Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2016, 11:58   #1
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Schedules

I've read over and over the past 8 years while getting ready to cruise how schedules are the evil biggest danger to a cruiser. I always kind of wondered how cruisers can let themselves fall into this trap. But this past weekend I can see how easy it can be.

Both my wife and I are "retired" so we don't really have anything to make us be somewhere at a specific time (a schedule). This weekend we went out for what we intended to be a 3 day trip that involved sail legs each way of about a 10 hour sail, with the day between at the location. On the third day the weather of course wasn't as forecast, but it was doable even if just unpleasant, so we headed out as planned believing that it was not be as bad as forecast and would calm down during the day.

An hour out we were reefed, doing hull speed on a beat, getting bounced and rolled all over the place, wearing our life vests, and feeling upset that due to the conditions it was going to be at least another 12 hours for the return home trip.

Then we asked ourselves, "Hey why do we need to do this trip today?". Well it turns out the only reason was that the next day was trash pick-up and we had a bunch of trash bags that needed to go down. But when we asked "What happens if we don't take the trash down?" and the answer was "We take it down next week." the course of action was apparent.

So we turned around into a fast low stress deep reach and went back. The result was that we had to go to the store and decided to have dinner ashore that night. And the next day we had to motor back because as normal there was no wind after the storm day. But motoring was not a big deal as we weren't in a big hurry and didn't push the speed so it was pretty quiet and used probably $15 in fuel at that speed.

Moral of the story: pay real attention to "why" you need to make a scheduled trip and ask "or what" to it.

BTW - the trash went down as I got my daughter (she who I provided for 28 years) to go over and take it down for pick-up

Old 18-08-2016, 12:30   #2

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Re: Schedules

Very good point.

I wonder how long it takes the average person before they finally get into a "cruiser" mentality

Old 18-08-2016, 13:49   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

What a despicable father you are to force that nice young girl to drag around your dirty, nasty, filthy trash.
Shame on you!
I'll be she's tainted for life.

Apart from that, yep, its so easy to be suddenly forced into a schedule. You, obviously, did the right thing

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 13:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Exactly. Many a time we never get to the 'why' point.

But it does not have to be this way and you have proven the point.

THX for sharing!

b.
Old 18-08-2016, 13:58   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What a despicable father you are to force that nice young girl to drag around your dirty, nasty, filthy trash.
Shame on you!
I'll be she's tainted for life.

Apart from that, yep, its so easy to be suddenly forced into a schedule. You, obviously, did the right thing
Yep, you brought her into this world, don't you think you have a responsibility to see her through it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: