Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 06:21   #16

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Sure. When I need to reef I usually just drop the main entirely & sail jib 'n' jigger (jib and mizzen). The boat balances quite nicely. Many people who sail a yawl or ketch do this.
Old 17-06-2013, 06:24   #17

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Sailing the Jib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I did in my first post, at around 15 degrees of heel. My boat likes to sail at no more than somewhere between 20-25 degrees of heel with main and jib up, then develops lots of weather helm with more heel.

Point I'm trying to make is different boats are different.
Okay, understand. I'm taking basics. You will definitely be able to get away with a little more with a 40' boat.

I just remembered seeing the guy going upwind in Pensacola on a 25' sailboat with his jib alone. Then he started his engine! (and left the jib up. Awesome stuff)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:24   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Sailimg the Jib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Also, if the weather helm is too strong, you can ease the sheet on the main. Just remember, you can steer the boat with the sails if it isn't to crazy out there which takes most of the load off the rudders. Some guys call it balancing the helm.
You can't if the racing skipper says years of data say the boat is fast this way and we will be sailing the boat with that much weather helm. Some boats lose a lot of speed with a balanced helm.

I have a tiller, it's easy for me to feel weather helm, and I trim for not having excessive helm. On my boat I can lose nearly a half knot with excessive helm when I'm close hauled. On the other hand on a reach it doesn't seem to matter how much helm I have, more sail, more helm means more speed. Since I'm usually in cruising mode I don't sail it that way.

I have another gage, my tiller is the right length that for the angles of interest, the tip of the tiller moves 1 inch for 1 degree.
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:26   #19

Re: Sailing the Jib...

Try this next time, center your rudder and lock it in. Now drive the boat with the sails and you will see my point. Btw, I'm talkin' sloop rigged boats to simplify matters.
Old 17-06-2013, 06:34   #20

Re: Sailimg the Jib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You can't if the racing skipper says years of data say the boat is fast this way and we will be sailing the boat with that much weather helm. Some boats lose a lot of speed with a balanced helm.
Maybe racing skipper needs to readjust his mast rake.........

Plus I didn't realize we were talking racing. You will put up with tons of weather helm to get to the upwind mark then you can bring your mast forward and balance out if you have an adjustable stay.

Tags
jib, sailing