Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 03:25   #1

Sailing rules in BVI are applicable?

We are currently experiencing sailing in the Caribbean for the first time. Absolutely wonderful in all ways.
But it seems that no one is aware of any sailing rules and who should give way. Back in Sweden where I learned to sail it is often very tight and rarely there are any doubts. Here it seems like the Wild West, especially with the US flagged boats.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:53   #2

Re: Sailing rules in BVI are applicable?

Welcome to the Caribbean! A lot of sail boats here are bare boat chartered some with little practice in navigation rules. Charter boats have many flags depending on the owner. Charter boats in the region also hail from USVI just 5 miles away. A charterer might get a quick run down from the charter company or read it in a book, but it is not something they do very often, maybe once a year for a week - unlike driving a car. We stay clear of all boats irrespective of flag or charter logo. We never assume that because a yacht has a Swedish flag (for example) that they know the rules - maybe they do maybe not. Most experienced captains hail on VHF 16 and ask for the other yachts intentions if it looks a bit tricky in restricted waters. Also stay clear of all local commercial boats they rarely give way to sail and sometimes do not even wear navigation lights. In summary keep clear of every one and make your direction changes really obvious - do not be too subtle and never assume the other party has the same knowledge as you.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:57   #3

There are many charterers and sailors fairly new to sailing in the BVIs (which is why they choose to go there - we used to call it "push button sailing"). That's generally the reason for the lack of knowledge. (A separate issue but IMHO, equally as likely - as you'll see on this forum, many, many people watching You Tube videos then just buying boats to sell up and sail away.)

Those are overview observations I've had as a former BVI Charter skipper. Now that you've identified this tendency, I expect you're being proactively defensive, which is the way to make the best of a bad situation - keeping a sharp lookout and avoid, avoid, avoid.

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:02   #4

Great advices. You are right, no point of risking anything just to prove your rights
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:07   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

BVI sailing has been chaotic since they started being a popular charter base decades ago. Spend some time by the docks or nearby mooring fiends if you like to see demolition derby with boats. It’s scary.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:33   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Great advices. You are right, no point of risking anything just to prove your rights
That works for almost everything in life!

Thankfully, there are very few narrow passage in the BVI, so you won't have any problem avoiding those who are "wrong."

Have fun.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:19   #7

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

The popular BVI anchorage (really mooring fields) can provide some real entertainment. You may need to get on a can by 1:00 PM to actually score a can, but mix up some cold beverages of choice and watch the charter boat follies. We learned to always leave a person aboard to fend off errant boats, after honking of the horn failed to get their attention, whenever we were on a mooring. Too many out-of-control, heavy throttle, distracted charter skippers.

The narrow passages on the north side of Tortola and the area around Sopers Hole (West End) often present navigation "challenges" to the skipper. Limited visibility, due to the mountainous shoreline, requires some interesting course corrections by approaching vessels if one of the skippers is distracted by his electronics or crew.

A good rule of thumb is if you can see the BVI inter-island ferries, avoid them early. You only think you have the right of way. You really don't want to end up in a local court, against a locally owned ferry service.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:23   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Actually that's against the Colreg rules.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:00   #9

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Assume eveyone is a nutter , has no clue. and its a free for all
Avoid all boats , Anchor at the Back and wear ear plugs
Also make sure your Insurance is up to date and you have big fenders
So whats to problem
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Actually that's against the Colreg rules.
Not if you alter course early enough that there is never any conflict. And not if you alter course after concluding that the other boat is not going to (which, probably 90% of the time, is the case).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:10   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not if you alter course early enough that there is never any conflict. And not if you alter course after concluding that the other boat is not going to (which, probably 90% of the time, is the case).
Doing those actions meets the rules, risking collision as stated by the poster doesn't.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:14   #12

Welcome to the caribbean.

Everything is Cool regs man.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:58   #13

I wonder what is going on with some of the posters. I have sailed in the Bahamas for the last three winters, full time.

Just to set the stage, I am a sailing rules nazi. I even use an anchor ball.

I can't think of a single time that I was involved in a close-quarters situation, much less one that caused me to speculate about the parentage of the other skipper.

I always taught my students that the Navigation Rules only come into play when there is a "risk of collision" and the best way by far to avoid any misunderstanding of the rules is to prevent the risk of collision ever developing. Usually, a tiny course change when the other boat is 2 miles away avoids the whole issue.

The people I find who complain most about other skippers are those who seem content to FORCE the issue by standing-on into a situation that they could have avoided in the first place. That might be "following the rules" but it is not good seamanship.

Now to be fair, our itinerary in the islands is designed to avoid anyplace there are large numbers of boats gathered into one place. We do everything we can to avoid places like Nassau, Freeport, Marsh Harbour and (especially!) Georgetown.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 14:31   #14

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Yep, most times thinking ahead, and using situational awareness, and standing attentive watches, as well as adhering to the rules of the road, if possible, works. But not to a point of collision. Your responsibility is to avoid a collision

Sailing, we might make and ample and early move or even tack early. Sometimes, I will go up to the Bow and use a hand signal as to our intention of holding course, or falling off to their stern, if we are on a port tack. They know , that we know the rules of the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last trip to the BVI, few months before Irma, we were moored in Machineel Bay, Cooper Island. We had planned to drop off in about an hour and SAIL up to Leverick Bay, VG.

Shouts, and engines roaring. Look out ! Large cat , starboard quarter !

In comes a large Catamaran, with about 12 people on board. They blast in with a wake between the moored boats and roar up to an open mooring can forward of our vessel . The skipper slams in all astern, the cat surges and starts backing toward us.

He , Never looked around at any time. Then it is all ahead full, and bounds up , charging the mooring again. over shoots and the fellow with the boat hook drops the mooring line and the boat hook back into the water. He had no choice. He would have been pulled overboard.

The cat is now, temporarily all stopped. An eldery grand ma, reaches over the port quarter and grabs the boat hook, frees it from the mooring line and brings it on board. She was the only one on that was alert.

The helmsman, then slams the throttles all astern again, heading toward us. I am up at the bow releasing our double bridles to get of there. Erica is backing us out of the path of the full astern fast approaching catamaran.

As we back away from our mooring can, ( ball ), the cat is once again all ahead full roaring toward their selected mooring can. Then again all astern.

Later that day, up in leverick, all of the other vessels , cat or mono, did great jobs with their mooring pick ups. Very nice .

So for the OP, practice your good seamanship, sail well, stand watch, and just
keep yourself out of extremis by early and ample course changes if necessary.

For the other vessels out there, including the ferrys, well, don't run into them .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 16:50   #15
Marine Service Provider

This is why most of us charter boat owners in the Caribbean carry lots of insurance.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, rule, sail, sailing