Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59   #1

Boat: 40 ft Fuiji
Sea of Cortez Weather

We were planning to spend about one month in June or July on my brothers boat which we will use when we retire in about one year. We are virgin sailors but have a number of courses. My brother would spend up to a month training us on his boat but is only available in June and July as he is a teacher. The boat is currently in San Carlos Mexico. The question is, is the weather just plain too hot that time of the year? The boat has not got A/C. Any advice is appreciated

Terry
Terry Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 15:00   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Terry:

Was just down in San Carlos in May. It was hot but not unbearably so. Go earlier rahter than later and head for the Baja side ASAP. I've been told it is 10 degrees cooler over there. Being on the water as long as there is a breeze is good.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 15:03   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Treasure Harbor Marine is on Islamorada. Quite a ways North of Key West. Mom and Pop outfit with older functional boats (not pretty). Very Nice people.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 18:25   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Fallis
We were planning to spend about one month in June or July on my brothers boat which we will use when we retire in about one year. We are virgin sailors but have a number of courses. My brother would spend up to a month training us on his boat but is only available in June and July as he is a teacher. The boat is currently in San Carlos Mexico. The question is, is the weather just plain too hot that time of the year? The boat has not got A/C. Any advice is appreciated

Terry
We spent 4 years in Mexico in the 90's.
No air on a 35 sailboat.
after june, you'll cook.
Sex? What's that?

Steve
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 19:27   #5

Steve, thanks for the warning, we were planning on heading south to maybe Mazatlan then dry dock the boat for about another six months until we retire. Would the weather be any better down that far? Info I can find appears to show 80F to 85F for that area. I've heard of people using a small Honda generator and small A/C unit to help out a bit for short periods but sure how practical that is. It would be worth a try to get that sex thing under control.
Thanks again
Terry
Old 07-11-2006, 19:36   #6

Charlie, I've spent a couple weeks in Phoenix in July and survived but could escape to A/C. If my surfing the net is correct it appears to be cooler further south but would still need a week or more in San Carlos to make sure the boat still floats. It's been sitting for a long time. I know there is a wind scoop aboard but not sure how much that would help.
It sounds as though you think it may be do-able if we can get started in mid June or so.
Thanks for the info
Terry
Old 08-11-2006, 09:06   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
If you spend a week in San Carlos in June or July to work on the boat, it's a week you'll never forget.

After our fourth year cruising Mexico, we spent 2 weeks doing a bottom job and decomissioning the boat getting ready to truck it back to the Pacific NorthWet. We drank VAST amounts of icewater and didn't pee all day. Fortunately we were given use of an airconditioned house by some friends. It was a lifesaver. Their only request was that we leave it clean and not run the A/C all the time.

We came "home" at the end of the day (we also had a car) dropped our filthy clothes while under the shower and flopped into bed with the overhead fan above the bed on high and the A/C doing its best to keep up. By bedtime the house was down to about 80 f. In the morning with the A/C still on and not cycling the house was down to 74 or so. Just before sunrise, it's quite nice outside, but the instant that sun comes over the horizon all you want is shade. We didn't have much wind at all until maybe 2 or 3 pm, and then still not much.

Whenever you walk anywhere, you find yourself looking for shade if even for a second, like walking up the shadow of a telephone pole. Really.

There were restrooms and showers in Marina Seca, but I absolutely can't imagine living aboard under those conditions for more than a day or so, especially if you're on the hard.

Another thing to think about. Hurricane season...

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez