Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 13:45   #106

Re: Sailing very dangerous--for the elderly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You should read a few more of the posts then. So far in this thread no one has called on any one of mature age to give up sailing. Many have rightly emphasised the need for mature age people to be particularly vigilant with their health because among other reasons, if you do get hurt the consequence could be much worse than it would be for someone in their 20's.

And stuff doesn't just happen there's always a cause.
Indeed!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 14:23   #107

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Guys, I'm thinking this particular horse is about dead!

I think "the elderly" is a term that fails to take into consideration the fact that there is considerable variation among people of any age group. I also think we mostly don't know when we should apply the term to ourselves. Others show us they think we're elderly, the people who offer you their seat on the bus, for example. But, we still feel like ourselves to us. Sure, some slow, some fast changes happen, and we accommodate and move on--or not.

Focusing on doing what you do that you like to do tends to keep you happy and healthy. One mustn't expect ecstatic joy 100% of the time, but definitely living is better than the alternative, and contentment possibly is happiness, just we haven't been told that, and it may take a while for us to understand it. As I mentioned earlier, I think positive self-talk and -thought help as well, as you do have some input into the situation, for improvement throughout most of your life.

Ann
Old 16-06-2016, 14:37   #108

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
3rd Accidental Suffication
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
How is this done? Its not in my book "How not the die".
This usually occurs when a grandchild brings a pillow as a gift for their bedridden rich grandparent. Preventable by spending all your money before you get too old.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:10   #109

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't agree. This thread is not about accidental injuries but about sailing being dangerous for the elderly.

I would say that not all types of sailing but if you are many hours away (or days) from land and have an heart attack or stroke (1st cause of dead over 65) your chances of surviving it or surviving it without permanent heavy damage are drastically reduced regarding if you are some minutes away from emergency medical help.

So I would say that sailing offshore over 65 diminishes significantly the chances to survive a heart attack or stroke and taking into consideration that heart attacks and strokes are the nº1 cause of death over 65 that is relevant regarding offshore sailing to increases life threatening risks for elderly.
Balancing this obvious truth (further from med help in case of heart attack, etc) is the observation that the active and healthy life style afforded to a cruiser reduces the likelihood of such events.

For me, I would far rather go sailing and try to stay healthy than to languish ashore, rotting in place but near to a hospital. I'm 78 now, and hope to still be cruising for a few more years!

Jim
Old 16-06-2016, 15:45   #110

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
How is this done? Its not in my book "How not the die".
"Suffocation, including deaths from positional asphyxia and choking on food or other objects, was the third leading cause of unintentional injury death"

It would seem that after so many attempts at going to the link I posted it's a paid sight. I hadn't realised that before.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:49   #111

It's true. I cut my little finger yesterday, and I'm not even elderly.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:54   #112

May the Lord grant me a quick heart attack aboard rather than a long painful undignified death in a hospital.

Anywhere over the side will do for a funeral.

Even had a close relative ask "what about the boat".

Not sure I'll bother spending too much time worrying about that.

Tony
Tbonem17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 16:20   #113

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonem17 View Post
May the Lord grant me a quick heart attack aboard rather than a long painful undignified death in a hospital.

Anywhere over the side will do for a funeral.

Even had a close relative ask "what about the boat".

Not sure I'll bother spending too much time worrying about that.

Tony
If this is what you want the most, you can guarantee you won't get it.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 16:29   #114

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

This was posted today in connection with a completely unrelated matter in an unrelated sailing forum on Yahoo Groups (I am not the person who made the post, but I think it is possibly instructive for the nay sayers on this thread):

"My Tartan is for sale, at age 84 it’s too much for single handing."
Old 16-06-2016, 16:52   #115

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

This discussion reminds me of a retired gentleman from South Carolina I met in central Mexico in 1977. He was traveling for two months, with a history of kidney stones. He said he had friends at home who wouldn't consider such a trip that would take them so far from their doctors. His comment was,. "I'm not going to stop living to keep from dying."
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 19:24   #116

[QUOTE=Steve Bean;2145942]This discussion reminds me of a retired gentleman from South Carolina I met in central Mexico in 1977. He was traveling for two months, with a history of kidney stones. He said he had friends at home who wouldn't consider such a trip that would take them so far from their doctors. His comment was,. "I'm not going to stop living to keep from dying."[/QUOTE]

I'm going to remember that
Old 16-06-2016, 22:16   #117

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Balancing this obvious truth (further from med help in case of heart attack, etc) is the observation that the active and healthy life style afforded to a cruiser reduces the likelihood of such events.

For me, I would far rather go sailing and try to stay healthy than to languish ashore, rotting in place but near to a hospital. I'm 78 now, and hope to still be cruising for a few more years!

Jim
Phew Jim, I hope that if I make 78 I'm still able to make the passages you folks do.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 22:20   #118

Quote:

Jim
I missed your post earlier. You two are an inspiration. I hope to meet you both next time your this way.
Old 17-06-2016, 13:50   #119

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:

Jim
I did not said that I would not keep sailing sometimes with some days out of any urgent medical care . I was only stating the obvious regarding the subject of this thread and the health risks.

That is true that an active live improves health but you don't have to do that days away of medical care: You can run, do bicycle and a huge amount of other moderate physical activities without being days away from medical care.

So yes, offshore sailing for the elderly (over 65) increases the health risks. To each one to weight the pleasure, advantages and disadvantages. It is a personal decision. Everybody knows that tobacco, obesity and a sedentary life increases health risks and many opt to continue to smoke to eat gourmet like and to seat long hours in front of the TV.

Not trying in any way to limit the choice of live or issue any judgment regarding different choices.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 15:08   #120

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Boy, I don't know but a Nonsuch, or a Freedom or a junk rig is a pretty gentle way to keep sailing into the older years, even singlehanding, no?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger, sail, sailing