Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 05:38   #1

Boat: Dartsailer 27; 27' Dutch Motorsailer
SC - Chesapeake - NYC/Hudson Spring2014

New to the forum, couldn't find much newer information on post-Sandy cruising. Need help laying out a single-handed route for me and my home, Night Watch, 27' Dartsailer motorsailer. 10' beam, 39' mast (tabernacle to 9', but a pain), less than 4' draft. Iron wind: 48 hp Perkins 4-108 diesel, vintage 1980, so now @ 25hp. Fuel consumption: @ 1 gal/hr.; oil consumption almost that much! I'm coming from my current home in Port Royal Landing Marina, SC, up the ditch to Norfolk area, then....boldly go where this man has not gone before!

Right now looking for detailed information on northbound Chesapeake to NYC route(s), especially post-Sandy. I love to sail, but single handing makes safe overnights impossible. I don't have a genset, so have only 12v when anchoring. Probably want to dock at a marina about every 3rd-4th day. I need a course that a motor yacht could take, but would also lend itself to daysailing or motor jibbing. I have time for the slow boat and route.

I'll have dockage in the Hudson River around Croton/Ossining for June/July, maybe some of August. I have two daughters in NYC, one Manhattan, one Brooklyn, so I'll be an hour train ride north of the city. Looking forward to seeing the 4th of July fireworks from our own boat in the harbor! Maybe north for a while to Massachusetts, etc., or just dawdle in the Chesapeake going home. Expect to end up in SC again, maybe Florida or AVI/BVI next winter. Too cold here this winter!
Capn Ron, Night Watch
Attachment has details on Night Watch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dartsailer 27.pdf (297.8 KB, 138 views)
MVNightWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 06:10   #2

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Re: SC - Chesapeake - NYC/Hudson Spring2014

Nice looking boat you have there. Good Luck...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:52   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard Capt. Ron! (Very cool boat!) The cleanup and dredging in NJ has the route back to mostly normal conditions, though you'll want to have an updated guidebook or other references for facilities...some are still not open or will not be reopening, while others don't have the same amenities as before the storm (some have actually rebuilt with more amenities). With reasonably spaced inlets, stopping each night isn't a problem. With the tabernacle, you even have the option of staying on the inside the entire route if there's extended winds higher than your comfort level. The Delaware Bay can be nasty too, so wait for the right weather and ride the current. (If you're planning to get the Waterway Guide Northern Edition, wait until the 2014 comes out in late February since it will have all the updated facility and mile-by-mile navigation info...send me a private message and I'll get you a discount.) Happy cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:43   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Capn Ron, I can suggest several points along the upper Chesapeake...

But why the oil consumption?

-Chris
Old 14-01-2014, 05:53   #5

Boat: beneteau OC 352

capt ron, cant help south of NJ .. but be advised, the current going in and out of the inlets on the jersey coast can be fast.. a nice spot about halfway up the coast is the Manasquan river, theres fuel, food/ bar and when you get to NYC id stop at the 79th street boat basin. you can moor up there for $30 a day(a fraction the cost in NYC) cheap food and 2 blocks from the subway , easy for your daughters to meet you. you can get a slip as well for about $3 ft but because of the barges going up and down the Hudson the wake is a little "bumpy" at the dock.. my wife and I LOVE this spot, if you plan on being in the area for 4th july..whatever you do, anchor up and don't move.. the police will have a strong presence and are just looking for boaters drinking and driving...big time revenue
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 06:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Capn Ron, I can suggest several points along the upper Chesapeake...

But why the oil consumption?

-Chris
Just my sense of humor. A reference to the Kurt Russell film I admire. I also remember an old joke from my childhood, "Check the gas, and fill up the oil!" said to the gas pump jockey. Still funny in NJ I guess. My old Perkins 4-108 is infamous for having the same "generous" tolerances British sports car engines had at that time, thus supporting the petrochemical industry by blowing fluids out. Much of mine comes just at the dock, weeping and seeping into the bilge, seemingly out of the pores of the cast iron block. In reality, probably bad gaskets, and she'd benefit from a rebuild. I've only put @ 85 hours on her; just got the cooling problems chased away, waiting for "more to be revealed." Maybe I'll try torqueing things down...

Bill Wilson
Old 14-01-2014, 06:14   #7

knot smart, thanks! I actually found the 79th St Basin by rumor and Google search last summer, walked the docks, and talked to staff. Wouldn't want to stay there long, too pricey and too bumpy, as you say!! I've been arranging dockage up the Hudson, Half Moon Bay/Haverstraw area for some 6 weeks June/July. Not totally firm yet, but hopeful. An hour to two on the MetroNorth line and voila! GCT at half-price Medicarefare.

I'll look over the charts and your local knowledge with many thanks. Might be back in touch for more details if you don't mind.
CapnRon

Bill Wilson
Old 15-01-2014, 05:25   #8

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNightWatch View Post
knot smart, thanks! I actually found the 79th St Basin by rumor and Google search last summer, walked the docks, and talked to staff. Wouldn't want to stay there long, too pricey and too bumpy, as you say!! I've been arranging dockage up the Hudson, Half Moon Bay/Haverstraw area for some 6 weeks June/July. Not totally firm yet, but hopeful. An hour to two on the MetroNorth line and voila! GCT at half-price Medicarefare.

I'll look over the charts and your local knowledge with many thanks. Might be back in touch for more details if you don't mind.
CapnRon

anytime, another thought, if youre coming up the coast and you make one last stop before NYC. go to Atlantic Highlands marina. they have a free anchorage for transient sailors. they built a huge jetty so its protected , flat as a glass even when its blowin. fuel , food , bar and for a couple of bucks($5-10) they'll shuttle you back and forth on the launch boat. this is a 1st rate marina and since SAndy , everything is brand spanky new. if you feel like stretching your legs, its a 5 min walk into town
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:16   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNightWatch View Post
Just my sense of humor. A reference to the Kurt Russell film I admire. I also remember an old joke from my childhood, "Check the gas, and fill up the oil!" said to the gas pump jockey. Still funny in NJ I guess. My old Perkins 4-108 is infamous for having the same "generous" tolerances British sports car engines had at that time, thus supporting the petrochemical industry by blowing fluids out. Much of mine comes just at the dock, weeping and seeping into the bilge, seemingly out of the pores of the cast iron block. In reality, probably bad gaskets, and she'd benefit from a rebuild. I've only put @ 85 hours on her; just got the cooling problems chased away, waiting for "more to be revealed." Maybe I'll try torqueing things down...

Ah, yes, British sports cars... with electrics by Lucas... Prince of Darkness

So... check these areas on your charts:
- Solomons Island, MD (mouth of the Patuxent River), A or M
- Knapp's Narrows (between Bay and Choptank R), M
- Deale, A or M
- Galesville/West and Rhode Rivers, A or M
- Harness Creek, South River, near Annapolis, A
(actually representative of several good anchorages on the South, Severn, and Magothy Rivers)
- Annapolis, A or M
- St. Michaels, Miles River, A or M
- Kent Narrows (between Eastern Bay/Miles River and Chester River), M
- Rock Hall, A or M
- Bal'mer (but that'd maybe be too long a diversion)
- Still Pond
- Sassafras River, A (or all the way up to Georgetown, M)
- Havre d'Grace, M (not sure if good anchorage there or not)
- Chesapeake City (halfway along C&D Canal), A or M
- Delaware City (eastern end of C&D), M

A = anchorage, M = marinas

Once you have a feel for where all those are... maybe you can begin to work out distances between your stops and so forth... and then we can home in on which of those might suit your purposes better along the way.

Depending on how much time you've got, and whether you've been here before or not, I'd say Annapolis is a must do, Solomons area is very nice, then places like Rock Hall and Chesapeake City might be logical stopovers. St. Michaes,, OTOH, may be to far out of the way, even if it is a nifty town to visit. In any case, most of those places have various combinations of town and solitude, so you can pick and choose.

Fresh gaskets and proper torque are good things

-Chris
Old 16-01-2014, 14:42   #10

Boat: P30

not sure how often you'll be heading into NYC but Haverstraw could get to be a hassle. ferry ride across the Hudson to Ossining and metro-north to GCT. Ossining may be a better choice. ferry doesn't run on Sundays...
Brooklyn is a long haul from Haverstraw.
that said: Haverstraw is a good marina with good facilities.
an earlier poster mentioned Atlantic Highlands +1 first rate w/ ferry service into Manhattan
I think there are a couple of places in Sheepshead Bay that may also work but not sure.
Interesting boat - Enjoy the ride up
Old 17-01-2014, 03:17   #11

Ranger42c - I had an early 70's MGB. I know. Smoke poured out of the dash when you turned on the defroster. The Top Gear guys say the best British roadsters are now made by the Germans. I bought a 99 BMW M Roadster ragtop. Wow! Thanks for the detailed information. I've got time and cold weather to review it.

Smaarch- Thanks, but I just confirmed Half Moon Bay Marina, Croton-on-Hudson, East bank, a few (difficult by Google Maps) blocks from Croton-Harmon Station stop on MetroNorth. 1 hour and $6.50 later and this Senior rider is in GCT, 4 blocks from my grandson and one daughter, and a half hour subway/bus from the other. Train works both ways, as well. This is from June 15 to July 26, so I may go on farther north, go home, or stay in Sheepshead Bay or other nearby spot for a while. If nothing else, I can take the rest of the late summer and fall to get back to Port Royal, SC, before Thanksgiving.

Bill Wilson
Old 17-01-2014, 04:37   #12

well that sounds great. I think you'll enjoy the river. some of the best scenery anywhere. Just north of Croton, past the bear mountain bridge - garrison, cold spring, West Point, Bannerman's Castle, etc. If you have the time it is well worth it. The river in this part is a deep, narrow and twisty cut, with a fast current. last i was that way we were in 140 feet - 30' from the cliffs. Cold Spring is a great stop for dinner.
there's also a great little restaurant in Croton: The Ocean House. also well worth it. I think it is still BYOB.
Yes the train station is a bit of a hike from Half Moon but completely doable.

One more point: while transisting the river take care on clearling the Tappen Zee Bridge. Contruction for the new bridge is gearing up and the Mariners notice states "up to 100 barges" will be engaged in the effort. By the time you arrive this monster will be in place:
http://www.lohud.com/VideoNetwork/29...Bridge-project

The center channel will be narrower by several hundred feet from what is indicated on the charts. Given the activity i would recommend doing this during daylight.

We're south but often anchor in the cove west of Half Moon. Will keep an eye out for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf navigational-lights-map.pdf (267.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 17-01-2014, 09:14   #13

Voyager/smaarch- thanks for the heads up and the pdf of the TZ bridge lights. Should be interesting! How fast does that current run? We get up to 2.5kts here in tidal currents sometimes (10+ feet of vertical change!). Night Watch's hull speed is just over 5kts, so it's interesting sometimes. Any other local knowledge on river vs. estuary/bay sailing which I normally do?

Bill Wilson
Old 17-01-2014, 11:12   #14

From the Battery to Croton the current is about 2.5kts. one strategy is time the tide from Sandy Hook/Atlantic highlands to clear the Narrows and the Battery and ride the tide up the river. . I'm guessing the high is about 2 hours later at Haverstraw which will give you 8 hours of favorable. about 40 miles up river to Croton - if you time it right you should have the tide with you the entire way.

local knowledge...
NY Harbor is a blast, and the commercial traffic will keep you on your toes, especially the ferries.
Post 911 New York has several security zones. one on the Hudson is at the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier docked at 46th St.
There may be another at the Statue of Liberty??? not sure.
East River is at the United Nations
Stand off 300 yards.

something strange happens at the TZ Bridge, a sort of micro environment. Without fail everytime I'm setup to cross midspan -just when approaching, the winds get varied and inconsistent. The bridge effects the wind patterns. I usually keep the motor ticking in idle for safety.

South of the bridge the Palisades also effect wind patterns, especially from the west. Summer squalls always come from the west, (and usually T storms as well) so they also offer good protection.

The Indian name for the river means "the river that flows both ways". Depending on the the stage of the tide you can see opposite currents in the river at the same time. You can use this to your favor.

The shore line (east and west) is dotted with old piles, sometimes submerged. they are all marked on the charts so not really a problem.

Holding is good along the Palisades if you decide to anchor. Just keep a watch for the tide change (and piles). you'll be riding bow to tide, not necessarily bow to wind.

There's a recent rock slide that is worth a stop and a hike opposite Hastings. Deceptive until you set foot on it and impressive. the rocks are the size of buses.

A friend took this picture and sent it with a message: "Get Back to Work" which i need to do! perfect quite day.

Enjoy - it's a beautiful river
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130929_173257.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	74160  
Old 17-01-2014, 16:22   #15

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I have cruised between Chesapeake and mid Hudson for many years in the past. I have no knowledge of storm changes, however the sand and mud shifts constantly in many places big storm or not. Best to get recent local knowledge as you go north CG will provide that at many places. If you are alone go inside unless weather is really good and you are sure of the inlet you are heading for. You will have to go outside at two places along the Jersey shore one south end where you will tuck into cape may the other longer from Manasquan to NY harbor. Study the currents and tides for NY and the rivers best when they are with you. also watch out for current at Manasquan and bridge near inlet. There are docks and many gunk holes all along inside route. A reliable motor able to push you more than 5k is important if you want a reasonably smooth trip. Be warned there are big mosquitoes and nasty green flies really bad in some places. Have plenty repellant and screens I suggest one of those bee keeper type hats with netting and light gloves.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, Hudson, nyc