Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 13:46   #1

Boat: Colvin Gazelle
San Diego Mooring Waiting List

Any one know who I need to contact to get a mooring (Be put on a list?) for my 42' sailboat in the San Diego Area?
Old 09-02-2012, 15:03   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: San Diego Mooring waiting list

Contact the San Diego Mooring Company
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:11   #3

We've been on the wait list for America's Cup Harbor for three years now, and we're next in line. Have been for about six months now. Not that I'm counting.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:25   #4

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We've been on the wait list for America's Cup Harbor for three years now, and we're next in line. Have been for about six months now. Not that I'm counting.
Yes, but when are you heading South?

I remember some folks in Mexico who abruptly cut their cruise short and bashed North because they finally got a slip in Santa Barbara.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Yes, but when are you heading South?

I remember some folks in Mexico who abruptly cut their cruise short and bashed North because they finally got a slip in Santa Barbara.
A year and a half from now, so hopefully if we get it in the next six months that's a year of slip fees we can save up (which is $12K or so; a nice chunk of change).

And of course this three year wait is just for a sublease. We also put our names on the list for a permanent mooring, which will probably be ready by the time we make a leisurely circumnavigation. Honestly if the permanent is ready before we're back I'll fly home, buy a 16' skiff, and secure that to the ball and pay the monthly rate just to ensure it's there waiting for us when we get back.
Old 09-02-2012, 17:15   #6

Yikes those are Horror stories
Thank you
Old 10-02-2012, 08:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazelle Family View Post
Yikes those are Horror stories
Thank you
There is quicker availability at "rock n' roll" (the place outside of Shelter Island along the main channel) and at Laurel Street (where you can hear the USCG helicopters slightly drowning out the sounds of the jet engines at the airport).

But the place everyone wants to be is America's Cup Harbor, hence the long wait.
Old 10-02-2012, 13:28   #8

I spent a very long night at Rock and roll as a kid in a light boat...more scary than the Columbia Bar!
I guess I will apply for a down town Ball The SD Mooring co. said about a year??
Thanks Rebel Heart
Old 10-02-2012, 15:09   #9

Quote:
I spent a very long night at Rock and roll as a kid in a light boat...more scary than the Columbia Bar!
I guess I will apply for a down town Ball The SD Mooring co. said about a year??
Thanks Rebel Heart
A year for Laurel Street (downtown / Embarcadero) sounds about right. Maybe less for rock and roll, probably 2-3 years for America's Cup Harbor. Drop your name on the on the America's Cup one as well if you can. You're much more protected, there's much less traffic, and it's quite. The proximity to Shelter Island is fantastic. Probably the most boat yards and chandleries in any one place in the entire world.
Old 10-02-2012, 15:13   #10

Dang.. The Mooring Co. said i could only wait on one list at a time.Does one wait for years for Americas cup Harbor or take the Laurel st.?? I havnt really spent time in SD in years but I remember Tons of Homeless people around Laurel st. and the Downtown area..
Old 10-02-2012, 15:32   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

gonna be fussy about locale--sail out.... i have a mooring at coronado i have had since 1999 december--i sailed out of sd because i had 2 moorings, one for each of my boats. coronado is a decent place. laurel street changes face frequently--isnt as close to downtown sd as one might think. i was in that area for a coupla few years, as prior to edict of 3 months only in a-9 anchorage, i was on opb for 4 yrs in that anchorage.
good luck and may you find a mooring where you think you need it. there was NO list for waiting in 1999--i had choice of whichever of 5 moorings there i wanted--i chose the best in the field. still have it for my ericson.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 18:50   #12

Quote:
Dang.. The Mooring Co. said i could only wait on one list at a time.Does one wait for years for Americas cup Harbor or take the Laurel st.?? I havnt really spent time in SD in years but I remember Tons of Homeless people around Laurel st. and the Downtown area..
It might be kind of sneaky but maybe have your brother or something put his name on the Laurel street one, and have you put your name on the other. Slightly underhanded, but hardly that bad.

Personally I'd eat the slip fees and wait out for America's Cup, which is what we're doing right now. One thing that's nice is that we have "dinghy privileges" at our same marina once we're on the ball and we'll pay per foot for our 8' dinghy. The same storage unit, the same rec room / fitness room, the same parking, the same laundry, the same showers/restrooms, etc. Additionally we're on great terms with the marina manager so if we need to pull in for a day or two to load equipment or conduct repairs it's no big deal.

Laurel street is noisy, the parking is horrible, and there are some shady people around there. I had my truck broken into twice, and nearly had an outboard stolen. There are just a lot of scumbags that roll around there.

The noise is really horrible. Don't take my word for it though. Go by some day and just rope off to an empty ball and give it a few hours. Listen to the planes taking off across the street with their jet wash aimed at you, or the Coast Guard choppers hovering 10' off the deck for an hour as they do drills.

Screw that. If you're not living on the boat that's one thing. But if you're planning on living on the boat, get to America's Cup by hook or by crook.
Old 12-02-2012, 13:22   #13

coronado is a much overlooked locale and very quiet--even more so than commercial basin, aka ac harbor.
Old 12-02-2012, 20:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
coronado is a much overlooked locale and very quiet--even more so than commercial basin, aka ac harbor.
Does San Diego Mooring Company run those too, the ones down near the approach to Glorrietta?
Old 14-02-2012, 11:33   #15

Re: San Diego Mooring Waiting List

san diego mooring company runs all the moorings in san diego bay, while the anchorages are run by the harbor police.

Tags
mooring, san diego