Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2014, 16:28   #256

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
Yeah, getting a license removes stupidity all the time. Look at the amount of auto accidents. I don't desire more bureaucracy in my life.
Could not agree more.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:40   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
I still think some sort of licence for above sailing dingy size should be required before you go sailing!
Why must this Idea of licensing keep being mentioned. Speak of it often and some burotech may just get the government ball rolling . Just think every sailboat owner must be licensed (we are in Queensland) and to get this license you need to do a recognized course, all this costs money. Money = tax. Licencing = control.
Think about what else could be licenced, how about Bicycles, skate boards and mountain climbing or even drinking alcohol. In the scheme of things we are talking of a few that came unstuck, not the majority and luck has been on their side at some point in time. The majority of us take the time to learn, plan and practice but sometimes luck is looking the other way. I bet we have all said at some time " whooo, that was lucky".

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:50   #258
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Why must this Idea of licensing keep being mentioned. Speak of it often and some burotech may just get the government ball rolling . Just think every sailboat owner must be licensed (we are in Queensland) and to get this license you need to do a recognized course, all this costs money. Money = tax. Licencing = control.
Think about what else could be licenced, how about Bicycles, skate boards and mountain climbing or even drinking alcohol. In the scheme of things we are talking of a few that came unstuck, not the majority and luck has been on their side at some point in time. The majority of us take the time to learn, plan and practice but sometimes luck is looking the other way. I bet we have all said at some time " whooo, that was lucky".
Well, you need a licence to drive a car & thats a pretty straight forward thing to do! The sea can be a mighty dangerous place to be, a basic understanding in the shape of a small all round test is surely a sensible thing for anyone to do?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:58   #259

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

In different countries licensing means different things. Here in Hawaii (part of the US) it means having to take a course = dollars, taking a licensing test = dollars, and receiving citations if you don't = dollars. None of these dollars would be used for boating infrastructure which is much needed. And, I truly don't see any benefit from licensing other than putting you on another government list. There would be a benefit in a boating course but all that would be needed is to say that you can't be a skipper unless you've taken the USCG Aux. Safe Boating Course. They issue a card.
Old 21-01-2014, 17:00   #260

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Well, you need a licence to drive a car & thats a pretty straight forward thing to do! The sea can be a mighty dangerous place to be, a basic understanding in the shape of a small all round test is surely a sensible thing for anyone to do?
Pablo, I'm starting to think your a Gov bureaucrat. I honestly think this is a terrible idea. A lot of sailors go cruising to be free of absurd government regs and rules. Besides, having to pass a short course and take a test is going to give far too many people the belief that they are 100% prepared to face whatever when almost everyone here knows otherwise. But good luck convincing those few that they're not ready. The Government said they were!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 17:37   #261
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Careful... we know Caribbean Witch Doctors.. a hex will be placed on your restaurant and it will never sell... and wait till we start with the pins and doll...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 18:24   #262
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Careful... we know Caribbean Witch Doctors.. a hex will be placed on your restaurant and it will never sell... and wait till we start with the pins and doll...
Ha, ha, I forgot about thse bloody witch doctors, it may be to late for them as there is a lot of movement (at last)..........

Put it this way, Ive done from CC up to RYA coastal Skipper so far, I can only say BEFORE that I THOUGHT I could just hop on a boat & sail of into the sunset, how wrong I was..............and what a BIG mistake I would have made! IMHO it would be madness to set off on an extended journey without some sort of experience........it seems like this fella in this thread had NONE & did not even know how to prep? IF im not mistaken Spain, Greece & Portugal do ask to see that you have at least to RYA day skipper in thier waters?
Old 21-01-2014, 18:52   #263

Quote:
Okey, why do you need a license to drive a car ?. Why do you need to periodically renew this license ? Why did we not get a one off lifetime Certificate for car driving? I think the answer is MONEY and control!

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 18:55   #264

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Here you need a license to fish, but not breed. Does that make sense?
The only thing that can make sailors dumber is a license telling them how smart they are.
Old 21-01-2014, 19:29   #265
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ha, ha, I forgot about thse bloody witch doctors, it may be to late for them as there is a lot of movement (at last)..........

Put it this way, Ive done from CC up to RYA coastal Skipper so far, I can only say BEFORE that I THOUGHT I could just hop on a boat & sail of into the sunset, how wrong I was..............and what a BIG mistake I would have made! IMHO it would be madness to set off on an extended journey without some sort of experience........it seems like this fella in this thread had NONE & did not even know how to prep? IF im not mistaken Spain, Greece & Portugal do ask to see that you have at least to RYA day skipper in thier waters?
This is true.. and you'll find that those countries have high fee's for annual-tri annual renewal.. for their own people.. 5 catagory's..
However the UK does not.. we are free to cruise our own waters un=licensed which is how it should be.. I did it for years before I decided I was good enough to sail offshore.. then I took the tests which I pay to renew every 5 years for that privilege..
Your in a country that requires licenses for its own folk you live by their rules.. but don't push for it in the UK.. its f&$ked up enuf already in to many ways..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-01-2014, 19:42   #266

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
This is true.. and you'll find that those countries have high fee's for annual-tri annual renewal.. for their own people.. 5 catagory's..
However the UK does not.. we are free to cruise our own waters un=licensed which is how it should be.. I did it for years before I decided I was good enough to sail offshore.. then I took the tests which I pay to renew every 5 years for that privilege..
Your in a country that requires licenses for its own folk you live by their rules.. but don't push for it in the UK.. its f&$ked up enuf already in to many ways..
Agree - if you want to screw something up completely - put the government in charge of it.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 19:52   #267
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
You guys have done this much longer than me, im just a newbie! Im not suggesting the govement gets involved in anything, I just would have thought there would be some sort of one off competence test valid for life that was required before you set sail in anything bigger than a sailing dingy!, I certainly had not expected to open such a can of worms??
Old 21-01-2014, 20:32   #268
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You guys have done this much longer than me, im just a newbie! Im not suggesting the govement gets involved in anything, I just would have thought there would be some sort of one off competence test valid for life that was required before you set sail in anything bigger than a sailing dingy!, I certainly had not expected to open such a can of worms??
Don't worry about it Pablo... its just a Liberty thing..
Personally.. I'm alright Jack.. I got mine already..
So DGAF...

Old 21-01-2014, 20:44   #269
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Don't worry about it Pablo... its just a Liberty thing..
Personally.. I'm alright Jack.. I got mine already..
So DGAF...
You will have me bringing up the multi v mono thing soon, LOL........By the way......I was near you in the summer, we did a 16 day milage building trip from Gib to faro, lovely journey, highlite having shell fish stew on a small Portugese Island full of drunken fishermen (Forget the name now)! Then there was that Marina where all the houses are painted multi colours!! I also Kindda liked Ayamonte where the pint of beer in the frozen glass went down well in 36c of heat!!
Old 21-01-2014, 20:53   #270
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahah.. you anchored off Isla Culatra.. used to be a beautiful green lagoon but most of the grasses have been killed of that side...
The painted houses must have been Tavrira...

Tags
florida, sail