Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2016, 17:53   #31

Boat: On the hunt for a 30' +- cruiser
Re: San Diego Mooring Waiting List

Thanks for the reply Zee! I'll be joining your SSSSM group soon too.... just have to wait til November when its official and then I'll start looking for a co-captain : )

Old 26-07-2016, 18:19   #32

Boat: Cascade 36

Its been my experience that Pier 32 doesn't want you there if your boat isn't "pretty". They are not interested in boats under repair

CYM Chula Vista and Chula Vista Marina welcomes pretty much everyone with a recent survey. I believe they allow liveaboard on 32' or bigger.

I was on temporary status at Laurel St (A-3) mooring field for about 6 months from 9/2012 until 3/2013. Temp status is $225/month. The "permanent" spot cost $138.02/month.

If you don't mind extra bobbing around on a morring you can probably get a spot on the outside of Shelter Island fairly quick. Those moorings are the cheapest at around $120/month and are affectionately known as "Rock and Roll".

Old 26-07-2016, 18:49   #33

I just bought a 32 footer amd, will be leaving out of Chula Vista this weekend. It looks like there's room to me. My boat was about 750 a month to love there. I don't think there's a waiting list. They were a little pissy that I wasn't staying past the end of the month.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-10-2016, 14:18   #34

A friend just called saying he may buy a 33' sailboat in Socal. He may need a morning in San Diego (he will be staying aboard most of the time)

What does everyone on a mooring do about water tank refills and showers?
And pumpouts?
He is looking at Laurel St. Or Coronado.
Any government or blog links to recent accurate info very appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2016, 17:48   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there are temp moorings in all areas of sd bay except commercial basin, aka ac harbor.
those are only 2 times the price and you may need to change balls occasionally as you await your permanent mooring, but they are available through vanessa
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:21   #36

Hey Zeehag!
Thanks. But he needs to know where he can shower and how to refill his water tanks without paying for a guest slip. Is there a public dock by Coronado? And is there one nearby Laurel St too?
I don't want him to buy this boat and then be forced to take a slip down there if he can't hack a mooring (because I know he can't afford Socal slip prices!).
Old 08-10-2016, 18:33   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

if his boat is in coronado tidelands moorings, the municipal pool is 2 usd unless old or disabled, in which case it is 1 usd. just shower is 1 usd.
there is a beach landing, as it is a roadstead mooring and cheaper than the laurel street.. water--converse with the neighbors --we had ways to do everything. store 4-5 blocks away, albertsons. i liked this location best once i got used to it--i was at laurel street and cruisers anchorage for 3? years. 1996-1999.

rock n roll hell sucks. too much traffic and thieves. ha . but the neighbors are coool.

laurel street has 2 docks. store farther away but the mexican consulate is just up the street. look for ray with the boxer dog on the trimaran--he can help but you best tell him i sent ye. no shower capability at laurel street. water is on the inspection dock at the pump out station. dono t try to fill tanks on a sat--that is vsc day haha ha ha . stores are a bike or car ride. watch traffic they are killers

sometimes i used to take ferry to coronado to food shop from laurel street..many ways to get stuff done.
Old 09-10-2016, 18:39   #38

Great stuff, thanks Zee, you're always a great resource!
I am going to suggest he goes on the waitlist for Laurel. We want to ensure he has easy access to water tank refills - he is single: gotta keep his dishes clean and him smelling good, ha!
Old 09-10-2016, 23:07   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Great stuff, thanks Zee, you're always a great resource!
I am going to suggest he goes on the waitlist for Laurel. We want to ensure he has easy access to water tank refills - he is single: gotta keep his dishes clean and him smelling good, ha!
there is no wait for temp last i heard. coronado or laurel st good. easy 2.5 mi run to vsc dock from coronado. we used to fill jugs on beach n row back . muni pool was good for showers n swimming n workout.

Tags
mooring, san diego

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: