Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 15:10   #106
cruiser

Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually, the only problem was that he took his voyage during the wrong part of the year. Otherwise he might be on the beach with some cute girl getting high and enjoying the view! (his boat anchored just passed the surf line!)
According to the article, his primary problems were running out of free food and a dead Obama phone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 15:20   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And I wonder how many of those 10 dollar a month payments will be made?
Jim
From the article:

"He said he will 'probably' pay Volusia County 'about' $10 a month toward any bill." (Internal quotes mine)

Hard to pin down, really.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 15:44   #108

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenCarter View Post
How did this clown (no offense to actual clowns) get that boat from Telemar Marina to the ocean?

I know that area. The closest access to the Atlantic is either Canaveral, which has a lock, or down south at Sebastian Inlet. Either would require some good sailing skills without a motor.

"He spent a couple of days in Indian Harbour Beach before setting sail on Dec. 14 to New Smyrna Beach aboard the sailboat which had no motor and relied entirely on the wind. He stopped for several days and spent some time with some people at a homeless campsite in New Smyrna Beach. They gave him the grapefruit."

MaryEllen, the above info was in the OP article referenced here on Page 2. He must have used Ponce Inlet(New Smyrna Beach) for his adventure.
Old 11-01-2014, 16:20   #109

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo1 View Post
Too funny.

I have read the posts where some newbie was asking whether they should sail to the Bahamas, etc. and I've seen many folks tell them to go do it and live their dream - just like you sarcastically noted above.

But I don't blame people who advise others to "go live their dream." I'm a newbie and I have enough sense to realize what a horrible idea this was. No motor (which might not have been an issue had he been an experienced sailor), no experience, training or practical knowledge and clearly no common sense. But - hey, go for it, man. Live your dreams!!

I think most of us assume that someone going off to "live their dream" would do so utilizing SOME common sense. I would never dream of putting myself into a situation such as this because (a) I once read a book about it and (b) I practiced for an entire day (and realized that there is a lot that I don't know!!)

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would have loved to have that boat before it was washed up on the beach and then tossed on to the scrap heap. Unfortunately, it appears that it was squandered by someone who has no appreciation for anything - including those grapefruit (donated to him by some homeless people) that likely saved his life. All he could say about it was "and I hate grapefruit." Not "Thank Odin I had some grapefruit!!"

Yes, its good to understand ones limitations. From experience, the downside with folk like that is the rescues and the dangers they put others into. In this case he didnt have passengers and at worst would have killed only himself- assuming that due to his lack of colregs knowledge he didnt collide with another boat and take them out too.

There is an old saying, "you dont know what you dont know" and it can be used with this lifestyle over and over again. There is so much that even a seasoned sailor doesnt know.

I used to be a bit of a hotshot racer -years ago. Then i went to to get my instructors certificate and it wasnt until then that I found out that my seamanship skills were short of horrific. I could put a boat around some bouys very quickly. But when it came to many other facets of the sport, I was an idiot- regardless of the books I had read.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:56   #110

Boat: hunter 376

Its a good thing it only cost the taxpayer $200, I've seen the bill get into the thousands. Just 2 weeks ago I was out in English Bay, and saw 2 boats washed onto the rocks, and was told a third had just been removed. The surplus of junkers in North America will continue to insure an ample supply of idiots, derelicts, rescues and taxpayer funded salvages. Just thank goodness there isn't a large surplus of derelict aircraft available. No one wants to see boating the rich man's game, but some competence in the skipper and a properly maintained and equipped vessel may be mandatory in the near future. Even just mandating insurance would see a lot of problems go away. ( and start some new ones.)
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:10   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
I haven't read all the replies here, but there's no point in dumping on this guy. Here's a fellow who didn't grow up...

You should have stopped at that point.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:35   #112

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
He is a parasite, pure and simple. Even his source of food and drink was given to him by the homeless. Says a lot for the homeless commune, but not for this individual. Who do you think supports his child? Who paid for the disposal of his boat. Who pays for his medical care do you suppose?
If you take more assets from society than you give, your a parasite
Geeze, this is a nasty comment, and based on what? Sounds like a parody of a country club cocktail party, not a yacht club fest because those are likely to have some sailors in the conversation. It's better, isn't it, to save this sort of wisdom for threads on anchors and the best boat for a circumnavigation.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 18:55   #113

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
Geeze, this is a nasty comment, and based on what? Sounds like a parody of a country club cocktail party, not a yacht club fest because those are likely to have some sailors in the conversation. It's better, isn't it, to save this sort of wisdom for threads on anchors and the best boat for a circumnavigation.

Sorry, when you're to the point that you're mooching off of the homeless...

Just saying.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 20:11   #114

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

"Actually, the only problem was that he took his voyage during the wrong part of the year. Otherwise he might be on the beach with some cute girl getting high and enjoying the view! (his boat anchored just passed the surf line!)"

You don't reckon that sailing without enough food or money or engine might have caused a bit of a problem?

I'd bet that misjudging the weather was just the one of many problems he had. It was the one that ended the trip. There are also other minor problems, like navigation, anchoring, dealing with storms, etc.

Ignoring a major factor like weather in a 23 foot boat, tells me he probably was lacking on a few other points too.
Old 11-01-2014, 21:38   #115

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

I enjoyed that story. I feel a little bad for the boat though. The sailor not so much.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 22:55   #116

I don't think the guy was "mooching" off the homeless, I think he is homeless himself, well except for the boat and now that's gone. I think the article is unfortunate because I too believe this guy likely suffers from a mental illness. Hard to know for sure from a sensationalist bit of garbage such as this but there are a few red flags.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 23:40   #117

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I think the article is unfortunate because I too believe this guy likely suffers from a mental illness. Hard to know for sure from a sensationalist bit of garbage such as this but there are a few red flags.
I think that's somewhat hard to define. I think the fellow just has a sort of different, and probably irresponsible, outlook on life. Nowadays I guess somebody that is irresponsible and lazy can be labeled mentally ill. But that's a poor substitute and modern excuse for what the guy really needs (a swift kick in the seat of the pants).
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 23:54   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

We spend far too much time trying to find excuses for the actions that people take rather than giving them" the swift kick up the pants" nowadays. Nobody takes responsibility, it's always being a victim.

Coops.
Old 12-01-2014, 00:00   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
I think that's somewhat hard to define. I think the fellow just has a sort of different, and probably irresponsible, outlook on life. Nowadays I guess somebody that is irresponsible and lazy can be labeled mentally ill. But that's a poor substitute and modern excuse for what the guy really needs (a swift kick in the seat of the pants).
Mental illness is hard to define, I agree, especially from a news article. And it is easy to believe he is just a stupid, lazy kid who needs a little violent correction to set him straight, isn't it? We can even have a little entertainment at his expense then too, why not?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:14   #120
CLOD

Boat: none

He didn't get get hurt, hurt anyone or anything else, I think the guy had a great little adventure. I hope he tries again

Tags
florida, sail