Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 14:14   #121

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Re: Sailor Lost; 406 EPIRB Activated 30nm N of Key West

I've been watching this thread closely, hoping for some kind of news.

I do know one thing, I hope I have a friend like H34 if I ever end up lost at sea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
Years ago I lived in ALASKA. I have witnessed what the Alaska Airman's Association does when a person is in need of help in ALASKA. The pilots will take to the sky!

Via the Internet I searched for the Key West Civil Air Patrol and they have no phone number and no plan in place to assist in the search process. I am now calling on the AAS to put forth their leadership in helping to implement such a program here in the Keys and maybe just maybe this will help other mariners in other locations.
At risk of sounding pedantic, I would not hold your breath for help from CAP. I used to fly with the commander of a large unit and he told me they were having serious financial problems. At the time (a year ago?) they were barely able to maintain the airplanes and keep folks flying. There was a period where most units were grounded completely.

The cost of fuel has had a serious impact on general aviation and CAP, 10 years ago you might have found a dozen people to help, even outside of CAP, but now it's more challenging since there are fewer pilots and, despite wanting to help, the operational costs would be very significant when flying SAR patterns. You are further limited by the nature of the mission, flying over a large body of water, which is inherently high risk in single engine airplanes like what most CAP units fly and they may be bound by CAP regulations.

Your contacting them was definitely diligent, but I would not expect the same response that you may have had even 5 years ago. It's not a lack of motivation, I can assure you of that, but a lack of resources.

It's worth pointing out that almost any pilot would report a debris field or anything suspicious noted on the surface, without being asked. On that note, did the USCG contact Miami center to see if anything had been reported? If not, you might try contacting them. They may also be willing to issue requests for pilots to keep an eye out, but this late on, I'm not sure I'd hold your breath. In my experience, they are always willing to help though.

Quote:
It just might be a good idea to equip the CG with the HSV-2 technology. Perhaps a far lesser version would be a good start.
I read an article a while ago that indicated the CG was testing drones for use in SAR operations. I have to believe that the lower operational costs could mean more birds in the air when stuff like this happens and longer sustained searches.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 14:52   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What's the purpose of those towers out in the middle of nowhere? They must be part of the charted Navy Operational Training Area, but they sure seem to be hazards to navigation.
It's my understanding they belong to USAF... perhaps something to aim for between Homestead and Mac Dill AFB's? I have had one or two scare the poop out of me on occasion during a night crossing... Dirty bastards sneak right up on you!
Old 18-05-2013, 15:36   #123

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
What's the purpose of those towers out in the middle of nowhere? They must be part of the charted Navy Operational Training Area, but they sure seem to be hazards to navigation.
Not really any worse than the shoals all over Florida Bay.

Wait till the wind farms grow..............
Old 18-05-2013, 15:51   #124

I've been sailing in the middle Keys for the past seven days and have heard the Coast Guard Pon Pon transmissions on this missing sailor everyday. I've wondered why they were not able to locate him. You would think in a relatively short time after the EPIRB was triggered so near to Key West they would have been combing the area and found something. I hope there is a happy ending but, it sure is a mystery to find the EPIRD but, not wreckage. I hope we find out what exactly happened out there and someone finds this sailor soon.
Old 18-05-2013, 18:53   #125
H34

To ALL of the sailors - we journey as the wind blows us.

I think we have now crossed over to a new generation of finding a lost sailor.

Let's take this horrific situation and make it into the very best of search and recovery this nation has to offer. Study HSV-2 and integrate at a smaller level for the USCG. This study can be also funded by the members of BoatUS.

Jay was from Fairbanks, ALASKA. Let us ALL take this horrific situation and turn it into what Jay would have wanted!

This was no ordinary sailor. His heart was full of love to help others. He told me he wanted to sail his boat to Haiti and help the people. That was his dream he told to me.

I say... let's us get the ball rolling in the direction for better SAR. Out with the old - in with the new.

Trust me... the ball is rolling!
H34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 19:00   #126
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
On the med emergency note. Two days ago my buddy Roger Evans died of a heart attack. 56. He was coming out of the water, the story goes, with his son down in Wilmington, NC where they were cleaning a bottom or changing props or something. A brawny ex-marine and a frickin newly-wed, and well-known in these parts as R and R Dive Service.

RIP Roger.

Sorry, Tom. Some people just die too young.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 19:06   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Will be keen to hear the resolution of this. I personally think my original suspicions are mostly accurate, but clearly there are many unknowns and a lot of emotion involved.

Seems like a reasonable amount of resources were spent on the search and I would imagine the CG is factoring in a certain amount of suspicion as well.
Old 18-05-2013, 23:40   #128

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
To ALL of the sailors - we journey as the wind blows us.

I think we have now crossed over to a new generation of finding a lost sailor.

Let's take this horrific situation and make it into the very best of search and recovery this nation has to offer. Study HSV-2 and integrate at a smaller level for the USCG. This study can be also funded by the members of BoatUS.

Jay was from Fairbanks, ALASKA. Let us ALL take this horrific situation and turn it into what Jay would have wanted!

This was no ordinary sailor. His heart was full of love to help others. He told me he wanted to sail his boat to Haiti and help the people. That was his dream he told to me.

I say... let's us get the ball rolling in the direction for better SAR. Out with the old - in with the new.

Trust me... the ball is rolling!
I have put off posting because I don't know what I can say that would be meaningful. Even though I did not know Jay, as a sailor, I feel this anxiousness for his situation and for the concerns of his friends.

H34, you are a person to emulate. I hope if I ever have a problem, I have a friend like you on shore.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 11:30   #129

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The picture in post #70 shows the patch over the right eye and post #77 shows it over the left eye. This really makes me wonder what is really going on here. Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of all this.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 11:49   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The picture in post #70 shows the patch over the right eye and post #77 shows it over the left eye. This really makes me wonder what is really going on here. Hopefully someone will get to the bottom of all this.
What he said.......
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 11:58   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The combo of the fleet of derelict boats and the shifty eye patch led me back to my original "disappeared" life insurance/ childs support/ IRS/ etc scam.

Standing by to be proven wrong.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:07   #132

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The combo of the fleet of derelict boats and the shifty eye patch led me back to my original "disappeared" life insurance/ childs support/ IRS/ etc scam.

Standing by to be proven wrong.
really, guilty until proven innocent ?? Without more information, one looks foolish making such judgements, and if the man really lost at sea, worse than foolish. In any case, it isn't our duty to prosecute, it is our duty to assist rescue.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:11   #133

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Those of us old enough to remember film photography know that photos used to get flopped all the time, and it still happens in the digital age for one reason or another.
Old 19-05-2013, 12:23   #134

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
really, guilty until proven innocent ?? Without more information, one looks foolish making such judgements, and if the man really lost at sea, worse than foolish. In any case, it isn't our duty to prosecute, it is our duty to assist rescue.
The facts certainly lead rational thinkers to believe something is amiss here. Eye patch switch, EPIRP recovered with no sign of wreckage or survivors, friends waiting at the dock for news, etc. I wonder if a collection of some sort will be proposed next.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 13:00   #135

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The facts certainly lead rational thinkers tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists to believe something is amiss here. Eye patch switch, EPIRP recovered with no sign of wreckage or survivors, friends waiting at the dock for news, etc. I wonder if a collection of some sort will be proposed next.
Fixed.

Tags
epirb, lost