Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 04:42   #1

Sailing to Cuba

We all know that it is "illegal" for us free Americans to exercise our freedoms to sail to Cuba, but from a real time perspective has anyone sailed direct to Havana from Florida for a quick stop before heading to the Bahamas? Does the USCG or Feds bother or track sailors? Thanks for any recent reports.
dMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:56   #2
Captain - s.v. Lastly Liberty

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via Skype™ to ThomasWeiss
Re: Sailing to Cuba

As far as I know the coast guard stopped the patrols just outside of Cuban waters (although that can change at any time) and Cuba still doesn't stamp American passports. That being said, I probably wouldn't want to risk the fines, possible jail time, & having my boat get confiscated. I'd love to go to Cuba, but I would make damn sure that I did it legally.
ThomasWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am watching the BBC World news now and your President may meet Castro in Panama. Hurray.

However, if border controls are removed will this destroy Cuba in a decades time with massive change?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:37   #4
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMAC View Post
We all know that it is "illegal" for us free Americans to exercise our freedoms to sail to Cuba, but from a real time perspective has anyone sailed direct to Havana from Florida for a quick stop before heading to the Bahamas? Does the USCG or Feds bother or track sailors? Thanks for any recent reports.
Be under no illusion that someone in an official capacity in a US governmental agency will not know if you've sailed an American boat to Cuba... They may very well know what you happened to be reading in the cockpit, enroute... :-)

What they might bother to do with such knowledge, however, is a different matter entirely...

Here's a recent report from SPINSHEET:

Quote:
It was the boat’s third visit to Cuba and one taken with renewed confidence that the United States government’s 50-year-old embargo and restrictions on travel to Cuba were just so many words of bluff.

Postcard from Cuba - SpinSheet

Postcard from Cuba Part 2 - SpinSheet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss View Post
As far as I know the coast guard stopped the patrols just outside of Cuban waters (although that can change at any time) and Cuba still doesn't stamp American passports. That being said, I probably wouldn't want to risk the fines, possible jail time, & having my boat get confiscated. I'd love to go to Cuba, but I would make damn sure that I did it legally.
Americans have been taking boats to Cuba for years. I made 3 separate trips one winter about a dozen years ago... In Marina Hemingway I watched a few NFL playoff games aboard a large expedition yacht registered in Wilmington, Delaware, whose owner brought his SUV over on the aft deck, and maintained an apartment in Havana... Fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger's 170' Benetti motoryacht TOMMY spent most of the winter in Havana, as well...

If anyone can cite a single case of an American yachtsman serving jail time, or having their boat confiscated as a result of traveling to Cuba, I'd sure like to hear about it... Certainly, the Treasury Department has threatened people with, and no doubt collected some fines over the years. I knew one owner who received such a threat, all he did was produce a Crew List indicating one of his guests was a Dutch citizen, and claimed to have documented that all expenses had been paid by that individual... With that reply, he never heard anything further from OFAC...

Marvelous place, but I'm glad I had the privilege of going when I did... :-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am watching the BBC World news now and your President may meet Castro in Panama. Hurray.

However, if border controls are removed will this destroy Cuba in a decades time with massive change?

Pete
Oh, didn't realize Castro has preserved a pristine gem with his People's Republic.

US yachts have been sailing to Cuba for years. Haven't heard of any penalties from our government for those who have. Mind you own business, don't try and undermine the dictatorship by bringing the internet to its citizens and you should be fine. It will undoubtedly be noted by the NSA and you'll have a file created on you but nothing will come of it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 18:02   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

As a Dockmaster of a small marina in SW Florida, quite a few boats have recently stopped in for a night or two on there way back home from Cuba. They have all traveled directly there, had a good time then came home. No problems of any kind. It sounds like the rules of travel to Cuba are still in place but like smoking a federaly illegal drug in a state were they have decided to leaglize it, no one really cares. Sure you are taking a chance of getting caught, but does anyone care. There are plenty of worry woarts out there, stay at home if you are uncomfortable.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 07:27   #7

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Whenever I return to the US whenever not using SVRS, I am asked during the customs "inspection" what countries I have been to since leaving the US. What do you folks who have been to Cuba say in response?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 07:58   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Whenever I return to the US whenever not using SVRS, I am asked during the customs "inspection" what countries I have been to since leaving the US. What do you folks who have been to Cuba say in response?
They cleared into Cuba, where they did not stamp there passport, then they came home. They never cleared back into the USA becuase the USA did not know they were gone.

If they would have been stopped, they would have used one of the 10 legal reasons for travel to Cuba.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 08:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Excellent question. I was wondering that myself. Especially, if you tell the truth and admit you were in Cuba and then they ask if you spent any money there, which of course, would be the basis for a fine.
Old 26-05-2015, 08:26   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

It has been my experience that you never burden bureaucrats with any more information than they absolutely need.

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing