Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2007, 03:59   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Apparently this is how you find the information notice for the 96 hour ruling on their "easy to use" website.

This is the notice that Customs expects you to know about.

To find this and other ACS notices or ACN’s, you must have web access. Go to their web site at
www.customs.gov.au .

That will open the home page, then on the right hand side of the page you will find a list of “quick links”.

Click on the one that says “media room”.
At that page you will see a list of about 30 small buttons on the left side of the page, click on the one that says “customs notices”.

On this page you can look on the left side again or in the centre of the page to find the phrase, “Australian Customs notices”. Click there.

On that page you will find a list of years.
This particular ACN was issued in 2005 so click on that year.
Now you will find a list of all notices issued in that year.
The one relevant to this report is 2005/31

Courtesy of TCP

This is from here

information for yachts travelling to australia - let us know you're coming

No HF contact detail here at all

The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival. Penalties may apply for failure to do so.
There are several agencies interested in your arrival - principally Customs, Quarantine and Immigration.
96 hours notice may be given by either;You will need to provide the following information
  • The name of your craft;
  • Your intended first port of arrival;
  • Your estimated arrival time;
  • Your last four ports;
  • The details of people on board including name, date of birth, nationality and passport number;
  • Details of any illness or disease recently encountered;
  • If you have any animals on board;
  • If you have any firearms on board.

Dave

Old 01-08-2007, 13:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
What I mean by HF, is that you would then surely have a fax.
I still don't see a problem. But maybe I am wrong as I haven't done this yet. But don't you have to gain Visa entry into the country anyway?? So you are going to need to talk to an Oz embassy in the country you are in prior. Or does it not work that way for cruisers???
I know it does for boats going from here to the US. We have to Physicaly travel to Auckland and have an actual interview to gain a Visa. It is really expensive and they start charging you from the time you start the phone call and it is really expensive.
If anyone is complaining about going to Oz, they need to try going to the US. Oz will look like a walk in the park after that other fiasco we have to go through. In fact, it maybe the one and only thing that stops us from going to the US next year. It will cost us more to get the Visa than it will to travel to the US. It's rediculouse.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 14:08   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oz doesn't seem so bad, unless I've lost my ability to translate their web site into proper American YnGlitch.

Just says that "The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival."

Now, when I ran this through the Babelfish it translated "not later than 96 hours" into " not less than 96 hours", meaning that if you notify them of your arrival A FULL MONTH BEFORE, from wherever you can send an email, telephone, or fax, you're in full compliance.

If your arrival time should happen to change because of the usual marine events and uncertainties...you're still in compliance. I would go further and state "expected to arrive between the xxth and the yyth of next month, please consider us overdue and issue a SAR alert if we have no arrived by that time." That should make it clear enough that you are going to be AT SEA and not arriving by railroad.

Wheels, exactly how many international watch lists are you on?
About the U.S. Consulate in Auckland - U.S. Embassy Wellington, New Zealand
That's the URL of the US Embassy in Wellington, and they seem to think that MOST Kiwis are welcome in the US:
"Most New Zealanders don't need a visa to visit the U.S. If you do, please make an appointment well in advance of your travel. While it often takes only a day or so to get a visa, the waiting period can be much longer depending on the time of year or the type of visa you need."

If phone calls are expensive, have you looked at Skype? Or another VOIP phone provider? Even international calling shouldn't cost you more than a few pence per minute. A great way to beat local/regional/intranational calling rates when you need to.
Old 01-08-2007, 14:16   #19

I have no experience entering other countries at present..What is required.? Someone earlier mentioned a Visa..do you need anything more than a passport for a short visit.? Say anything under a month.? I cannot imagine that anyone has that kinda security in place to make you spend months doing paperwork for a 2 week stay or whatever..So much for the freedom that was once a part of everyday life..Columbus: (with flag in hand) I hereby claim this land for...Native American Chief: Hold it right there, white face.!! Did you bring your papers.? Notify us in writing as to your arrival within the 96 hour window?..Where are your passport and 3 forms of identification.?Columbus: But, I had no method of communication while at sea..I didn't even know you existed..!Native American Chief: Ignorance is not an excuse..Off to Guantanemo Bay with you.!!
Old 01-08-2007, 14:41   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, Columbus was a thief. As was the King he served.

Now, there's nothing to stop you from running off and claiming land the same way, but today, most folks are a bit more organized than the ones who greeted Columbus. They'll clap you in jail and give you a chance to repent many months later.

If you want to know entry requirements, look 'em up for each place you plan to go. Or take a ride to the UN and start walking down the halls, asking in each office.
< G >
Old 01-08-2007, 14:52   #21

so much easier to be a thief back in the day..
So, maybe I should land in Au. with a homemade flag and claim a beach for myself..Think anyone would trade it to me for a few beads and trinkets.? Maybe some tobacco..?

All of this is a long way off for me, I was just curious about it..hard to concentrate at work when I have visions of open water in my head..
Old 01-08-2007, 16:51   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
What I mean by HF, is that you would then surely have a fax.
I still don't see a problem. But maybe I am wrong as I haven't done this yet. But don't you have to gain Visa entry into the country anyway?? So you are going to need to talk to an Oz embassy in the country you are in prior. Or does it not work that way for cruisers???
I know it does for boats going from here to the US. We have to Physicaly travel to Auckland and have an actual interview to gain a Visa. It is really expensive and they start charging you from the time you start the phone call and it is really expensive.
If anyone is complaining about going to Oz, they need to try going to the US. Oz will look like a walk in the park after that other fiasco we have to go through. In fact, it maybe the one and only thing that stops us from going to the US next year. It will cost us more to get the Visa than it will to travel to the US. It's rediculouse.
If you read the article about the Manzari's you would see that they did in fact visit the Aus consulate in New Cal. The notice of entry requirement was not made known to them at that time. They were given a 30 page document of what was needed, but the notice requirement wasn't on it. In fact they say the Aus consulate was still not informing cruisers of this requirement ONE YEAR LATER.

To me that is a form of entrapment. Like getting done for speeding in an area where there are no speed limit signs.

I don't think giving the required notice will be too difficult for cruisers IF THEY KNOW THEY HAVE TO. But if the Aus govt isn't telling people, how are they to find out?
Old 01-08-2007, 19:41   #23

scgilligan....check out www.noonsite.com You'll find heaps of info there on entry, visas, etc, etc....things do change and some places whatever goes (despite what the official rules are). You'll figure it out as you get into it and move along.

- J
Old 02-08-2007, 03:08   #24

Boat: 44 foot bruce farr fractional rig
I really don't see the problem with Australia. It's the same as NZ except I think we are 48 hrs notice. It's not problem to send a fax or email before you leave with your intentions. What is the issue? I don't think it is an excuse that people don't know what is going on. Last season in the islands ie. Fiji/Vanuatu etc. cruisers were well aware of what was going on. The HF/SSB was full of news of how strict Aussie was. A few cruisers were of the opinion they did not have to abide by the country rules and I guess that's ok as long as they don't mind paying the fines. I just went to the website and had a look at the entry requirements. Oh well I've just got to Townsville. Picked the boat up today and we will head off as soon as for New Cal. We will get to deal with the lovely Aussie customs people!!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman
I really don't see the problem with Australia. It's the same as NZ except I think we are 48 hrs notice. It's not problem to send a fax or email before you leave with your intentions. What is the issue? I don't think it is an excuse that people don't know what is going on. Last season in the islands ie. Fiji/Vanuatu etc. cruisers were well aware of what was going on. The HF/SSB was full of news of how strict Aussie was. A few cruisers were of the opinion they did not have to abide by the country rules and I guess that's ok as long as they don't mind paying the fines. I just went to the website and had a look at the entry requirements. Oh well I've just got to Townsville. Picked the boat up today and we will head off as soon as for New Cal. We will get to deal with the lovely Aussie customs people!!
Getting out is easy, and they have alway's been nice as pie and very lax.

Wait until you try to come back., when will you arrive, a general sometime this week is not good enough, they want a time.

Alan, one of the guy's being harassed at the moment stopped at Saumarez island on the way back from the Louisiades so as to use the phone and notify custom's.

He was an Aussie and new the rules.

No phone card's available on the island, so no call possible, world of grief.

Dave
Old 02-08-2007, 04:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Of course all the dude's getting dragged through court, or given a hard time by custom's are just making it up right???

Like I asked last time you came out with this sort of statement, How would you propose to satisfy the 96 hour ruling on a vessel with no email or Satphone.??

What have your experiences been.??

When and if you get a boat, how will you address these comunication issues ??

Have you actually dealt with Australian Custom's??

What evidence have you got to back up your statement's ??

Dave
Well Dave,lets do it by the numbers.

#1,Being serious,all you know about those people being dragged through court,is at best 3rd hand,by way of TCP.Everyone that goes yo court has a story of inocence.Even the jurno reporting the story will state so.Truth is,"Who Knows?"It's not happening to every sailor entering OZ.

#2How would I satisfy the 96hr ruling on a vessle with no E-Mail or sat phone.Easy.By first finding out what is required to enter "ANY" contry and adhereing to those requirments.Sometimes,"She'll be right dosen't cut the cake."

#3,None,and not many people seem to be haveing any problems as well.

#4,See #2.

#5,No and not every cruiser comming to OZ is haveing a problem with dealing with then either.

#6,What statements do you want me to back-up?.

Dave I hope ya don't get caught into rubbishing OZ because some overseas wannabe needs to sensationalise(SP?)his need to sell advertisment at our cost to the market.Get a grip mate.Don't get me wrong,I've read some of TCP,It's not all that bad.But I for one won't be selling my country short on cheap jurnalism.Crap belongs where crap belongs."Nazi jackboot",Its the biggest load of crap I've ever heard,and you for one should'nt be passing it down the line as if it was gosple. Mudnut.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
Well Dave,lets do it by the numbers.

How would I satisfy the 96hr ruling on a vessle with no E-Mail or sat phone.Easy.By first finding out what is required to enter "ANY" contry and adhereing to those requirments.Sometimes,"She'll be right dosen't cut the cake."
How would you do this? If you went to the AUSTRALIAN CONSULATE and THEY didn't give you the correct information how would you find out? ESP? Hold a seance? Read some tealeaves?

People are facing possible JAIL TIME because the Aus consulate failed to do their jobs properly.

Quote:
#3,None,and not many people seem to be haveing any problems as well.
No experience, and no idea either. If you spend any time in a marina in Aus you will hear plenty of stories about heavy handed Customs, fisheries, or police on the water.

Lately I don't get out on the water very often, I am too busy building the new boat, but I have still been boarded by fisheries this year - for no reason - I wasn't fishing. They went below as if they owned the boat, who knows what they were looking for - that boat was my HOME a while ago - how would you like some uniformed thug wandering into your HOME as if he owned it?

We have also been stopped by customs leaving Port Stevens, and also near Coffs Harbour - for absolutely no reason.

Quote:
Dave I hope ya don't get caught into rubbishing OZ because some overseas wannabe needs to sensationalise(SP?)his need to sell advertisment at our cost to the market.Get a grip mate.Don't get me wrong,I've read some of TCP,It's not all that bad.But I for one won't be selling my country short on cheap jurnalism.Crap belongs where crap belongs."Nazi jackboot",Its the biggest load of crap I've ever heard,and you for one should'nt be passing it down the line as if it was gosple. Mudnut.
It's not rubbishing Aus to tell the truth about it. This is a fantastic country, and even after the Manzari's experiences here they still think so. But there are some people in Customs, Fisheries, and the water Police, who overstep their authority. It needs to be brought out into the open so something will be done about it.

I happen to know Bob, the editor of TCP personally, as does Dave, and the guy is an honest operator. He doesn't sensationalize to sell advertising. Mostly he simply lets others tell their stories. They happen to be true. If they make Australia look bad, well sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25   #28

So 44cruisingcat,Youve obviously been dragged through court lately,or,maybe not.

Maybe I haven't had the experience youv'e had with customs,or was it the "Fisheries department",that sort of thing happens every day all over the world.Why should it seem so out of place here.I actually thought the crux of the matter was to do with entering OZ waters as a foreigner and the problems you would face if you didn't adhere to the rules for arriving in OZ.

Granted things might be getting a bit out of hand,over zealous people with more uniform than brain,but you wern't entering OZ waters,you were allready there.It does sound a bit extream in your case,granted,but ya wern't hauled of to court.Nothing to hide,nothing to fear.

Hey,Bob might be a great bloke,I don't know.I just hate the fact that everytime someone says"I'm thinking of comming to OZ"That some dim whit refers them to the TCP article,which emplies that our customs are "Jackboot nazis".Who gave then that heading,not the sailors that youve mentioned.If it truly was that way then it would be all over the web and being voiced a lot more.So you know Bob,that really isn't a reconmendation to anything,so how many times have you been done over by customs and hauled of to court.Mudnut.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21   #29

Mudnut, while you keep bending over and taking it with a smile, being a good little citizen, the rule's will keep changing making it harder and harder for people to get out and enjoy Australia.

Yeah, I know, it doesnt affect you, but it does other's, and it will only get worse if we pretend it's all good.

This is one of the many rules brought in by some wanker with a red tie in an office somwhere that does'nt know what a boat is.

These rules are making it increasingly dificult, and pretty soon, you may not even be able to go out on your boat if thing's keep going like they are.

(get down of soapbox, take a deep breath, grumble grumble)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I see some here think they can give a week or two's notice before comming in and it is all good.

EG: fax or email from New Cal before you leave.

The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival. Penalties may apply for failure to do so.

I'm confused

To me this read's you have to do it while on passage some time between 0 and 96 hour's before arrival.

Is this their way of trapping people?

Is it a minimum of 96 hour's notice or no more than 96 hours notice?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Why is it they don't seem to Patrol Northern waters.

In the 3 month's I was sailing North of Townsville, I never saw a custom's plane, or boat, yet was buzzed 4 times at mast height between Fraser Island and the Whitsunday's, nearly having a heart attack on one occasion as they came up from behind.

At Pancake creek we copped the third degree from the crew in the heavily silenced 21 ft inflateable, as did other's trying to enjoy the sunset and a few ales.

In the Whitsunday's I had a boat alongside and copped the third degree, and again at Magnetic Island.

Why these areas, they are not where the drug's terrorist's and illegal imigrants come in?

Pick on the trouble maker's, not the few trying to escape from the Draconian law's of today.

P.S For mudnut's benefit I won't make mention of dusting of my yellow star to wear........................oop's sorry.

Dave
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It is clearly a minimum of 96 hour's notice.
“The Master of a vessel arriving in Australia is required by law to give notice of impending arrival not later than 96 hours before arrival.” means at least 96 hours prior to arrival (96 to infinite ), and would allow an earlier notification (5, 6, or more days).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, New Zealand

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: