Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33   #1

Boat: Lafitte 44
Sailing Single Parented

In a couple of years I am hoping ot be able to pull the trigger. I may be a single parent at the time.. My daughter will be about 11 or so. I understand all the legal issues, and that is NOT what this thread is for, rather the trials and tribulations of being a single parent, on a boat. Any one who has had personal experience as one, or other valuable input I would love to hear from you. As I stated my planned departure date is Post Atlantic Hurricane season, 2015 so I have some time to figure all this out.
At 11 she should be able to do some things aboard just as she would have certain responsibilites onland. But I would not expect her to pull a 02:00-0600 watch by herself. So in that respect I would feel a bit like a singlehanded cruiser.
Fire away!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Sailing Single Parented

I single handed with my son starting when he was 18 months old. He is now 25 and will tell you that to this day it was some of the greatest experiences of his life. My constant concern and thoughts revolved around his safety, especially since he had no fear of the boat or the water. Until he was 15 he never went on deck without a floatation vest and until he was 16 when we were under way. We spent some time finding one that fit well and he was comfortable wearing. Childproofing the boat was also some work, Including netting around the lifelines and a tether just for him when we were under way. The tether limited his ability to move forward out of the cockpit, even at age 10 or 11. It was always safety first. As he got older he took over the helm for periods of time, daylight only, and the autopilot did a lot of steering. He was always involved in the navigation process, even at a young age. He had specific areas of the boat to take care of and daily chores to do. We always had time set aside each day to study for school and time to study and research the places we visited. Docking and anchoring, he usually stayed below until the boat was secure, until he was about 12. We know many, many cruisers with children of all ages and they are very happy, well developed children. I hope some of this helps. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06   #3

Boat: too many
Re: Sailing Single Parented

You might want to search out the member "atoll", he did it in the most earthy way. At age 11, should be no problem standing a modified watch that will fit her sleep schedule. I have yet to meet an adult that was raised as a cruising kid, that wasn't a confident, worldly, and happy person. It is grand that you will unplug from the materialistic life and share this with your daughter. I'm guessing your going to use Calvert for school?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing