Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:08   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing Upwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thomm.. Your missing the point in cruising.
Yes the Pretorian wil point 7 to 10 degrees higher than the Fisher thanks to its fin keel reducing leeway.. however in 2-3 metre plus seas which is not unusual conditions with 20kts of wind in open water the Fisher will plug comfortably on whereas the motion on the boat closer to the wind will be more violent and tiring on long legs like up the Portuguese coast.
Also.. laying off a few degrees reduces leeway and increases speed so on a long haul a Fisher may not be that far behind..
Swings and roundabouts.

I'm thinking something that is seaworthy and that can perform without it's engine is what I'd go for. We have 20 knot plus winds here regularly. I have to come off my anchorage right into them at times and have been anchored near shore while they try and pound me and my boat into the beach. With a bad engine, I'd want a boat that can sail into the wind at a good angle

The Fisher is sturdy as was stated on the Mahina Website in the link I supplied above, bit it's also a slow motor sailor

What it says about the Pretorien on the Mahina Offshore Boat List is as follows: Strong, fast & attractive, built by Wauquiez. Great value!

For the Gladiateur:
Very sturdy. Wauquiez built.

And for the Bristol 27: Good boats.

I'd go for a boat that you can cruise and enjoy just sailing...…..sort of like what I can do with the one I have now, but a bit more performance and waterline would be nice
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:19   #32

Boat: Fisher 37
Re: Sailing Upwind

I’m not going to try and defend the fisher other than to say that with the newer cutter ketch rig and bow sprit you will find the best performance of the range on the 37. That said it isn’t for everyone but for me it’s more than good enough to get where you want with plenty of sail options. In a good blow you won’t be disappointed.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, wind