Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 23:51   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Salt Water Crocs in the Whitsundays

I have a charter coming up in the Whitsundays and want to check if anyone knows if there are any Salt Water Crocs out on the islands - I know they are on the mainland.

Coming from WA where people are frequently taken by crocs, I know how dangerous they are, so would appreciate any first hand knowledge.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 00:13   #2

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Salt Water Crocs in the Whitsundays

Generally crocodiles do not go out into the open ocean and as such, the Whitsundays are normally considered crocodile free. Even further north in crocodile area (north of Townsville), it is safe to swim out on the islands and reef.

Crocodiles are also not generally considered a problem on the mainland in this area. I have swim in the water around here on the mainland, cleaning my boat for a hour or more. Rivers and creeks are a different matter, but none really close to Whitsundays.

There are places south of the Whitsundays where I would not swim (Fraser Island western side for example, Burnett River) as crocodiles have been seen relatively regularly in these areas.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 00:25   #3
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Generally crocodiles do not go out into the open ocean and as such, the Whitsundays are normally considered crocodile free. Even further north in crocodile area (north of Townsville), it is safe to swim out on the islands and reef.

Crocodiles are also not generally considered a problem on the mainland in this area. I have swim in the water around here on the mainland, cleaning my boat for a hour or more. Rivers and creeks are a different matter, but none really close to Whitsundays.

There are places south of the Whitsundays where I would not swim (Fraser Island western side for example, Burnett River) as crocodiles have been seen relatively regularly in these areas.

Thanks
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 00:43   #4

Plenty of people swimming around the Whitsunday islands, so crocs would be spoiled for choice.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:30   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Crocs have been seen swimming in Shute Bay, and I've heard rumours they have been seen on the odd occasion in Hill Inlet. Not common, but they are around occasionally. Most sightings in open water or along beaches are probably related to crocs moving around during breeding season. The good news is that during these times they seem more preoccupied with procreating then with eating people.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 13:19   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Got to go to Australia some day. So many things to kill you or just flat out eat you ! My wife doesn’t agree but this stuff makes life interesting.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 13:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Got to go to Australia some day. So many things to kill you or just flat out eat you ! My wife doesn’t agree but this stuff makes life interesting.
The most dangerous animal in the Whitsundays, and Great Barrier Reef in general, is a little teeny weeny jellyfish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish
Old 04-09-2018, 14:00   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Yes there are crocs in the Whitsundays area--not many, and some do frequenty islands and open sea. They tend to be light in colour--unlike the estuary crocs who turn mud-coloured after a year or two. Crocs match their environment.

Far more dangerous than the odd crocodile are the other nasties. Bull and Tiger sharks and the occasional Great White, and if in the water in the warmer months Irokanji and Box jellyfish. Places like Whitehaven have had shark attacks--one needs to keep one's eyes open.

My late father saw crocodiles on the beaches of islands many times, he passed through that area frequently, but that was many years ago. Since the Cane Toad infestation, there are many more crocs these days than before.

The Goanas, a kind of Monitor lizard and quite large, which were the main predators of crocodile eggs are now uncommon. Their demise came when they ate the poisonous toads some fools imported to "Eat the Sugar Cane Beetle" They did not. They ate everything else instead. Goanas are quite uncommon these days. Once there were millions of them, and about four or five hanging around each crocodile nest. Now almost all croc eggs hatch, instead of the few the mother was able to preserve from the Goanas and wild pigs.

Before swimming have a really good look around, the shore and the water. Crocs will see you before you see them--and will quietly submerge and lie on the bottom, sometimes for half an hour or longer.

NEVER assume any place is croc-free. It isn't as like as not--they are just well hidden.
Once I was putting out cyclone ropes, tying them to trees and mangroves. I walked within ten feet of one and never saw it. I was damn lucky that time. I was all roped off and having a cup of tea when it showed itself. I guess it just wasn't hungry--and it was about three metres in length. Had it gone for me, I would have stood no chance at all.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:04   #9

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Crocs have been seen swimming in Shute Bay, and I've heard rumours they have been seen on the odd occasion in Hill Inlet. Not common, but they are around occasionally. Most sightings in open water or along beaches are probably related to crocs moving around during breeding season. The good news is that during these times they seem more preoccupied with procreating then with eating people.
Don’t know if this would be worse than getting eaten?
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:16   #10

Boat: Mummery 34

Hi Wildlife Lovers,
We are so lucky to have all these creatures. Just need to respect them after all they are working hard to keep the area clean!!! In the far north local Aboriginals have a very deep respect for crocks especially. A prehistoric creature that's survives solely because of its stealth.

There doesn't seem to be any creatures left in Europe since I think the humans exterminated everything. I even wonder about cockroaches if there's any left.

We might eventually get crocks in Sydney since coral has just been found near Manly.
Sydney's marine life turning troppo as coral, other species head south - The Sydney Morning Herald
https://apple.news/AK_a5Q-4RSXCJdBwOk21pWg

Cheers Woody
goodoldwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 14:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Don’t know if this would be worse than getting eaten?

Yes. You'd be screwed, for sure.
Old 04-09-2018, 14:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Yes there are crocs in the Whitsundays area--not many, and some do frequenty islands and open sea. They tend to be light in colour--unlike the estuary crocs who turn mud-coloured after a year or two. Crocs match their environment.

Far more dangerous than the odd crocodile are the other nasties. Bull and Tiger sharks and the occasional Great White, and if in the water in the warmer months Irokanji and Box jellyfish. Places like Whitehaven have had shark attacks--one needs to keep one's eyes open.

My late father saw crocodiles on the beaches of islands many times, he passed through that area frequently, but that was many years ago. Since the Cane Toad infestation, there are many more crocs these days than before.

The Goanas, a kind of Monitor lizard and quite large, which were the main predators of crocodile eggs are now uncommon. Their demise came when they ate the poisonous toads some fools imported to "Eat the Sugar Cane Beetle" They did not. They ate everything else instead. Goanas are quite uncommon these days. Once there were millions of them, and about four or five hanging around each crocodile nest. Now almost all croc eggs hatch, instead of the few the mother was able to preserve from the Goanas and wild pigs.

Before swimming have a really good look around, the shore and the water. Crocs will see you before you see them--and will quietly submerge and lie on the bottom, sometimes for half an hour or longer.

NEVER assume any place is croc-free. It isn't as like as not--they are just well hidden.
Once I was putting out cyclone ropes, tying them to trees and mangroves. I walked within ten feet of one and never saw it. I was damn lucky that time. I was all roped off and having a cup of tea when it showed itself. I guess it just wasn't hungry--and it was about three metres in length. Had it gone for me, I would have stood no chance at all.

There's still some big Goannas on some of the islands.
Old 04-09-2018, 14:21   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yes. You'd be screwed, for sure.

Good one.
Old 04-09-2018, 14:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldwoody View Post
Hi Wildlife Lovers,
We are so lucky to have all these creatures. Just need to respect them after all they are working hard to keep the area clean!!! In the far north local Aboriginals have a very deep respect for crocks especially. A prehistoric creature that's survives solely because of its stealth.

There doesn't seem to be any creatures left in Europe since I think the humans exterminated everything. I even wonder about cockroaches if there's any left.

We might eventually get crocks in Sydney since coral has just been found near Manly.
Sydney's marine life turning troppo as coral, other species head south - The Sydney Morning Herald
https://apple.news/AK_a5Q-4RSXCJdBwOk21pWg

Cheers Woody

I thought the Sydney sewers were full of crocs already? All the baby ones that tourists sneak back from up north and flush once they get too big?

As far as distribution goes, crocs only extend down to about Rockhampton on the east coast. Some have been seen further south at times, but it will be a while before they reach the Biggest Smoke. Keep an eye out for Queensland's greatest export - the cane toad, though. They'll be there post haste sooner or later.
Old 04-09-2018, 14:54   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I was thinking maybe just stick to the pool. Perhaps not an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EF4F340-7EC4-4162-8488-06EBBF381BDE.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	176836  
Attached Images

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, water