Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30   #1
F51

Sarasota--cruiser friendly?

We are thinking of making a stop in Sarasota on our way down the FL west coast. How are the anchorages in Sarasota Bay about cruisers? Any hassles?
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Sarasota--cruiser friendly?

There's a rental mooring field there and I think you are supposed to stay 150 feet from it, but I have heard that the distance requirement is not being enforced. There is still plenty of anchoring room, though you might be a little further away than in the past. Here's an excerpt from a press release when the law went into effect last year:

Quote:
Specifically, the ordinance prohibits anchoring and mooring of vessels outside of mooring fields for more than 90 consecutive days. Vessels also must be at least 150 feet from the mooring field or any waterfront property.
“There is an exception to the time and distance restrictions for mechanical and weather issues. Also, the rules can be suspended due to a lack of space in the mooring fields, and during special events,” Daugherty said.
It will also be illegal to anchor, moor or tie-off a vessel to city property except when loading and unloading; dinghies will also be allowed to anchor, moor or tie-off for periods of 12 hours or less. The ordinance specifies enforcement duties, which will be undertaken by local law enforcement and the FWC, and penalties for violating the regulations.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by F51 View Post
We are thinking of making a stop in Sarasota on our way down the FL west coast. How are the anchorages in Sarasota Bay about cruisers? Any hassles?
Sarasota leaves something to be desired unless you have fairly shallow draft. Just to the north, however, there are some excellent anchorages along the Manatee River at the south end of Tampa Bay that we use often. Both areas are pretty cruiser friendly. Check out Activecaptain.com for some good insight on the locale.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Sarasota leaves something to be desired unless you have fairly shallow draft. Just to the north, however, there are some excellent anchorages along the Manatee River at the south end of Tampa Bay that we use often. Both areas are pretty cruiser friendly. Check out Activecaptain.com for some good insight on the locale.

The Manatee river is nice with plenty of places to anchor. Plus, if you decide later you want to stay in a marina, you can go farther up and pull into Twin Dolphin. One of the nicer marinas we have found.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:10   #5

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The Manatee river is nice with plenty of places to anchor...
Agree with that--I have a friend who live on the Manatee near the RR bridge and there is plenty of room to anchor.

If you belong to a Yacht Club, there might be reciprocity privileges at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron, just inside New Pass Inlet.

I have crewed in a number of regattas there, and it is a very "down-to-earth" club--low cost membership and plenty of volunteers. Great atmosphere--definitely not the stereotypical "stodgy" YC.

I'm pretty sure they have a mooring field--you may be able to rent one there. The closer you can get to the bridge, the more protected you are and the closer you are to town and shops. Check the charts to see if they show any anchorages.

Marshall
Old 12-03-2013, 03:00   #6

Boat: Hullmaster 27

We used to anchor on up on the Manitee River by Desoto park I think it was, at least on that side and use Riverview Marina to dock the dingy. I think that old guy is named Ray that runs the marina there. It was quet anyhow.
Rumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote