Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 09:17   #61

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Regarding falling overboard on a tether and being dragged: one nice thing about a catamaran is that the jacklines can be setup near centerline so that the tethered person can just reach the rails/stern/bow without being able to go over them.

On passage, we are without tether in the cockpit and use the tether if it is necessary to go on deck. Any seas or boat motion that could throw us out of our cockpit would be so extreme as to most likely cause capsize or the loss of the boat. Those conditions would be easily recognized.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 09:41   #62

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Word on the street is that the fatality on Uncontrollable Urge was clipped on when the boat rolled in the surf--the survivors were not. Nobody on Low Speed Chase was clipped on when they went in the surf, and 3 of 8 survived. The fatality on the Cynthia Woods rollover was primarily due to auto-inflating life vests going off in the cabin. The two Wingnuts crew who couldn't release or cut their tethers died when their boat flipped.

You pays your money and takes your chances. For me, its a self-inflating harness with a quick release on the chest end of the tether, and I clip on when I feel like it, which is not often.

And now a word from one of my role models:

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me a magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."

Jack London 1876-1916
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 09:46   #63

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailor Washed Overboard Drowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... There's not too many on this forum who are complete dills so its fine to experiment a bit, you'll know what you feel safe doing.
And those of us who are primarily solos accept the risks. Wives and kids demand greater care for sure. However, for me that's what's wrong with modern sailors. To think that a wife/companion would be in a dither to stop/anchor/dock the boat is a sad comment on sailing ability and seamanship.

While in rant mode, there's always a thread about learning to sail in a larger boat. Obviously you can learn lots but we all know folks who are in trouble without the engine running. What you can't learn IMO is the finesse factor of sail trim and close quarters handling. Remember the poster who commented that's what the fenders are for. He wasn't joking. You get to learn all the finer moves in a small boat without much risk of harm or expense.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 23:30   #64

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
So what that means is you are more worried about having to replace the CO2 cartridge than you are of needing it to automatically inflate and save your life when needed.

I not sure what the purpose of your life vest is as you don't even believe it will save you.
As other have already pointed out, there's pros and cons to self inflators. At the time I was buying I went for a pull string inflater because I felt the risk of a premature inflation was significantly greater than the risk of me hitting the water unconscious, and a self inflation could actually result in knocking me off the boat and the lack of mobility would probably render the life jacket somewhat useless... especially during a race.
Strokes & folks... I guess ultimately, i just decided I trusted a pullstring more. I'm happy to be cross-sold to a self inflator though. Situations and techonolgies all move on.
Old 24-03-2013, 02:53   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Don't clip on a cat because of capsize. That shows a complete lack of multihull knowledge. Bows sometimes pierce waves and sometimes the motion is quick enough on the bow for your feet to float up off the deck. It is always possible for a sail to knock you off. It strikes me that the writer was just anxious to post a capsize comment.
As the writer, my Cat comment (#48) was done completely tongue in cheek to emphasize the fact that the dynamics of being at sea calls more for leadership awareness and assessment of your crew and craft…rather than regurgitating simplistic sailing school rules of always clipping on.

My basic safety assessment for any boat with any number of hulls:
  • Racers should always clip on because they do stupid things and invite disasters.
  • Newbies and children should always clip on and wear vests until they develop a sailor’s awareness.
  • Experienced skippers should be allowed to make their own assessments and live with the consequences.
  • Some skippers are not safe in any condition and they should find another career or hobby.

I hope that clarifies what has been mostly a silly…(but fun) discussion of standardizing safety rules at sea
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 03:43   #66
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Remember the poster who commented that's what the fenders are for. He wasn't joking.
Was that me?

I like fenders not always intended to be used! (but can be a very useful tool).....but even when not used does help with a touch of confidence that a booboo will not become a disaster (relatively speaking!).

In regard to clipping on, I suspect am likely the same as most others - have a variety of approaches, inconsistently applied .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 04:17   #67
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

In regard to clipping on, I suspect am likely the same as most others - have a variety of approaches, inconsistently applied .
+1
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 04:33   #68

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I think that some common sense should prevail.

We have a rule: Night sailing, when you go out of the hatch alone you clip on. If it is rough during the daytime you clip on. But there are times when the risk is low enough, and the consequences of falling off are not so final, like calm days when other people are on deck, that the nuisance of wearing the harness and dealing with it just isn't worth the small added safety factor.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 05:12   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Was that me?

I like fenders not always intended to be used! (but can be a very useful tool ... .
Nah. The guy that called Rebel a turd. He bought a small boat in Miami. Threw some stuff on it. Knew nothing, and had a lousy time in the keys boat-bound in windy weather. Then wrote about the lousy time he had. He meant it to be humourous but it wasn't very funny, poorly written, and he got creamed for it as he tried to hand out "advice" and his "secret" to success.

Corpus: ... I took one lesson, bought my first boat and sailed it out in the bay (and back ) by myself the first time. Getting in and out of the slip was by the hardest part, but that's what they make bumbers for after all. The rest is common sense.
Old 24-03-2013, 06:21   #70

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Offshore sailing is one of the last available avenues for those who are free spirits and love the challenges of life without the interference of Society and its rules and regulations. How you sail and equip your vessel is a direct reflection of your personality and how you are hardwired for life. There are those that love direction, regulation and regimentation and others who operate best by their knowledge and instincts. For the former, sailing is merely an extension of their shoreside life where they dance to the beat of someone else's drum adhering strictly to the dictates that require jacklines, life jackets,Epirbs, life rafts, radar and the likes. For the latter, who uncomfortably exist within the boundaries of our "civilization," sailing represents the freedom from societies constraints where one can truly be self reliant in a truly existential world. My comments are not meant to be mean spirited or a condemnation of one group and a promotion of the other, but rather a realization that we all approach life in different shoes. My personal belief, however, is to practice good seamanship and common sense based upon my experience and my opinion that less is better. I truly hope that all the well intentioned souls who wish to regulate our waking and sleeping lives and create a society of well machined and obedient automatons will leave us alone. Of course, this story has not been finished. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 06:55   #71
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Just seems stupid to be in fear of the medium you sail on. water.

If its that scary to take a boat out, that suddenly because its night you are going to fall up, over and out of a cockpit then you should take up Lawn Bowls.

Get rid of the damn tether unless its rough. Learn to sail the boat and get comfortable at sea. Wear one when moving out of the cockpit, thats fine, i do, but in good weather in the cockpit its just silly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LawnBowls.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	57748  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:16   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Offshore sailing is one of the last available avenues for those who are free spirits and love the challenges of life without the interference of Society and its rules and regulations. How you sail and equip your vessel is a direct reflection of your personality and how you are hardwired for life. There are those that love direction, regulation and regimentation and others who operate best by their knowledge and instincts. For the former, sailing is merely an extension of their shoreside life where they dance to the beat of someone else's drum adhering strictly to the dictates that require jacklines, life jackets,Epirbs, life rafts, radar and the likes. For the latter, who uncomfortably exist within the boundaries of our "civilization," sailing represents the freedom from societies constraints where one can truly be self reliant in a truly existential world. My comments are not meant to be mean spirited or a condemnation of one group and a promotion of the other, but rather a realization that we all approach life in different shoes. My personal belief, however, is to practice good seamanship and common sense based upon my experience and my opinion that less is better. I truly hope that all the well intentioned souls who wish to regulate our waking and sleeping lives and create a society of well machined and obedient automatons will leave us alone. Of course, this story has not been finished. Good luck and good sailing.
LOL... +A1..

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours. Richard Bach. Illusions

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:26   #73

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Nah. The guy that called Rebel a turd. He bought a small boat in Miami. Threw some stuff on it. Knew nothing, and had a lousy time in the keys boat-bound in windy weather. Then wrote about the lousy time he had. He meant it to be humourous but it wasn't very funny, poorly written, and he got creamed for it as he tried to hand out "advice" and his "secret" to success.

Corpus: ... I took one lesson, bought my first boat and sailed it out in the bay (and back ) by myself the first time. Getting in and out of the slip was by the hardest part, but that's what they make bumbers for after all. The rest is common sense.
[/FONT] [/I]
Corpus did not call Rebel a turd. It was someone else that was defending Corpus.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:31   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Corpus did not call Rebel a turd. It was someone else that was defending Corpus.

Steve
Correct. It was too late fer me to edit without mod-ulating.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 09:47   #75

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
As the writer, my Cat comment (#48) was done completely tongue in cheek to emphasize the fact that the dynamics of being at sea calls more for leadership awareness and assessment of your crew and craft…rather than regurgitating simplistic sailing school rules of always clipping on.

My basic safety assessment for any boat with any number of hulls:[LIST][*]Racers should always clip on because they do stupid things and invite disasters.[*]Newbies and children should always clip on and wear vests until they develop a sailor’s awareness.[*]Experienced skippers should be allowed to make their own assessments and live with the consequences.[*]Some skippers are not safe in any condition and they should find another career or hobby.[/LIST

I hope that clarifies what has been mostly a silly…(but fun) discussion of standardizing safety rules at sea
I dont feel it is a silly conversation. There are many topics and many new members constantly.
When topics are re-discussed you can "flip the channel, change the station", maybe someone could benifit, even veterans.
I mean we are not talking about Britany Speers, this is a valuable topic.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard