Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 15:12   #61

Re: Sailing through Foreign Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism

Still, the thread originally talks about Foreign Waters, which I interpret as US waters, No?

So the question is rather: why should the US not have and execute the right to limit, stop or search boats in US territorial waters?

In my book they should have such right. I can't see why they should overuse it. They are not known for that.

Cheers,
b.
Quite right!

I have found the US Authorities to be both courteous and helpful. Obviously on occasion, one can be having a bad day I suppose.

As I am shortly to set off down the US East Coast, at 5 to 10 miles out from shore, the USCG is more than welcome to have a chat with me any time they like, and if one of them is having a bad day, I will be able to offer them a cup of tea and probably a selection of biscuits.

More than likely they will be very good company.

I have made a point, despite being under a foreign flag, of having all the USCG necessaries on board (even adding a couple of extra new fire extinguishers yesterday - a great deal at Walmart . .).

It's not hard to show willing, and they have an important job to do.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 20:47   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Just out of curiosity, are there a lot of U.S. citizens going to Canada for healthcare? Reason I ask is my wife works in health care, in admin, and her job is insurance verification. She tells me she calls Canada a lot getting authorizations. (i.e.. "we promise to pay")
Not that I am aware of other than if they are coming up as tourists and their travel health insurance kicks in for a need. It would be the same as the travel health insurance I carry when I spend 6 months in the States each year. Costs me about $1000/year, but with your crazy, crazy high bills, it would be stupid not getting it.

I have heard that the so called medical tourism trade into Mexico and Guatemala is thriving. Especially dentistry in places like Nogales. I know many people here from Canada that go there because of the huge, huge savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Its the other way around. Canadians get tired of waiting years for surgery so come to the US to have it done.
Anecdotal individual cases do not a trend make. In fact, I needed a procedure done last February while I was in the States, which I knew was not covered by my travel health insurance. First of all, it would have cost me between $2,500 and $3,500 (no one would give an exact figure), and the waiting time was LONGER than back in Canada. It was a no brainer to spend the $418 return flight and pay nothing. Six weeks wait in Canada, 3 months in the US.
Old 19-06-2016, 21:24   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Getting back to the query of w hy the OP might not want to visit the states...

One thought that came to mind is that he has a felony conviction in his past, and that this precludes getting a visa for the US. I know that it works the other way around.

Jim
Old 19-06-2016, 22:05   #64

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Jim, you and I know one Canadian Cruiser who had a marijuana possession bust in Canada when he was 16. The Canadians cleared his record when he was older, but its still on the books in the US, causing him no end of hassles when flying through the US. If I were him, I'd keep at least 15 miles off the coast and give the US a pass.

I once cleared out of Mexico at Huatulco for Costa Rica. I stayed in Mexican waters through the Gulf of Tehuantepec, and got stopped at the border off Puerto Madero. The Mexican Navy boarded us, checked out papers, and let us go. Five minutes later they came racing back--they had left their handheld VHF in our cockpit. We then stayed 15 miles offshore past Guatemala, El Salvadore, and Honduras, which I had heard were boarding and shaking down boats passing through their territorial waters. Nicaragua was in the midst of a civil war, but the Papagayo winds trumped that, so we kept in 60 feet of water all the way to the Costa Rica border.

While in Costa Rica, we talked to New Zealand sailboat which the US Coast Guard had attempted to board in international waters off Mexico. They didn't give their permission, and evidently neither did their embassy, so the CG followed them for 8 hours and gave up.

Another time on a Baja Bash I heard a VHF conversation between a ship and the USCG. He was loudly protesting that he was a Panama registered vessel in international waters, but the CG stopped him and boarded him anyway--probably on a drug tipoff.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 22:37   #65

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I lived in the Cayman Islands for 10 years. About 5-6 years back the USCG boarded and took control of the REGULAR "Dirt Ship" the boat that brings aggregate to the islands.
Dock talk, says the USCG suspected drug trafficking. The US government paid to unload the vessel.....nothing found.
I can't think of a better way to handle the cost of off loading your cargo
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 15:55   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
3 months in the US.
I apologize for what I am about to say, because I don't want to call you a liar, BUT, you need to remember my wife is in the medical field. I do not believe you.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 16:07   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
I apologize for what I am about to say, because I don't want to call you a liar, BUT, you need to remember my wife is in the medical field. I do not believe you.
Perhaps in her part of the States that is the case, not where I winter, and not with the one's I contacted.

I was surprised as I did not expect that to be the case.
Old 22-06-2016, 16:12   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Folks, let's back off. The original question was whether he would have to check in with the US if he went straight from Canada to Mexico without stopping and my answer "nope" still stands. That's not a question regarding our relative health delivery systems, interesting as that question is. Let's stick to questions of cruising in a cruiser's forum.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 16:19   #69

Nothing heard from the OP who still has had one post.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 16:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
If "foreigners" aren't insured, we tend to treat them first, ask questions later. Who knows what amount of bux we never collect for treatment in our Emergency Rooms :-)
This was not my experience a few years ago. I had a TIA and went to the emergency room in Duncan on Vancouver Island. Great treatment, very prompt, wonderful folks.

I was insured in the US, they didn't pay, cost me $5K.

I now get supplemental travel insurance when I visit. Of course, been there half a dozen times since, no issues. That's better than more medical issues.

But what you said was not my experience.

Maybe I shouldn't have had any insurance!

Can you help me get my $$ back?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:00   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Not that I am aware of other than if they are coming up as tourists and their travel health insurance kicks in for a need. It would be the same as the travel health insurance I carry when I spend 6 months in the States each year. Costs me about $1000/year, but with your crazy, crazy high bills, it would be stupid not getting it.

I have heard that the so called medical tourism trade into Mexico and Guatemala is thriving. Especially dentistry in places like Nogales. I know many people here from Canada that go there because of the huge, huge savings.

Anecdotal individual cases do not a trend make. In fact, I needed a procedure done last February while I was in the States, which I knew was not covered by my travel health insurance. First of all, it would have cost me between $2,500 and $3,500 (no one would give an exact figure), and the waiting time was LONGER than back in Canada. It was a no brainer to spend the $418 return flight and pay nothing. Six weeks wait in Canada, 3 months in the US.
Not sure just anecdotal cases. When i was interning at Mass General, we had many Canadians and British patients who decided not to wait for "elective" surgery in their home countries, but come to us where we could operate quickly. Was not privy to who paid what, but did get the impression that "elective" surgeries in both countries were placed in the back of the queue; sometimes for many many months.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:26   #72

Quote: "But what you said was not my experience."

Yes, of course it was :-) You got treated, you say, by wonderful folks. Chop-chop. That's what I'd expect. That came first - then the questions came: "Was the patient insured?". Apparently you were not - for whatever reason, but nothing to do with our system. Then the answer to that question came: "No, he was not". And then the only sensible response to that: "Lets ding the bugger!"

Our system is a "womb-to-tomb" welfare system - not a charity ;-)

In '78 MySaintedMother got off the plane ex Copenhagen. She was clearly unable to see. I whipped her into the offices of only one of six ophthalmologists in the world that at that time (so it was said) was able to re-attach a detached retina successfully. Half an hour later she was on a gurney. Three hours later she had been operated upon, a week later she was watching telly and a week after that reading the newspaper headlines, if not the 12pt type. Swore forever after that if she ever got sick, she'd come to Vancouver (from Denmark!) to get sick :-)

I sweated as I signed on the dotted line for an operation I was told would cost 60 grand. What the heck - taking a bath ain't so bad when it's for Mom's sake.

Claim went in to the underwriters in Copenhagen. Two weeks later VGH had their money, copy of the bank draft to me!

Five years ago a neighbour wouldn't admit to be in the middle of a heart attach. Contrary to garden-variety advice I whipped him into the CGH 20 miles distant and told the triage nurse "We have a heart attack happening here". "Right", said she - "here's the gurney". They whipped him into the Cardiac Ward and did their thing. Lost him five times that night and brought him back again. He was home a week later and was doing ducky for about 15 months. Then he moved the lawn at his property in Bellingham WA. And had a heart attack. And he never came home!

Of COURSE "elective" stuff is shunted down to the enda the line. All you acolytes of the Chicago School of Economics know jolly well that the way you prioritize the claims on a scarce resource is by doing it via people's pocketbooks, i.e. making access to the resource PRICEY. And the time-honoured device of trying people's patience.

I, meself, don't have a problem with American doctors making money off people whose hobby is hypochondria :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 04:32   #73

FWIW, in America, emergency rooms in hospitals must admit whomever shows up and operate on them regardless of insurance. Its part of the requirement for getting the feds to pay most of the costs of having an emergency room in a hospital. Plus public hospitals must also accept whomever has an emergency regardless of ability to pay. Not sure where Tpieds gets his historical information from, but its not from reality.
Old 23-06-2016, 05:08   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
FWIW, in America, emergency rooms in hospitals must admit whomever shows up and operate on them regardless of insurance. Its part of the requirement for getting the feds to pay most of the costs of having an emergency room in a hospital. Plus public hospitals must also accept whomever has an emergency regardless of ability to pay. Not sure where Tpieds gets his historical information from, but its not from reality.
Actually.. the wording is "stabilise" the patient. This is a long way in practice to giving a full service.

jes another doc administrator....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:21   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Actually.. the wording is "stabilise" the patient. This is a long way in practice to giving a full service.

jes another doc administrator....
Not just stabilizing, but going well beyond that if the patient can not function without further procedures. GSW need to be cleaned, closed, dressed; heart attacks need to be dealt with. Torn aorta needs to be closed up. Smashed pelvic bone needs to be corrected. So once someone enters the emergency room they might wind up getting open heart surgery, a titanium plate to hold their bones together, and so on. Easily a half to a million dollars can be spent on one person in a severe accident. Insurance is nice, but is not essential for getting these procedures done.

Everyone else pays for the person who can not pay. Again that is coming via the emergency room. If an uninsured person comes into a hospital through the front door without insurance, they are likely to be sent on their way; or pay for any health services up front.

BTW, the admitting physician can declare an injury or illness not an emergency issue; refuse admission due to already overloaded er, or have the person transferred to a public hospital.

Tags
sail, sailing, water