Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 18:31   #1

Boat: Lapworth 44
sailing with arms and ammo

I'm new here , had my last boat in the 90's , finally getting another. Never traveled , by boat , very far. This time , going for it. Question , from what I understand , if your boat is a U.S. flagged vessel , then , basically you're under U.S. laws. My understanding is you may carry any and all legal ( in U.S. ) weapons to whatever country , just declare them. The host country decides to leave them securely on your boat , or secure them , and return them when you stamp out. Anyone with current , real information ? Thanks , Steve , i.e. mr.relaxaction
Old 20-08-2016, 18:34   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: sailing with arms and ammo

Nope.
Old 20-08-2016, 18:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Steve, and Welcome aboard CF!

The topic you chose for your first post is a controversial one that has been discussed many times and has many threads related with many opinions, anecdotes, and advice in those threads. There are literally hours and hours of reading available on the topic.

Here is a list of the threads to get you started. There are 4,300 links in this list and they do contain about every question and answer you might likely consider.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...uns&gsc.page=1
Old 20-08-2016, 18:38   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

Thanks, Steady, that's what I meant to say.
Old 20-08-2016, 19:15   #5

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxaction View Post
I'm new here , had my last boat in the 90's , finally getting another. Never traveled , by boat , very far. This time , going for it. Question , from what I understand , if your boat is a U.S. flagged vessel , then , basically you're under U.S. laws. My understanding is you may carry any and all legal ( in U.S. ) weapons to whatever country , just declare them. The host country decides to leave them securely on your boat , or secure them , and return them when you stamp out. Anyone with current , real information ? Thanks , Steve , i.e. mr.relaxaction
Steve here is a thread I started this is mainly confined to the US and Canada but good info none the less.
Hot topic
Bahamas is a no brainier, other than that, extremely difficult.
Good luck
Firearms on the Great Loop Route laws and regs? - Page 6 - Trawler Forum
Old 20-08-2016, 19:20   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37
sailing with arms and ammo

When you travel to a foreign country you are subject to their laws, not your home country's laws. Few (perhaps no) first world countries are so liberal about guns as the USA. Many countries restrict or prohibit hand guns, semi auto and large magazines. It will be an added challenge in many places.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 20-08-2016, 20:33   #7

Travel into Mexico state waters with a gun onboard and you will get free accommodation in a wonderful prison. Most other countries will allow you to surrender your weapons and get them back when you leave. So you can have them on board a USA registered flagged vessel while in international waters. International waters is generally considered 24 nm off land. Sail closers and you become subject to that country's laws.

A flame thrower may be easier. Not sure if it's classified as a weapon by everyone. Another thing to think about his small range mini underwater projectiles directed at a pirates vessel broadside. Could make an interesting project to make a device that hangs off your stern into the water that has an electric trigger and the submerged projectile launcher could be moved by hand from a little wheel on top of the shaft the projectile launcher is attached to.

If boarded by CG you can always say the device is a scientific instrument used to record water Temps and oxygen levels. You send in daily reports NOA. Even have some dummy gauges as a disguise.

Another thing would be a pull apart firearm. Thin metal barrels that could be made to look like a galley mop handle. Metal Butt that is disguised as part of the engine room contraptions. The trigger etc in your fishing tackle box. Disguised of course. Mind you, you would probably need at least an hour to put your firearm together. Well out of time to protect yourself from plates.

A really novel solution could be an onboard 3D printer. When in Mexican waters throw your plastic gun overboard. When entering more gun friendly waters print up a new gun. And yes you can 3D print a gun.

After looking at this from all sides I most likely will not be carrying weapons on board. Having said that a few concealed sharp bladed knives throughout the boat could save my life if boarded. Anyone thinking of this as a former of defence would need training in arm to arm combat.
Old 20-08-2016, 21:17   #8

Boat: Pearson 367

If you feel like you need a gun to feel safe in another country then you shouldn't go there.
Old 20-08-2016, 22:52   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

When pirates show up they tend to arrive with 4-5 guys armed with AK-47 derivitaves. Even assuming you have a pistol you are grotesquely overmatched with a knife you are. Just going to piss someone off.

If you have a run in with normal thieves they are coming for your outboard or dinghy at night. And will be gone long before you get a knife out and do anything anyway.

Finally in many countries using leathal force is not allowed to protect property. So if you attack a guy with a knife for stealing your outboard expect to spend a decade or two in prison for assault with a deadly weapon.

In the Bahamas for instance you can use force to evict a trespasser, but cannot cause a 'wound or grevious harm' in the process. So you can throw them out, but if you stab them you have also committed a felony. Bahamas Penal Code section 108.2. http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...enalCode_1.pdf

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 21-08-2016, 00:49   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just carry a spare anchor to hide the body for long enough to clear the area. I prefer CQR's it's really all they are good for.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-08-2016, 01:10   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Short answer is that it is not worth the trouble, if it is even possible at all. It is an immense hassle at best to take guns on board to other countries, with maybe just one or two exceptions.

What that means in really practical terms is that armed self defense is not practically available as a means to mitigate risks of being a victim of crime, when you are cruising abroad. So you have to mitigate that risk in some other way. Either don't go to high crime areas (you could spend a lifetime cruising Europe and never lock your companionway hatch), or mitigate the risks in other ways (careful where you anchor, good alarms, travel in company, etc.).
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 21-08-2016, 04:00   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

Old 21-08-2016, 07:07   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

All these replies are from well known anti-2nd Amendment activists!

Whilst handguns and rifles are illegal its leagally free world-wide to have a fixed, mounted on a tripod a .50 cal machine gun as long as the US flag is flying.

Also legal are missiles and torpedos on boats over 30 feet.

A pirate has never, ever attacked a sailing boat carrying torpedos!
Old 21-08-2016, 07:39   #14

A lot of countries have very different cultures, laws, and personal rights, than we have in the US. You would do well to educate yourself about all of them, not just gun laws, before traveling.

I worked as a U.S. federal law enforcement officer for my life career and was tasked with working overseas with foreign police on many occasions. I often came back home with a renewed appreciation for our Bill of Rights.
Old 21-08-2016, 08:17   #15

Boat: Lapworth 44

Thanks for not answering my question. I have traveled the world very extensively . I lived in Mexico , Central America , and Asia for 21 years , between 1993 and 2004. I think I have a right to protect my family when traveling , no matter what country. Problem is , one CANNOT be armed in any capacity while traveling foreign countries by land. However , the sea is another animal all together , as there are no local police. I was hopping to receive a knowable reply , not just some leftest opinion. Thanks , Mr Relaxaction
Closed Thread

Tags
sail, sailing