Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2005, 12:10   #16

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Looking at interim coastal cruisers for PNW

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'm beginning the to think we're on the right track with the kids by doing so much sailing with them-- both enjoy their "tiller time," and my son isn't happy if he doesn't get to raise the jib on our Cal 20. Yesterday we had a wonderful sail on it.

We looked hard at the 1972 Ericson this weekend, but it had some issues that put us off. The 1979 Islander 28 had a lot more fundamentals going for it (nice interior, good sail inventory), but it wasn't perfect. There's a hair-line crack on the deck like a half circle around the shrouds, for example, but I don't think that any '79 boat will be perfect on the decks. Here's a link to the boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...hesailinglife&

I think the Islander 28 could be a winner for our intended cruising on the Columbia River (out of Portland) and eventually over the Columbia bar and up to Puget Sound. I also like the learning challenge of maintaining a Volvo diesel.

As for the wife, she's taken to sailing in a major way. We've received our first two ASA certifications together, and she likes to sail without me, taking out friends on the river until after dark sometimes. Her enthusiasm is probably the best asset our plans have so far.

Thanks again!

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 12:38   #17

Boat: currently "on the beach"
moisture meter and sounding will tell if deck has a real problem, but i think you know that. many on this site will help with ways to add support for shroud if needed.
eight posts and looking to buy. oh, the power of the forum.
i'm jealous - that was a wonderful time for our family. goes by fast. take photos.
congrats ! keep us posted.

capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote