Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 13:21   #136

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailor Lost; 406 EPIRB Activated 30nm N of Key West

Whatever turned out about the dinghy sunk at Ray's mooring? There are lots of puzzle pieces here, but I'm not even sure they all fit the same puzzle!

Let's hope this guy had a change of plans and is okay....wherever he is.

Ann
Old 19-05-2013, 13:37   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The combo of the fleet of derelict boats and the shifty eye patch led me back to my original "disappeared" life insurance/ childs support/ IRS/ etc scam.

Standing by to be proven wrong.
Hey numbnutts. Every iphone in the world, when a picture is taken with front facing camera, inverts the picture. I took that picture. Jay is behind me.
closed by request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 13:38   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

To all the "tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists" (well put Kettlewell) there is a simple explanation for the eye patch. There are conditions where the information between the two eyes cannot be integrated and if both eyes are open degradation of vision occurs. Shutting either eye fixes this, so a patch can be worn over either eye (or no patch at all by choice).

I think a little consideration for Jay's friends and family would be kind in these circumstances. There are people hurting badly at the moment and your wild speculations are not helping anyone.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 13:43   #139

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanalaska View Post
Hey numbnutts. Every iphone in the world, when a picture is taken with front facing camera, inverts the picture. I took that picture. Jay is behind me.
Not my Iphone, and it is in this world.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:09   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Not my Iphone, and it is in this world.
Sorry about that. Wrong on both fronts. Jay wouldn't approve about the numbnutts I know that much (unless he was clearly kidding).

I'm out!
closed by request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 14:17   #141

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It seems it is better to have disappeared than to have [I]been[I] disappeared.

Again, I say, I hope that Jay is okay, and that those who care about him soon find that out.
Old 19-05-2013, 14:33   #142

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
As I gaze out my port window I can see Jay's mooring ball and all the derelict boats he collected. It disturbs me that a better method of search should have been implemented.

I was the very last person who received a text from Jay. I told him that if he did not make the sail to Key West then he was going to end up in Mexico. I told him I would keep an eye out for him.

Years ago I lived in ALASKA. I have witnessed what the Alaska Airman's Association does when a person is in need of help in ALASKA. The pilots will take to the sky!

Via the Internet I searched for the Key West Civil Air Patrol and they have no phone number and no plan in place to assist in the search process. I am now calling on the AAS to put forth their leadership in helping to implement such a program here in the Keys and maybe just maybe this will help other mariners in other locations.

I called the Key West International Tower to ask for their help.
I called Sea Plane Adventures that flies a de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter. They went into action and asked their passengers in route to and from the Dry Tortugas to be on the look out for the trimaran.
I called the tower at Marathon Airport to alert pilots.
I felt that this was not good enough and now reached out the the United States Navy. I called Naval Air Station Key West and respectfully requested that the war birds that fly out of NAS keep a look out. Was politely told that was not possible and then I asked for another request from the Navy.

This was to utilize the latest USN technology that is being deployed from the HSV-2. This super spy vessel was here in Key West last month. It has the ability to read a license plate from a range of hundreds of miles. The Navy said, to me. Call the Coast Guard and if the Coast Guard desires the help from the Navy - then the Navy will respond. I made that call.

I am 100% certain that if such an asset were utilized then Jay would of had the best technology on the Planet finding him. I pushed every button I could possibly push. I had no fear in asking for help. Trust me on this, the NAVY and COAST GUARD had never received such a phone call.

It just might be a good idea to equip the CG with the HSV-2 technology. Perhaps a far lesser version would be a good start.

All I can say now is... GODSPEED JAY and use your ALASKA skills to stay alive and live to tell the story!
H34 YOU ARE AN OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL!!! It reassures me in times like this that there are still people left with heart and soul to go the extra mile. I thank you from all the Jays out there in the world...like myself.
Old 19-05-2013, 14:36   #143

I was looking at the original post and noticed I saw a similar looking boat anchored off of Sombrero Beach in Marathon a few days ago. I don't recall hearing the name of the boat. Does Jay's boat have a name?
Old 19-05-2013, 14:43   #144

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanalaska View Post
What!
Old 19-05-2013, 14:57   #145

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I was looking at the original post and noticed I saw a similar looking boat anchored off of Sombrero Beach in Marathon a few days ago. I don't recall hearing the name of the boat. Does Jay's boat have a name?

"3/4 Time"
Old 19-05-2013, 15:02   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
The name is 3/4 Time, probably the only Piver with a sugar scoop center hull transom and a hard top made to catch rain. If you think you've spotted it, I could 100% ident it with a decent picture if you can snap one! I can be in Marathon in an hour if its the same boat.

The pix below are from when the previous owner had her, but should hold true enough to currently identify the boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230535.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	60991   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230536.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	60992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3300781.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	60993  
Old 19-05-2013, 15:45   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The name is 3/4 Time, probably the only Piver with a sugar scoop center hull transom and a hard top made to catch rain. If you think you've spotted it, I could 100% ident it with a decent picture if you can snap one! I can be in Marathon in an hour if its the same boat.
CapnGeo:
Sorry I can't give you anything more specific other than what I saw was a tri that looked similar. I did not take any pictures and it was a ways off. Was not close enough notice the name or sugar scoop transom as we were heading out the eastern Boot Key Channel. I'm no longer in the area but, I'm sure many others are and can keep an eye out for any Piver Tri's that show there. Having the name and the sugar scoop transom info will help other's identify it if it shows up somewhere nearby. I also saw a tri come in and anchor in Newfound harbor last Tuesday May 14th or Wednesday May 15th again other than noticing it was a tri did not notice the name or any other specifics. Wish I could help more and had the specific info when I was in the area.
Old 19-05-2013, 15:47   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

No worries, Mike, I understand.. I edited the post and added pix of 3/4 time from about 2 years ago
Old 19-05-2013, 15:50   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

The pix below are from when the previous owner had her, but should hold true enough to currently identify the boat
CapGeo:

I don't recall the tri's I saw as having the white water catcher bimini that is in the photo's you show.
Old 19-05-2013, 18:55   #150

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

All I can add to this is I hope where ever Jay is, he is enjoying himself and having a great adventure.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, lost