Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-05-2013, 19:48   #181

Boat: Switch 51
Re: Sailor Lost; 406 EPIRB Activated 30nm N of Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Am I missing anything major in these ballpark figures?
Think you're leaving out the glass. I think FRP is probably about twice density of plywood. Not sure if that would change your calcs.

Old 25-05-2013, 20:03   #182
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
Some people have Zero class.
Thanks for pointing it out

Old 25-05-2013, 20:03   #183
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

She looked to float fairly high in the few pics posted. You can never tell about these boats, someone could have added some ballast of some sort.

Btw there would be around 80 or 90 sheets of mostly 3/8 ply in a Lodestar. That make the chances of gear dragging here down even less likely than your monohull example. Of course there would likely be large air pockets in either or both amas depending on the collision and how exactly that boat was finished off.
Old 25-05-2013, 20:10   #184
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Think you're leaving out the glass. I think FRP is probably about twice density of plywood. Not sure if that would change your calcs.
That particular boat was only skinned in FRP; 2 layers max... I would say the boat would float with all three hulls holed
Old 25-05-2013, 21:29   #185

Boat: Switch 51
Let's hope it is floating.
Old 26-05-2013, 04:03   #186

Boat: 38' French Cat
Not sire the depth but not terribly deep. One of the new hummingbird or lowrance units that does the side scan or structure scan imaging would show a sunk boat on the bottom. Much faster and easier than diving all over the place.
Old 26-05-2013, 05:10   #187
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Some of this is clearly about the journey not the destination.
Old 26-05-2013, 07:45   #188

My personal opinion is that the remains of a Piver would mostly float, or at least major chunks of it would. If just holed, it would definitely float even if full of water. Even in massive collisions, huge chunks of fiberglass boats are often found floating. See this debris field found off Jacksonville.
Old 26-05-2013, 10:31   #189

i think there may still be hope he is still alive.

i had a Piver that hit a underwater obstruction tore a gash in the main hull and a small hole in the port ama. this boat with 2 onboard didn't sink and i had no fear she would and was able to be towed in.

he may have run into drug runners, they use to use trimarans because of speed and left very little of a foot print.

so i wouldn't give up hope yet.

i would think they would extend the search area.

i would think that she could cover a lot of ground in a short time.

just my thoughts.
Old 26-05-2013, 10:50   #190

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

The impact with the tower seems a strong possibility.

(Though why was the EPIRB, though very close to the tower, off to the SW when the wind was out of the NW? And what current there is in that area seems to trend toward the east. . . .)

For some weird reason maybe she just sank outright.

But if she broke up, pieces might have washed up on the north-facing shores of some of the small keys to the SE -- Bay Keys, Mud Keys, Marvin Keys -- or in the shallows just off them.

Hard to believe the CG wouldn't have seen pieces during their 3-day search, but maybe a search by dinghy close in to those shores would turn something up.
Old 26-05-2013, 21:42   #191

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by H34 View Post
First and foremost - the search for Jay and the 40' trimaran 3/4 TIME continues on!

I sailed out of KW on my H34 to Boca Grande Channel then dodging miles of shallow shoaling, speed 3 knots, on course 007 into the gentle rolling sea. The sunset was splendid beauty. Wind speed was a gentle breeze from the N. Caught a Spanish mackerel but lost it in the final rinse cycle.

Arrived at 0400 to the recovery EPIRB location - where the fiberglass wooden trimaran "3/4 Time" very possibly impacted with Tower W (whiskey).

After conducting numerous analysis and various thoughts into the speed, time, distance, course, wind, weather conditions, speed overground conditions and on site observations - I have come to this firm 100% conclusion that Jay collide with the non lighted tower that has a very LOUD continuous fog horn. The EPIRB was located by the Coast Guard approximately 1.5 nautical miles SSW from the tower. Directly in correlation with the impact sinking theory.

According to the Coast Guard Rules of the Road - ALL vessels shall maintain a look out. At 0400, I'm 100% certain Jay was in a deep exhausted sleep and collided into the base of the tower. It is conceivable the mast rigging was snarled. I observed a rapped wire oddly hanging from the SSE quadrant of the base platform. I would estimate the base height to be approximately 40 feet.

In the pitch black dark with 3 to 4 foot waves the boat must of flooded and sank. In the sinking process went upside down preventing the massive debris field. Jay's VHF radio did not operate.

When arriving at the EPIRB recovery location (34 nm N of KW) it gave me a sense of eerie feeling. Cruising with the full Moon, I finally saw the bright light - - it was not the light from the tower. It was from a sailing vessel with anchoring and steaming lights on - destination Key West. He radioed me regarding my vessel did not appear on his radar scope. I affirmed to him I have radar reflectors. I then radioed back was here doing investigative analysis into a lost sailor. He sailed on.

Today I mailed a formal request to the Coast Guard base on the Freedom of Information Act, release of all information on 3/4 TIME.

Our next assertive effort is to organize an underwater search. This effort is going to require support from the SCUBA community. It is time for Mel Fisher to come to aid of a lost sailor. It is now time to respectfully request that the Conch Navy be activated!

I think the Cruisers Forum can be a great asset in the search recovery process. I think that the great state of ALASKA along with the world will help to find JAY and 3/4 TIME.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, donations are welcome.

In closing:
To those that have thanked us for our efforts. Perhaps we are ALL making our contribution for coming to the aid of lost mariners.

Bravo Zulu to You!

Very sincerely, thank you ALL for your efforts, support and helpful comments.
A huge pat on the back for you mate. This effort of yours is exactly what anyone would hope for if they were lost. I certainly hope that I never disappear but if I do ... I hope I'm near to where you are. Its efforts like these that restore one's faith in the human race, so hat's off to you sir.
Old 28-05-2013, 16:06   #192
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jay's boat has been found on the North Shore of Cuba. He was found with the boat, deceased. He was tethered, wearing his harness/life vest. No further amplifying information is available at this time.

I spoke with his sister today for quite some time on the phone. She wanted me to convey thanks to CF from their family. She says that even in spite of some of the nasty comments by some, the overwhelming tone was that of a community reaching out to help one of it's own. Not being a boater, it gave her some insight into what goes on during times of distress on the water, and they drew comfort from that.

If amplifying information comes out and I am given permission to release it by the family I will post up here. In the meantime, out of respect to the deceased and his family, I ask you to refrain from speculatory comments. Please do not post anything that would not be said to a family member at a funeral.

George
Old 28-05-2013, 16:14   #193
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Oh dear. My heart has been in my mouth every time I opened this thread. I'm so sorry your friend is gone but glad for the family that he has been found.
Old 28-05-2013, 16:16   #194

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well said, Capnego,

It's just so hard to lose someone you love... It's really a place for hugs, not words....

Ann
Old 28-05-2013, 16:18   #195

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Rest in peace, Jay. I hope there's salt water in heaven.

Tags
epirb, lost

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: