Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 14:25   #181

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin28 View Post
Are you kidding me??? This schmuck wants to do it again? This is why I cant stand hipsters, great example of the moral decay that my generation has brought to this country...sorry America
What is it exactly that you are crying about?

And by the way, how are things in Pensacola? I raced catamarans there for 12 years while I was working there. Plus at Ft Walton and Panama City, and Ocean Springs, MS. And at Juana's in September. It was fun stuff and tough with the quality of sailors you had to race against.

Also I have a question for you, Did you eat in harmony today with your environment? I'm sorry but I have the feeling you did not.

Also what does moral decay have to do with a guy that beaches a sailboat due to lack of experience?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:38   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
What is it exactly that you are crying about?

And by the way, how are things in Pensacola? I raced catamarans there for 12 years while I was working there. Plus at Ft Walton and Panama City, and Ocean Springs, MS. And at Juana's in September. It was fun stuff and tough with the quality of sailors you had to race against.

Also I have a question for you, Did you eat in harmony today with your environment? I'm sorry but I have the feeling you did not.

Also what does moral decay have to do with a guy that beaches a sailboat due to lack of experience?

Yikes!!

Did someone have a tough day???? It is now beer:30 EST pop the top off one.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:45   #183

Re: Sailor abandons boat off Florida coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I'd kind of like to know who exactly are "you fellas."
Hi SkiprJohn, I responded once to this but it got deleted. Hopefully, I can do a better job this time.

I was defending the guy's actions because he had a dream and went for it which is so different than the normal guy.

Basically, I thought I should defend him somewhat from the guy that first took some classes, then went sailing when it was perfect with an instructor for an hour or two etc, then ventured out all by himself on the creek by the dock for another 1-2 hour sail.

I don't believe in mass persecution of a young guy that's is just trying to live his dream.

Now one thing we can all be happy about is that he did have sense enough not to venture too far off shore.
Old 15-01-2014, 14:50   #184

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

He needs more than a motor and a dingy!
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:50   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Yikes!!

Did someone have a tough day???? It is now beer:30 EST pop the top off one.
Thanks.. maybe SkiprJohn got me too fired up .....................plus I haven't been able to run, ride, or bike for a few days.

And I just notice SkiprJohn is retired navy. gaysus h! I spent my whole day at Naval Station Norfolk. And before that NAS Pensacola, and before that....................point is I was only ever at 3 "real" military bases: Cherry Point, MCAS Yuma, and Bogue Field....................plus I guess Parris Island counts but speaking of folks with mental deficiency they are there in abundance.

Btw, I really like the Tartan 33 but am concerned about the cored hulls. What do you think?
Old 15-01-2014, 15:17   #186
cruiser

Quote:
I don't believe in mass persecution of a young guy that's is just trying to live his dream.
There's a big difference between someone living his dream in a responsible manner, and some dopey Nitwit..... who lives to mooch.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:19   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There's a big difference between someone living his dream in a responsible manner, and some dopey Nitwit..... who lives to mooch.
Well, he did pay for his boat I believe, and the grapefruit. He also read a book about sailing before he ventured forth.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:26   #188
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailor Abandons Boat off Florida coast

Well... the money Comedians get paid for entertaining folks I reckon CF owes him a replacement 25ftr and a box of Grapefruit.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:27   #189

Boat: Macgregor 21

Quote:
Basically, I thought I should defend him somewhat from the guy that first took some classes, then went sailing when it was perfect with an instructor for an hour or two etc, then ventured out all by himself on the creek by the dock for another 1-2 hour sail.

What's wrong with doing it this way - and having a liability insurance policy in place to protect other boat owners?

Seems like he could still "live his dream" while actually doing so using common sense. Once you've ventured out by yourself on the creek by the dock for another 1-2 hour sail (after classes and lessons, etc.) he might not have made the mistakes he made and that boat might still be afloat.

Jumping into something with both feet without thinking it through isn't "living the dream." It's acting with reckless disregard and that is a selfish act. I see nothing wrong with persecuting someone (to an extent) who appears to act irrationally in daily life choices - and then ends up in a jam.

Persecution by others is part of the learning process. If you don't want to look and feel stupid, think about it first. At least then, when you screw up, the persecution is less harsh.
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:30   #190

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The purpose of a thread like this is so that CF'rs can get all their aggression out. It is directed at a non CF'r so that is not against the rules. The thread will not be shut down. Pile on boys and girls. Although it's a shame a little boat had to die. $200 was a cheap funeral. At home it's classed as hazardous material and it costs a lot to break up a fiberglass boat.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:30   #191

The guys name is Jonah! Maybe he felt a calling.............
Old 15-01-2014, 15:32   #192
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Btw, I really like the Tartan 33 but am concerned about the cored hulls. What do you think?
LOVE IT! Moving up from kayaking, it was my "learn to sail a big boat". I put it up for sale a few months ago so I could move up to a 39. The problem I have is every time I take her out I ask myself "Why sell her?" I am back debating with myself about selling her.

If her manufacturer's name started with a letter other than a "T", I would be worried. The T-33 is a great value, great boat to sail single handed, or with a crew.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:36   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo1 View Post
What's wrong with doing it this way - and having a liability insurance policy in place to protect other boat owners?

Seems like he could still "live his dream" while actually doing so using common sense. Once you've ventured out by yourself on the creek by the dock for another 1-2 hour sail (after classes and lessons, etc.) he might not have made the mistakes he made and that boat might still be afloat.

Jumping into something with both feet without thinking it through isn't "living the dream." It's acting with reckless disregard and that is a selfish act. I see nothing wrong with persecuting someone (to an extent) who appears to act irrationally in daily life choices - and then ends up in a jam.

Persecution by others is part of the learning process. If you don't want to look and feel stupid, think about it first. At least then, when you screw up, the persecution is less harsh.
He probably couldn't afford all that other stuff. He never could have done it the proper way. Plus he did have an adventure.........but he didn't have anyone taking pictures of him from the dock on his maiden voyage.

I mean jeez, we have guys piling on this dude that have boats that costs more than most folks homes. These folks are good at making money. This guy Jonah is good at original thought.
Old 15-01-2014, 15:44   #194

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo1 View Post

+1 Shame is a powerful motivator.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:46   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
+1 Shame is a powerful motivator.
But he didn't feel any shame, and he promises to pay off the tow fee at $10.00 a month.

Folks need to realize he goes by another set of rules.

Tags
florida, sail