Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2014, 07:12   #121

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
According to the article, his primary problems were running out of free food and a dead Obama phone.
You should now that those phones were available for a couple administrations before Obama took office.

Also, had it been summer, he could have done a little panhandling along the beach and gotten what he needed.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:29   #122
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Funny how one guy gets a lashing coz he talked to the press.. and another on the opposite side of the country gets sympathy and support coz he ran away and didn't even give his name..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27   #123

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

There's another way to look at this also.

The guy did what many on this forum dreamed about for years. Some actually did it after spending thousands on a boat. Others spend years rebuilding a boat then years more before they took a cruise similar to what this guy did............and he invested $500-$600 and now has a monthly note of $10.00. Not bad.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:34   #124

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There's another way to look at this also.

The guy did what many on this forum dreamed about for years. Some actually did it after spending thousands on a boat. Others spend years rebuilding a boat then years more before they took a cruise similar to what this guy did............and he invested $500-$600 and now has a monthly note of $10.00. Not bad.
Maybe that's whats pissing everyone off...

Born To Be Wild
Old 12-01-2014, 08:39   #125

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm pissed off that he killed a boat.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57   #126

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Technically no.. he left her at anchor and she dragged... that happens to the best of us... now the Westsail guy..?
He broke his boat.. and he had an engine..

Born To Be Wild
Old 12-01-2014, 10:00   #127

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt.Timbo

I'm surprised that he just doesn't just go to the airport and start up the first aircraft he sees, of course he would have to observe them taking off and landing for a day, first! Good thing he is off the waters, for now.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05   #128
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

While I've taken my shots here at the guy; really now we are talking sailing along the coast. Basic sailing isn't really all that hard and this guy did make some distance. Who knows how it would have worked out had he had some good weather for a little while to learn a little more.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17   #129

Boat: Hunter Legend 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
While I've taken my shots here at the guy; really now we are talking sailing along the coast. Basic sailing isn't really all that hard and this guy did make some distance. Who knows how it would have worked out had he had some good weather for a little while to learn a little more.
Yep. I think the main problem is his theory or outlook on life - he tries to get stuff like food for free instead of working for it. If he would've spent some money on food to have onboard (and I'll bet you a $10 bill he had the money to buy some) he wouldn't have had the problem.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:06   #130

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

I just can't stand his everything should be free i hate capitalists attitude, but when in a jam he knows the capitalists will bail him out. I'm pretty sure everyone here busts their butts for everything they have (including their boats) but he should get an atta boy for giving it a go? How about get a job, support you child, and take care of yourself. Dont rely strictly on handouts.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:20   #131

Boat: Hunter Legend 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone here busts their butts for everything they have (including their boats) but he should get an atta boy for giving it a go?
Most do work for what they got. I don't know where he got the money to buy a sailboat. And where he gets the money to keep his cell phone plan going. But he actually did fine on the sailing part right up to the point where he ran out of food at sea. Then jumped in the dinghy and paddled to shore out of desperation - with the sailboat floundering in the surf no less on the hook.

You can't believe everything you read in the media these days. But the part where he says he tries to get the necessities of life for free is believable. Nobody could think that up if it wasn't true. He would've been fine if he could've gotten the boat back out to sea and out of the surf, and had some food and water onboard instead a few grapefruits he cobbed off some people in the homeless camps. LOL! That part just cracks me up.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:26   #132
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

he should hookup with Organictruth
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31   #133

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I just can't stand his everything should be free i hate capitalists attitude, but when in a jam he knows the capitalists will bail him out. I'm pretty sure everyone here busts their butts for everything they have (including their boats) but he should get an atta boy for giving it a go? How about get a job, support you child, and take care of yourself. Dont rely strictly on handouts.
Right - he needs to take care of the responsibilities that he has to himself, his child and society FIRST - and then he can go chase his sailing dream and trash as many boats as he wants. Sailing is a privilege and a luxury and with that privilege and luxury comes responsibility. It's the same as owning any vehicle.

There are many (including me) who are tired of the "I want it all but I don't want the work or responsibility that come with it" attitude.

I get it - we are making judgments based on what we read in the article and maybe some of the conclusions to which we have jumped may not be 100% accurate with respect to this individual. But I think many of us are taking out our frustration with this sort of entitlement attitude on an individual who appears to have those attributes.

He may have a mental illness. He may actually have success with Norse gods. He may be justified in living his dream. But at the end of the day, I see this attitude and behavior as selfish, egocentric and unacceptable based on my own moral standards. My personal experiences have formed those opinions and I've worked hard to earn my way through life and frankly resent individuals similar to what I read about in that article who feel entitled to live off the rest of society for free - while exploiting our efforts for their free ride.

I am not advocating violence toward him - nor do I think the people who said he deserved a kick in the seat of the pants meant that literally. However, there is nothing wrong with getting satisfaction out of seeing someone such as this (or such as the impression made by the article) suffer the consequences of his own choices.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing his mom will just write the check for the $200 and this guy will be off eating grapefruit and cursing the very people who are taking care of him because he believes he's entitled to more without having to expend any effort, labor or productivity to achieve it.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:32   #134

Boat: hunter 31

Hey, I'm all for livin' simple, take only what you need, minimalism, ect, but what does the guy do when his inexperience causes damage to someone else's boat? What if his rode parts company during the night and causes $5000 damage to another boat? Pay it off at $10 a month? What if someone spills fuel in a sensitive area? $10 a month till 2099? Be free spirited all you want, I know lots of free spirits who are good sailors, take care of their boats, and understand there is a duty to other mariners to operate in a safe competent manner. the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17   #135

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Damn... there's way to many 'Righteous' what ifs and labels like mental sickness here for my stomach..
so I'll leave the Christians to throw the Roman to the lions.. Enjoy

Born To Be Wild

Tags
florida, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: