Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 20:19   #1

San Diego to Marina del Rey

Hey folks,
After exhausting the "Search" function, it seems I'm left with no choice but to start a thread - apologies if I missed something in my searching.

I've been asked to deliver a 31' Hunter from San Diego to Marina del Rey. I've found cruisers' blogs from folks who have made the trip, but the specifics are glossed over (time, course, fuel, etc). My conundrum is as follows:

I have Wednesdays and Thursdays off from my 9-5 gig, but Wednesday evening is the Beer Can Race in San Diego, and I finally scored a crew position on a J-120 that I'd really like to hang on to. Barring any unfortunate events, would it be realistic to leave San Diego (Fiddler's Cove) on Tuesday evening around 8:30, motor-sail overnight to MDR, and catch a train back in time to be at SD Yacht Club Wednesday at 4:30 for race check-in?

Any feedback, pertinent sea stories, suggestions, etc are very much appreciated. And if this is a fool's errand, feel free to call it like you see it

Thanks, everybody.

-Peter
Pcunningham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:06   #2

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: San Diego to Marina del Rey

I think you would be hard pressed to make that happen.

The Amtrak schedule for Wednesdays says you have to be on the train In LA at 1230 and arrives in SD at 315pm. The next one leaves at 300pm and arrives at 547.

So now you're looking at less than 16 hours to leave from Fiddlers cove to Marina Del Ray. Fiddler's is at least 2 hours from the ocean so now your down to 12-14 hours to go 110 miles or so (a rough guess looking at google maps).

I think you're SOL on that plan.

If you leave on Wednesday night after the race. You'll have 24+ hours to do it and get on a train that will arrive Friday EARLY morning or late Thursday night.

Also, it should be noted that Amtrak doesn't always run every Surfliner. Sometimes they put you on a grey hound bus.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:45   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Wow, Yeti,

What a great, well researched response. My hat's off to you.
Ann
Old 29-05-2015, 23:10   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Good call Yeti. I have not done that stretch, but I just went from Long Beach up to Channel Islands, and I thought I had planned in plenty of extra time, but going uphill, there always seems to be something unforeseen, or underestimated, that slows me down. How fast is the Hunter motoring against some swell, wind and currents? According to my iSail app it is 100 nm at straight shots Point Loma to MDR. Can the boat keep up a steady 4 knots for 25 hours uphill? Might be nice to have AIS in that stretch approaching LA harbor.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 23:19   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

oops, forgot, Marina Del Rey is not close at all to any train stations. You could take a cab I guess in to the LA station, it's quite a ways. Do you have any really good friends who might be willing to drive up and pick you up?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 06:43   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from san diego to mdr is 100 ish miles. last time i did the run between sd and la harbor it took 19 hours. that was 90 miles.
so it should take you less than 24 hours to go from fiddlers cove to marina del rey.
realistically
have fun.
getting out oif mdr--you will want to take a taxi to the train station or airport. airport is very close to marina, and slightly north of it.
train station in lost angeles is downtown lost angeles, or 30 miles away from mdr.
or call a friend
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 07:44   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

To confirm the post above, my boat (36 ft waterline and 44 hp engine) took 19 hours from Shelter Island to Long Beach. Add another 4 hours to Marina Del Rey. Then you can taxi and fly to SD if the schedules work for you.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 08:47   #8

And there is a southerly current of .5 to .8 knots as well.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:01   #9

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Don't know how well you know the boat nor the situation, ( sales delivery, friends boat etc.) but in my experience you are looking @ 24hrs. if everything goes right. There is the rub though. Having a tight schedule and delivering a sailboat is a bad place to get oneself. Postpone the delivery until yoou have all the time possibly needed? Gettiing from Fiddler's to the Harbor mouth and then around the kelp beds could eat 2-3 hours by itself.
As a contingency you might look at Oceanside harbor or Dana Point as a stop off and both within walking distance to Amtrak.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:51   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

If you can plan to arrive in AM Wed or Thursday I can get you to the train station for the 12:30 train. just let me know. I left San Diego last year in a Beneteau 38 at 3m and was in MDR by 10 AM. We had a great sail up until Midnight but after that it was the usual slog
Mark
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 11:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcunningham88 View Post
Hey folks,
After exhausting the "Search" function, it seems I'm left with no choice but to start a thread - apologies if I missed something in my searching.

I've been asked to deliver a 31' Hunter from San Diego to Marina del Rey. I've found cruisers' blogs from folks who have made the trip, but the specifics are glossed over (time, course, fuel, etc). My conundrum is as follows:

I have Wednesdays and Thursdays off from my 9-5 gig, but Wednesday evening is the Beer Can Race in San Diego, and I finally scored a crew position on a J-120 that I'd really like to hang on to. Barring any unfortunate events, would it be realistic to leave San Diego (Fiddler's Cove) on Tuesday evening around 8:30, motor-sail overnight to MDR, and catch a train back in time to be at SD Yacht Club Wednesday at 4:30 for race check-in?

Any feedback, pertinent sea stories, suggestions, etc are very much appreciated. And if this is a fool's errand, feel free to call it like you see it

Thanks, everybody.

-Peter
My view: Yacht Deliveries always take longer than expected.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 20:25   #12

Wow everybody, thank you so much for the replies. I'm thinking it might make sense to take the boat from Fiddler's to Mission Bay first thing Wednesday, show up for the beer cans that evening, and head out after the race for MDR. You've all been an incredible help. I'm up in Washington for a wedding at the moment but I'll keep you all posted on the plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Pcunningham88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego