Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 01:00   #61
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Re: Sailing very dangerous--for the elderly!

It was a good thing he didn't have his cellphone on him otherwise it would have died from the dunking. Perhaps need two cellphones.......
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 03:59   #62

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

So, a young whipper snapper thinks 70 is elderly! Back in the day reference like that would have gotten him a good ...... something or other. Hrmph! Now where was I?? Oh yeah ... JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 04:43   #63

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

anybody could be hurt jumping 1 metre plus from moving object onto hard wet moving object / sailing is when you have the cloth up in the air and you are moving forward/ hope you heal soon and are able to enjoy your boat
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 04:54   #64

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I'm a little surprised by the quite a few posts claiming age has nothing to do with injury. I acknowledge the very few that do acknowledge it.

At the elderly age of 70, whether one wants to admit to it or not, the great majority of 'western' persons need to keep in mind that injury can be more likely, more serious and prolonged to heal. In this case his hip broke. An exceptionally serious thing for a 70 year old who's bones are often much more brittle than they used to be.

I'm not at all suggesting the elderly should not sail. I hope to do the majority of my sailing in my older age. But as we get older, we have to be realistic and recognise that a 70 year old jumping from a height and a moving, wet height, is inherently more dangerous with far more serious consequences than for a 20-30-40 year old doing it. We have to be more conscious than our youthful fearless years as our bodies can't take the punishment we once gave them.

I wish him well and hope he heals quickly so he can get back out and do what he likes.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 05:10   #65

Boat: lancer 36

the most dangerous part of sailing for ANYBODY happens during the drive to the marina.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 11:22   #66

Boat: Baltic 52

I'm 72. Dealing with cancer, heart failure and a couple of other fun things. Six weeks ago, I was about 30 miles offshore, 20k breeze, medium, to big bumps and a fast downhill leg in the Newport - Ensenada race.

I was asked what I'm doing out there. The explanation is simple: I'm still a pretty good boat driver, and sometime spinnaker trimmer. So, why should I sit on the couch and worry about my ailments, or live my life. Example: Crew instructions are that if I expire in mid-race, stuff by dead butt in a sailbag, use me for ballast, and finish the race. The rule requires that we finish with the same crew you started with, but doesn't specifies alive. One way or the other, the boat has to go a mooring.

Age is not a limitation. Infirmity may be, but there's nothing keeping you from sailing within the real limitations.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:41   #67

Boat: Vagabond 14

Age affects the "bill" when you exceed your physical limits.

A 18 yr old slipping from that 4 ft jump onto wet slick finger pier would get up with a bruise and be fine in a day.

But he'd most likely still have fallen.
He would do his best not to admit it.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:47   #68

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
the most dangerous part of sailing for ANYBODY happens during the drive to the marina.
not for those who live aboard!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:48   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Thats it, I was taken out by a flower garden.
Two great dangers frequently underestimated by men: women and flower gardens.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 13:06   #70

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE=Paul J. Nolan;2143397]Two great dangers frequently underestimated by men: women and flower gardens.

Paul[/QUOTE

Hence "tip toe through the tulips...."

Bash through and women and graden alike will seek revenge! : p
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:29   #71

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm a little surprised by the quite a few posts claiming age has nothing to do with injury. I acknowledge the very few that do acknowledge it.

At the elderly age of 70, whether one wants to admit to it or not, the great majority of 'western' persons need to keep in mind that injury can be more likely, more serious and prolonged to heal. In this case his hip broke. An exceptionally serious thing for a 70 year old who's bones are often much more brittle than they used to be.

I'm not at all suggesting the elderly should not sail. I hope to do the majority of my sailing in my older age. But as we get older, we have to be realistic and recognise that a 70 year old jumping from a height and a moving, wet height, is inherently more dangerous with far more serious consequences than for a 20-30-40 year old doing it. We have to be more conscious than our youthful fearless years as our bodies can't take the punishment we once gave them.
Not very popular reality in this case

And since you have brought reality to the thread I will continue saying I am quite amazed nobody had acknowledged an obvious increasing risk to elderly sailors, specially solo sailors or offshore sailors: Health care is many hours, sometimes days away and with the increasing age, mostly after 60 the chances of needing urgent medical treatment increases dramatically.

I bet most of us have friends that survived after strokes, cardiac arrest and other almost fatal accidents due only to the availability of very fast emergency health care. None of them would have survived if they were many hours away from health intensive care.

Sure, one can decide that at an advanced age, it is his own live and that he is willing to take the added risks the non availability of quick medical assistance represents regarding staying alive and well, but denying that does not represent an added life threatening risk makes no sense.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 14:54   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've noticed that as I age, "acceptable risk" has changed for me [as frailties have increased, proximity to medical care has become more of an issue], and also, I'm more and more aware that the end of the story is both closer and inevitable. So what? The actual process of dying probably isn't going to take very long: it is the process of living with a horrible illness that may be time consuming and expensive (as well as mentally and physically painful). Because there's nothing you can do about it once you've been struck by *whatever*, imo, one's best stance is to focus on the joys of your life: smile and laugh whenever you can, do what you enjoy. Why on earth not? (Written in the knowledge that we never know in advance what the sticky little details may be.)
Old 13-06-2016, 15:11   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

it is not aging one must concern ones self with--it is the stupid maneuvers and dum moves. they will kill ye. every time
as for offshore health care delivery??? sorry not interested. i only HOPE i can die while sailing. yes i have otto pile it. i just need to outlive the cat

as a disabled healthcare deliverer, i am not interested in placing me in someone elses hands. i am shark food, thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 16:04   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Accidental falls are the leading cause of accidental deaths in people over 65, way ahead of autombile accidents, drowning, and poisoning. That also means they are a serious cause of death in younger people - there is nothing magical about being 65. I remind myself of this on occasion, as I climb about my boat, and recall that I am well past that age.....In the words of the immortal Phil Esterhouse, "Let's be careful out there."
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 17:03   #75

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
as a disabled healthcare deliverer, i am not interested in placing me in someone elses hands. i am shark food, thankyou.

It's the gotta outlive Bubba part, for me, zee. Jim and I are supposed to take care of each other, and for me, that means being here for him.

However, I do have to say that you are not the first healthcare giver who has said that to me, and I agree your plan is the most humane in the long run. It isn't location that is everything, it is TIMING.

Ann

Tags
danger, sail, sailing