Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 17:43   #16
H34

Re: Sailor Lost; 406 EPIRB Activated 30nm N of Key West

At 2:52 PM I received a text from Jay yesterday an hour after he left Ft. Meyers.

I WARNED him about the weather. Told him 20 KNOTS for TUES and WED.

He texted he would arrive quicker to KW.

I also saw Jay in the Marquesas last Thursday evening. He told me he was sailing to the Dry Tortugas for one day. I told him he could not sail back to KW and he said he would take the north route to Naples or FT. Meyers. His wooden trimaran "3/4 Time" will not sail into the wind. His EPIRB was attached to his bunk bulkhead.

Jay also told me there WAS a passenger on his trimaran. He was on the shore at the Marquesas and he was drunk. Jay was not drinking and is not a drunk. (Keys Disease)

The seas last night winds were from the North @ 20+ Knots.

It does not look good. Jay had no safety gear that I ever saw. No jack lines. No life raft. No ditch bag.

GOD Be With You and Bring You Safely Back to Your Family.
H34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:55   #17
H34

This evening I saw a Coast Guard deploy a small cutter heading North.

They will be out there tonight looking for him.

Sea water temp is 80.

Wind is still 20 knots.
Old 14-05-2013, 18:06   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
At 2:52 PM I received a text from Jay yesterday an hour after he left Ft. Meyers. .

Jay also told me there WAS a passenger on his trimaran.
I'll pass this to the CG... was not aware of the passenger! Thanks
Old 14-05-2013, 18:33   #19

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

That wouldn't be Jay Rydberg from Fairbanks would it? I know he has a trimaran and a son named Justin.
Old 14-05-2013, 18:38   #20
H34

Jay had a BRIGHT YELLOW/GREEN NEON foul weather coat with reflective tape. I saw him wear it in a 55 knot storm with a small life jacket on the inside.

Yes this is Jay from Fairbanks.

He is my next door neighbor here in KW.
Old 14-05-2013, 18:43   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

oh my gosh! Well I hope all turns out ok.
Old 14-05-2013, 18:45   #22
H34

Yes this is Jay from Fairbanks.
Old 14-05-2013, 18:55   #23

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

This was just posted on the internet.
Coast Guard crews searching for missing boater near Key West, Fla. | Coast Guard News
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:04   #24

Boat: Formosa Sea Tiger 41'
I'm in Marathon, Gulf side, about 20 miles north of where he was and it was blowing hard last night.
Tiger Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:13   #25
H34

I am 100% certain that that other person on-board Jay's trimaran his dinghy is at Jay's mooring ball. THE DINGHY IS SUNK! I saw the dinghy sunk just before sunset and thought - this is a bad omen.

I will try and raise the dinghy tomorrow AM. Chances are there will not be a FL sticker, there is no engine on the overturned white dinghy. There could be a KW Harbor Dinghy Dock monthly sticker that could lead to identify the other passenger.

Perhaps KW law enforcement will take finger prints to try and determine the owners name.
Old 14-05-2013, 19:18   #26

Boat: csy 37

the good news it that it's a tri - no ballast - and though it breaks up the parts should float. he just might be out there floating around waiting for rescue. the water is somewhat warm and there are a lot of coast guard stations in the vicinity - islamorada, marathon, key west, and up the florida west coast to tampa.

hoping this turns out well...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:22   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Astrid, yes, that is the same Jay. I've been trying to reach his ex in Ft Myers, but can't find a contact number.

H34... If Jay picked the passenger up in the Marquesas, how would his dinghy get to Jay's mooring?
Old 14-05-2013, 19:25   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
I am 100% certain that that other person on-board Jay's trimaran his dinghy is at Jay's mooring ball. THE DINGHY IS SUNK! I saw the dinghy sunk just before sunset and thought - this is a bad omen.

I will try and raise the dinghy tomorrow AM. Chances are there will not be a FL sticker, there is no engine on the overturned white dinghy. There could be a KW Harbor Dinghy Dock monthly sticker that could lead to identify the other passenger.

Perhaps KW law enforcement will take finger prints to try and determine the owners name.

I'm not clear on this. Do you know this companion of his? Are you saying he was in the dinghy or that Jay didn't take the dinghy with him? It crossed my mind that maybe this companion had had too much to drink, fell in, and something happened while Jay was trying to save him ... it seems as if a boat that size could handle 20+ knots of wind. Might not be fun, might have to let the winds help choose your course, but it certainly sounds survivable.

In any case it's just heartbreaking to read about the search in real time like this. I can only wish the best for Cap's friend. I'd like to suggest that maybe we shouldn't joke about "missing boat" threads, as we have done here recently. We never know who is lurking, hoping to hear something, or who knows someone involved -- what do we have here, three people who know this sailor?

My daughters and close friends would be devastated and frantic if something happened to me at sea and they didn't know what was going on. I think I owe it to them to have an EPIRB. It's getting bumped up the list.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:31   #29
H34

The Coast Guard informed me this evening his family has been notified.

Jay sailed with the passenger from KW. He saw my boat sail in around sunset to the Marquesas and got in his kayak and was invited to a fresh fish dinner. That was where he informed us about his passenger who he stated was drunk and was walking on the Marquesas beach. I thought the passenger was not being very smart since he was drunk and had to kayak back to Jay's boat at night, in strong current - that was anchored furthest away from the beach.

Least Jay's EPIRP info was current.
Old 14-05-2013, 19:46   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AFAIK, the CG didn't have his ex's contact info, as they asked me for it. His EPIRB had myself and the previous owner's names as emergency contacts.

I know Jay's boat well, and in spite of its nearly 40 years, it was in good enough condition to handle last nights weather.... Especially considering his course was down wind. The seas weren't big enough to pitch-pole him. He did tell me yesterday he was very tired from standing watch for two days up to Ft Myers.... Doesn't jive with reports of a second POB.

What does bother me is that I recently explained the process of heaving to, and he was proud to tell me yesterday that he used it to "cat-nap" the last two nights. If he were hove to and a squall line hit him while asleep......

Jay is a new sailor, when he bought the boat a year ago, he knew nothing; he has however soaked it up like a sponge... Recently even won the KW Wreckers' race for his class

Tags
epirb, lost