Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 15:12   #1

Sailing very dangerous--for the elderly!

Last Monday tropical storm "COLIN" blew past St Pete Florida with the center 250 miles due east and winds of 30-48 mph from the SSW. My friend John went to his marina to adjust the dock lines on his 35ft sailboat at 11 PM in the evening. It was raining heavily and wind blowing 30-40 mph. It was also high tide and the storm pushed an additional surge on it of 2ft so his boat was way up higher than usual. When leaving he decided to 'jump' the 4+ft down to the finger dock. He is 70yo ,6-4 and 220 lbs. He landed a little awkward angle and his right hip "snapped" and rolled helplessly into the water between his sailboat and the finger pier. With a great effort he grabbed the taught spring line and managed to stand up on it with his good leg and hauled himself onto the finger dock amidst the raging wind and rain of the storm! He then scooted on his butt using his arms and good leg the 130 yards to his car parked in the marinas lot-- got up and inside to reach his cellphone and dialed 911. The first responders found him--still conscious and took him to a local hospital. The operated immediately and put a ss pin and 3 screws to repair the break. He is now recovering and walking with a stroller and pain pills. He is one tough resourceful sailor.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:23   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailing very dangerous--for the elderly!

Well, good on him for saving himself so efficiently. May he heal fast and well.

Ann
Old 11-06-2016, 15:39   #3

Sorry to hear that, hope he's well. Hopping off a boat is unnecessary. And I share his age.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I wish him the best as well, but I'm less likely to interpret this as "Sailing is very dangerous--for the elderly". Maybe it's better stated as, "Leaping to a wet dock from a rocking boat is very dangerous--for an elderly heavy guy.

My Son broke his leg falling from a seated position on a 15" high push toy when he was two. Maybe it's better said as, "Falling can be risky". Sometimes you can just land wrong.

Still, I'm sympathetic to the injured and wish him the best and fast recovery!
Old 11-06-2016, 16:02   #5

Boat: Pearson 281

Thank you Hudson Force. Sympathies for sure, OUCH!
Less to do with age than bad judgment in this case.
Funny, I was just talking to someone about a guy named Webb Chiles, oh, and then there is Harry Heckle, oh and...
Making an assumption here but, if you are fortunate enough to make 70 you may see why your post is problematic.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 16:33   #6

Boat: Vagabond 14

Well... I wouldn't call this a "sailing" is dangerous to the elderly issue...

Jumping down a few feet for any reason can be dangerous to the elderly, because as you.r age your bones WILL become weaker and less flexible.

We don't like to admit to or follow the limitations due to getting older... but after 45 (earlier for some people...) you can expect to start slowing down and not be able to get away with stuff that was easy as a teenager.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 17:01   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I glad he will get better. But one can break a leg not even doing dangerous things like jumping to a dock from a heaving boat. Case in point, at 47 I broke my leg. It was the only break Ive ever had, despite skiing, roller skating, hiking in dangerous places etc.
I broke my leg when my toe caught the flower garden edging and my stiff soled shoe didnt follow through with the twist as I fell. Thats it, I was taken out by a flower garden.
Freak accident with just the right factors really.
I am not a fragile thing. Im sturdy and strong.
From what I can see sailingnis safe...its the stuff on land that you have to watch out for!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 17:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Making an assumption here but, if you are fortunate enough to make 70 you may see why your post is problematic.
It happens that I was born seventy years ago, but that has not seemed to help my understanding. What's "problematic"? 'no clue comes with the whistllng.
Help me please.
Old 11-06-2016, 18:02   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
It happens that I was born seventy years ago, but that has not seemed to help my understanding. What's "problematic"? 'no clue comes with the whistllng.
Help me please.
Why yes, I was wondering wtf you meant, too... as i'm almost a decade older than Hudson, who is a mere youth!

And yes, most of us oldies know that there are some of us who still undertake serious voyages, so what are we to learn from your innuendos?

Jim
Old 11-06-2016, 18:23   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Sh*t happens. Things break, even us sometimes. Mend and make, repair and make do. Maybe an appropriate adage for us older sailors is the cruising is healing in exotic locations.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:40   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Sorry to hear what happened to your friend, but happy to know it turned out OK for him. Not getting back out of the water like that could have been very bad. I tell everyone who takes the dock lines as we pull into the slip, that if it's far enough that they have to jump, then don't do it. I don't really need the lines to make it in and I've seen too many people (young as well as older) land poorly or slide on a wet dock. Best just to never do it. Sometimes, getting down from something on your belly can be a tad embarrassing, but it's generally safer....

Speedy recovery!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 19:08   #12

Just reacting to the framing of this as an age issue which yes, in as much as it has to do with slower healing it may well be. When we get older we have to recognize the need to take greater care etc. etc. but that does not mean we stop
The inuendo/whistle comes from my own experience of too many younger people "setting limits" for me and others my age and that gets a bit tiring. Oh, and let me not forget Jeanne Socrates!

"Getting old aint for sissies!"
Betty Davis
Old 11-06-2016, 19:13   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Just reacting to the framing of this as an age issue which yes, in as much as it has to do with slower healing it may well be. When we get older we have to recognize the need to take greater care etc. etc. but that does not mean we stop
The inuendo/whistle comes from my own experience of too many younger people "setting limits" for me and others my age and that gets a bit tiring. Oh, and let me not forget Jeanne Socrates!

"Getting old aint for sissies!"
Betty Davis
Ahh, so! Now understood, and agreed. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jim
Old 11-06-2016, 19:29   #14

Should have just left it with your initial comment Hudson. Just me pickin' a fight where there is none.
Excuse the assumption Leo and I hope your friend heals quickly.
Old 11-06-2016, 20:21   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

From a mortality viewpoint just living is dangerous if you make it past 70 (72 this December) Gutsy old guy, that 150 yards to the car must have hurt like hell.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger, sail, sailing