Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 02:15   #1

Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Sailor Washed Overboard Drown, Is it becoming too commonplace.?
When do You clip on.?

Story Here Sail-World.com : He wasn't clipped on. Another sailor washed overboard drowns

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 02:38   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Very sad. Simpathy to the family.

Side note. I cant stand it when journos use the term "freak wave". It implies the wave isnt natural. Perhaps the term "larger than average wave" or "wave from an unexpected direction" would be better terms. The reality is that these waves are common place and we should prepare for them. By calling them a "freak" suggests they are rare and one in a million- Which they are not.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 04:16   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

All depends on the boat, the sea conditions as well as what I am doing.

On SG I rarely clip in. She is very sea kindly, stable, with strong and high lifelines and a walk-in cockpit.

Obviously offshore and in storm conditions, we sail conservatively, always transit on the high side if we have to leave the cockpit… and are harnessed to full length safety lines

If it ever gets to the point where I am concerned about breaking seas… we operate from the pilothouse.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 05:52   #4

Just a reminder you don't have to be in the middle of the ocean to die on a boat.
Old 21-03-2013, 06:17   #5

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

"His friend said he had managed to throw him a line, but the sailor drifted in and out of consciousness and slipped away."

Sounds like something might've knocked him silly before he went in.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:28   #6

Boat: contessa 32

Warning: While moving from a protected harbor to open water where a rapid change in depth and/or underwater ledges are hidden (observe steep cliffs nearby in photo) the unwary mariner may encounter confused seas and steeper breaking waves in that area as he heads into deeper water where sea conditions might be relatively benign .
Ok ,this was posted from my armchair on the other side of the planet and I know nothing of Australian waters so there could easily be other factors, but my caveat above still holds and conditions may be doubly dangerous when entering from seaward since one is lulled when observing the more rounded backsides of these steep-to breakers as they drive a vessel shoreward ,possibly even surfing ,towards the land.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:30   #7
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Just a reminder you don't have to be in the middle of the ocean to die on a boat.
You don’t even have to be underway. It only takes a moment of carelessness to slip and fall into the water whether it be from cleaning, repairs or just having a pee.

Sad reminder that it can and does happen if you become distracted
Old 21-03-2013, 06:38   #8

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I have been out since November, down to the VI's and (slowly) working my way back.

Three times on this trip, I have been asked what my jack lines were. Now, these questions came from Sailors.... Ok, so many do not clip in... But to not even know what they are for?

Weird.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 06:52   #9

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Our rule is anytime offshore. When you exit the companionway, you must be clipped in-NO EXCEPTIONS. Out of cockpit, clipped to jackline-NO EXCEPTIONS.
We also run a line outside from bow to opposite side stern cleat and carry an extra non-elastic lanyard. If you happen to fall over the lifelines, you clip on the outside line with the extra lanyard, and once secure, you unclip the first from the jackline and slide to the stern for recovery up the stern ladder.

This works, some will say overkill, but you won't get washed away from a large, unexpected wave.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 07:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Our rule is anytime offshore. When you exit the companionway, you must be clipped in-NO EXCEPTIONS. Out of cockpit, clipped to jackline-NO EXCEPTIONS.
We also run a line outside from bow to opposite side stern cleat and carry an extra non-elastic lanyard. If you happen to fall over the lifelines, you clip on the outside line with the extra lanyard, and once secure, you unclip the first from the jackline and slide to the stern for recovery up the stern ladder.

This works, some will say overkill, but you won't get washed away from a large, unexpected wave.
Don't be so sure... seem to remember a lady being ripped off her boat last year on some event to the islands.. near Bermuda a storm hit the fleet with some serious results for a few boats..
I'd still keep one hand for you and one for the boat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am alive today because I clipped in. And it wasn't from a freak wave,just a simple accident. I am big believer in clip in day and night and preventers. Didn't use them much in Florida, but up here they are bread and butter.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:33   #12

My wife is alive because almost 40 years ago she had her harness fastened when we took an unexpected knockdown in the Sea Of Cortez. It was in benign conditions that it happened. Dont be STUPID, wear a harness.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:08   #13

People die when sailing; accidents happen. Same for driving, swimming, and probably even golf.

Trying to come up with some 100% foolproof way to stay alive when sailing across oceans is a fool's errand. Even worse is if you think your method really is 100% safe. Mine isn't, but at least I know it isn't, which honestly makes more me skeptical and alert (I find).

Walk out on the bowsprit at night in a bumpy see not clipped in. Will really make you think about how solid the rail hardware is. Will really make you think about a lot of things.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:23   #14

Many seasoned sailors don't clip on as they believe its a false sense of security, always one hand for the boat. When we were sailing in the South pacific a guy fell overboard, he was clipped on but his wife did not know what to do and eventually he drowned still teathered on. We wear a harness at night and when the other person is sleeping as well as rough weather but I don't depend on it in any way. As someone said sailing is not foolproof, while the odds are low you can still get killed.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:31   #15
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
My wife is alive because almost 40 years ago she had her harness fastened when we took an unexpected knockdown in the Sea Of Cortez. It was in benign conditions that it happened. Dont be STUPID, wear a harness.____Grant.
I to, am also alive today because in December 1980 on board a maxi I was crewing on a delivery from BC to Antigua.
A storm wave washed me out of the cockpit, breaking 3 ribs and tethered by my harness, the next wave dumped me back on board.

This was about 100nm off the Columbia River, I was not the skipper and if I had been, all crew would have safely been down below long before we were getting our decks washed.

The point I am making is that this skipper relied on harnesses keeping us safe, where prudence and conservative seamanship would have served us better.

There are times when you need a harness, but you always need to maintain the discipline of one hand for yourself and a good weather eye. This is where Boatman, Rebel Heart and I agree.

Tags
overboard