Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 23:45   #16

Re: San Diego Mooring waiting list

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
A year and a half from now, so hopefully if we get it in the next six months that's a year of slip fees we can save up (which is $12K or so; a nice chunk of change).

And of course this three year wait is just for a sublease. We also put our names on the list for a permanent mooring, which will probably be ready by the time we make a leisurely circumnavigation. Honestly if the permanent is ready before we're back I'll fly home, buy a 16' skiff, and secure that to the ball and pay the monthly rate just to ensure it's there waiting for us when we get back.
Hi rebel heart. I'm carefully studying the possibility of making a boat my primary home and would like it to be in San Diego. Now, got scared with the $12K of a year slip fees you mentioned. What is that about? Yikes!
Marinahck02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 00:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinahck02

Hi rebel heart. I'm carefully studying the possibility of making a boat my primary home and would like it to be in San Diego. Now, got scared with the $12K of a year slip fees you mentioned. What is that about? Yikes!
It's pricey here, and we just got a letter about the costs going up. Happily for us it's next month which is when we're leaving, but I think it's around $800/month for our 43' of boat (end to end, with a tape measure). Tack on another $150 for a liveaboard fee, then another $50 for an additional person (I'm married). Happily they haven't charged us for our two year old.

There are some cheaper places in San Diego, especially down in South Bay (Chula Vista). But that's a hell of a drive every day back and forth from San Diego if you need to commute, and even if you don't, Chula Vista is sort of in no man's land. Really depends on what you're into and whether you need to be up in the middle of boat world (Shelter Island).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 00:23   #18

Re: San Diego Mooring Waiting List

Thanks for such a prompt response. I do need to look for a safe place since I'll be by myself and I'm a woman. Also I'm looking for a boat between 28' and 32'. That might help minimize the costs
Thanks so much for the help.
Old 29-07-2012, 06:47   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

marinahchk--i lived on a mooring for loong time--i still have a coronado mooring for my other boat. the north bay marinas are very pricey-- many slips for living aboard in sd are more than 35 ft, as the trend was to have nothing under 35 ft f or live aboard boats. south bay is not as pricey as is the north bay, as it takes an hour plus to drive in the boat to get out of the bay for ocean sailing. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 21:59   #20

Hi there zeehag. Could you tell me about how much Coronado asks for a 30 ft and what would I be paying for. I'm trying to learn about Shelter Island and others in that area as well.
Old 29-07-2012, 22:34   #21

Boat: Hylas 47

You also need to pass a credit check for the San Diego Mooring Company. I didn't, since I was foreclosed on recently. I couldn't leave my boat in San Diego for more than two weeks.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 22:42   #22

Hi john540. Sorry to hear you didn't pass. I should be good on that. Do you know if there's a separate monthly payments, like one for the SD Mooring Co monthly rate and one for the marina slip of my choosing?
Old 30-07-2012, 08:41   #23

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I'm the lucky one I guess - I lived anchored out in the FREE anchorage in shelter bay for about a year - 1981 or 82. We had a bawl. There were some strange ducks living out there on the hook in those days but it was a fun time and a fun community to live in. I think we had the biggest sailboat there at the time.
The ''Gulfstream'' 72' s&s yawl. Which is now the "Alsumar" and totally restored. We had brought the Gulfstream from Fla and were on the last leg of the delivery and ran out of money and needed a cheap place to park for awhile. Too bad it doesnt exist anymore. Some places like that need to exist - not everyone on the planet can afford $800 a month slip fees.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:18   #24

You might try looking at Mission Bay for getting a slip. They are about $3-$4 less per foot on the charge, but your boat has to fit under the Mission Bay Bridge to het out of there. So depending on the height of your mast it might be an option. There are some mooring balls in the area but not sure what the charge is for them.
sixdaytk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:30   #25

are they now allowing live aboard in mission bay?? used to be ye couldonly stay on board 90 days per year....
all the moorings are run by same company. the marina in glorietta bay is same company and so is 32 st marina--all moorings are under 150 per month for permanent as far as i know. temps are double permanent rate. coronado was 28.xx so i just send 130 monthly for mine plus my friends caretaking charge i send...i still have a boat there...i dont know the slip fees in glorietta bay--close to 20 dollars per foot--or just under....chula vista and national city are less--about 16 ish dollars per fool--uncertain as to actual. only marina price i know was kona kai at 2000 dollars for a 50 ft live aboard slip
Old 30-07-2012, 11:39   #26

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

There are a couple marinas in Mission Bay outside the bridge. One is next to the Hyatt, on the right as you enter the bay. There are some free public moorings, but I believe there is a 72 hour limit for them.
Old 26-07-2016, 11:24   #27

Boat: Westsail 32

I know this is a very old thread..... I was wondering if those with up to date knowledge on the live aboard situation in SD could chime in. I am going to be buying a 30'-33' boat in the Jan-Feb time frame and want to live aboard. I would prefer a marina but a mooring would also suit me also. I will only be around SD for a year or so as I fit out for a departure south so waiting list's of x years wont work. Any thoughts????
Thanks,
John
Acadia Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 11:35   #28

the mooring list has been years long pretty much since its inception. there is a way around that wait.
go temporary, at double price, it is still less than marina space. speak with vanessa in the office.
prices have gone up since i left, but i paid 130 and size doesnt matter, unless over 55 ft.. temp was 260. donot know current fees. i had mooring b5 in the a 4 mooring field from dec 1999 until i left, april 2011. 1995-1999, i boatsat on anchor and mooring, and i resided on boats in each of the mooring fields from 1995-2011.
the best neighborhood is coronado tidelands.

mission bay is non liveaboard, and has been so for decades. .
Old 26-07-2016, 11:36   #29

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

No direct info but if you can't get a mooring look at Chula Vista Marina or Pier 32.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 11:45   #30

pier 32 is same people as mooring company-- just talk with karen, unless she has departed. vanessa is still there--she has info or can direct you to info by placing ye on hold so she can karen or her replacement.

Tags
mooring, san diego