Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2015, 11:11   #16
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Sailing presentation and statistics on women sailboat owners

Perhaps another female sailing aspect to research on as an inspiration are the growing number of excellent woman captains in the Superyacht industry.

Like most people who achieve success as a minority.....they are very good

Old 21-08-2015, 11:26   #17

I have owned 2 sailboats solo, inc. my current one, and co-owned 3 other boats. I don't know about actual ownership, but I see approx 50% boats being used (vs non-moving liveaboards) operated solely by men, another 40% operated by couples and approx. 10% operated solely by women.
When I bought my first sailboat from another woman, she told me that the notion that boats need to be operated hierarchically is nonsense, she has crewed on many a boat w/females only who operated cooperatively. I have since found this to be true, and have never been yelled at by another woman on a boat. I have had men yell at me on my boat - go figure. This issue factored heavily in my recent divorce.
So, guys - we'd love to go sailing with you, but not if you're going to boss/blame/yell.

Old 21-08-2015, 12:01   #18

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

I have a LOT of respect for skilled women sailors.

In fact, one of the very best sailing instructors I met was a young woman. She was highly skilled, full of confidence (rightly so), inspirational to her students, and a very good instructor (better than any other I had).

One of the contemporary sailors I most admire is a woman : Samantha (Sam) Davies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Davies

The thing that gets me is the sexism and discrimination I see in sailing.

I think there should be NO PLACE for sexism or discrimination in sailing.

To the original question of statistics:

IF I were you, I would contact the largest boat insurers (BoatUS, Pantaenius, GEICO) . Explain your presentation and ask them for some of their statistics. They should know the percentages of female to male boat owners they cover with insurance, and almost every boat is insured. So, I think they could provide a very large sample to you.

Beth Evans (a CF Member and wife of Evans Starzinger, another CF member) works for BoatUS. Perhaps you could give her a shout if you don't get an answer directly.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 13:18   #19

Boat: Sabreline 36 Fast Trawler
Send a message via AIM to RonT

I recommend looking at www.cruisingclub.org at their safety for cruising couples, including Suddenly Alone program. It's theme is partnership.
Old 21-08-2015, 13:30   #20

Boat: 72 Coronado 35 Ketch

You can state whatever percentages you'd like to use. However, I'd be careful to explain they are just guesses based upon the various sources you draw your data from.
Old 21-08-2015, 13:49   #21

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I wish I was in Cali to help you inspire women. I'm 72 and just bought my own boat. I just wish more women weren't such scaredy cats, they miss out on soooo much in life. Best wishes for a successful presentation!
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 14:14   #22

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

You might want to look into the sailors from the SCA team, as well.

In our marina, there are several women who own, and liveaboard alone, their sailboats. There is one woman who is probably in her sixties who almost always has a boatload of women her own age when she goes out.
Old 21-08-2015, 14:25   #23

I see Steady Hand already beat me to it, but I also suggest checking with BoatUS and other insurers to see if they would have some statistics that they would share with you. Other sources of statistics could potentially be the people running the So Cal Women’s Sailing Convention. West Marine has its membership program and that could also be a data source, if they were willing to share some stats.

More so than ownership, I think primary skipper/operator is the more relevant measure. May be difficult to tease that info out in real life, though.

Based on my unscientific observations, the majority (>60%) of boats in my marina are “man boats,” another 20-30% are “couple boats” where the female partner participates in some way, and around 10% where the female partner is capable of skippering on her own. I know of only 4 out of something like 200 boats at my marina that are primarily operated by women, including my own. So, I would agree with other posters that co-ownership is likely higher than 15% and solely female owned/operated is likely much, much lower. And I am fortunate to live in SoCal, where there is quite a bit of support for women sailors, but a solely female operated boats are still very rare.

As for misogyny, I have yet to encounter any hostility directed at female sailors. Pretty much all the men who I interact with at my club and marina have been warm and welcoming and not condescending. Though, I do find it odd that some men can’t seem to resist shouting something at boats that have an all-female crew. The comments can be complimentary or critical, but there is inevitably some guy who feels the need to interject his opinion when he doesn’t see male crew on the boat. This just doesn’t happen when sailing with a mixed crew. My suggestion for men who would like to interact with female-crewed boats underway is to keep it to a smile and friendly wave, unless there is a really good reason to say something else.
Old 21-08-2015, 15:37   #24

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Gamyun, certainly, having some numbers at hand can be a nice thing.

But, is it really important what was in the past?

If I got that right you are preparing kind of a presentation for people from both genders about sailing, females sailing, with the intention and hope of giving more confidence to female sailors.

This is not a business-presentation (or at least I didn't have the impression that it would be) where numbers, statistics and diagrams are expected and wanted. People will join this evening in their own free time and most of them will quickly get pretty bored with diagrams and statistics, and I'm sure this is not what they came for. You will be much more successful if you manage to capture them with interesting stories about female sailors, chuck some funny events in and give them a nice evening they will never ever forget. Numbers are forgotten the moment you mentioned them.

We all know that there is only a few real female sailors around, but they do exist. The trouble is, to be a real sailor with your own boat, you need to know about electrics, engines, plumbing, mechanics, woodwork, fibreglass (if your boat is fibreglass) or steel including welding, you need to know about rigs and rigging, and, of course get a bit of a clue about sailing and the rest of it. Unless of course, if you've got a big briefcase and carry several mechanics permanently on board. Which most of us can't afford.

Fortunately a big change is in progress, and more and more females get the crack of mechanics etc. and start to be interested in the subject. Get these girls interested in sailing (the adventure-part might be there already) and you won't be able to stop them any more. Tell them about the great life out there and you won't only get the girls but also the beginner-boys motivated.

Life is not about statistics. Life is out there, we only have to take the opportunity and do it!

Cheers and good luck with your evening
Dody

PS: I am female, I am a singlehanded sailor, I love and own my boat, I know about everything on my boat and can fix whatever is needed. Now. It was not like that in the beginning. It was a long long process and after 19 years together I'm still learning every single day. But: everybody can do this. There is no difference if male or female as long as your heart is in it
Old 21-08-2015, 16:10   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We all know that there is only a few real female sailors around, but they do exist. The trouble is, to be a real sailor with your own boat, you need to know about electrics, engines, plumbing, mechanics, woodwork, fibreglass (if your boat is fibreglass) or steel including welding, you need to know about rigs and rigging, and, of course get a bit of a clue about sailing and the rest of it. Unless of course, if you've got a big briefcase and carry several mechanics permanently on board. Which most of us can't afford.
Sadly, damn few sailors of either gender meet this rigorous definition. What you describe is not required to be a typical blat owner/operator. Sure, it is good to have all those skill sets and knowledge, but not a necessity. A few hours spent reading posts by boat owners here on CF will demonstrate this fact!

Over our years of cruising we've met a few really outstanding solo female cruisers. They had my admiration both as sailors and as people who were in control of their lives. We've met far more cruising couples where the tasks and responsibilities were shared with little account of gender, and those women also earned my respect.

Somewhere in the distant past I read of a women's group whose motto was "hook, cook, swab and steer". I could never tell from what I read whether this was said sarcastically, with reference to what their men expected of them, or what they wanted to see as their appropriate roles. Very confusing to a mere male!!

At any rate, Ann and I always are interested in the salty ladies that we meet. I hope that your presentation encourages a few more to join us.

Jim
Old 21-08-2015, 16:34   #26

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hopefully these will be of some help.

First, the blog of two young ladies that completed the Great Loop of the US:

KATIE & JESSIE on a boat | aboard lovely Louise…

Secondly, a South African Lady sailing alone on a wooden junk-rigged boat; this one has Heart!

Speedwell of Hong Kong

Thirdly, a young couple having a ball on their Westsail 32 (members here at CF, I believe):

Sundowner Sails Again | No Longer Lubbers

And finally, a young Lady (since married) that also braved the solo life of simplicity afloat:

Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happiness

Further, there is Zeehag here on CF also pursuing the solo life afloat, and the many Husband-Wife teams.

Personally, I cling to the old meaning of "discrimination": from the latin discriminare, meaning "to distinguish between". This allows the merit of each to shine through in its context, complimentary in the human duet to the other. To twist this into absolute equality is to pervert nature and to do gross injustice to both to the hurt of all. We are equal in status yet different in function; both are needed so that the parts find their natural station.
Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!

And, Man is Man and Woman also; and thank God the twain do meet;
From beginning to end, fit for each other, great bliss when in pure love they greet!
But there is neither colour nor culture, learning, nor rich nor poor;
When Man and Woman stand side by side, this union through life's storms, shan't fail to reach the shore!
First verse copyright Kipling; the second is mine.
Old 21-08-2015, 16:56   #27

One of the more common reasons cited for an inexperienced female partner to learn to skipper a boat is so that she can handle it in an emergency. On the surface this seems reasonable, but in reality it often means that she's learning what to do in an emergency before she sails for experience or fun.
Talk about pressure! I watched a woman try to do MOB drills before she was comfortable even steering a boat. Fear-based chaos ensued. I would advise your club to learn first to enjoy handling a boat, w/o the terrifying weight of being the emergency back-up.
Another daunting issue for many women is boat maintenance. You don't have to be a diesel mechanic to sail a boat. First learn to run a boat - you can work on the mechanics later. That said, do eventually learn as much about boat-fixing as you can. It will vastly improve both your sailing and your self-confidence. Actually fixing things on your own is this big rush, even if - especially if - you are clumsy with tools and don't really know what you're doing. The first time I replaced my salt-water impeller I did a Tarzan yodel on my deck.
Try it. Next thing you know you'll be buying your very own socket wrench set.
Old 21-08-2015, 17:06   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Just from what I see in sailing on the bay and Delta, woman owned and or captained boats are probably more in the 5 ish percent range. Maybe even less. Of course women are aboard as partners on many boats and that is probably 25%-40% or more, but some of those would be more passenger then crew.

But I think the number of women that actually own and sail their own boat is a pretty small number. I have seen other women sailed boats in the bay. Saw one yesterday.

BTW, I would be one of the women owner/sailors who has rebuild her own marine diesel. I also do my electrical, plumbing and other things.. I sailed across San Pablo today. Lovely 20-25 knots O wind.... Typical in other words.
Old 21-08-2015, 18:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In terms of advising women to become confident and competent in learning to sail, I would advise that they take their basic course separately from their male partner.
I found that they performed much better with strangers as their support crew than with their husband...especially if older
Actually, my wife taught me my basic course.

We weren't married then. I just took the class cause I thought she was hot.

We've now been married a long time and we own our own sailboat. I suppose legally it is a family asset, but as far as I'm concerned it is definitely her boat.
Old 21-08-2015, 18:49   #30

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hmmm, that's a tactic I hadn't considered....must suggest it in the SSSSM thread.

Tags
men, sail, sailboat, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: