Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26   #1

Sailing Pacific Side of Mexico - Right Time ?

I'm thinking of making my way to the Baja peninsula soon by land. From there it would seem like fun to get aboard a boat heading to Hawaii, the Galapagos or South America. Is March or April the right time of year, are boats cruising then?
kenflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:33   #2

Re: sailing pacific side of Mexico, right time?

June through November has cyclones, going all the way down to Panama. Mexico in particular can be pretty nasty around then. These guys have put together some great guidebooks for a few bucks you can download as PDF's. Well worth the money if you're thinking about anything in Central/South America on the Pacific side.

Guide Books -- Cruising Guide Books to Central America
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:05   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cyclonic storms form at the latitude of tehuantepec and are fed by the tehuantipeckers..go south of there for no more named storms. boats and sailors are sailing in mexico in april and march.. the big named storms begin forming in late june, NORMALLY, but we havent had normal in loong time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 17:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cyclonic storms form at the latitude of tehuantepec and are fed by the tehuantipeckers..go south of there for no more named storms. boats and sailors are sailing in mexico in april and march.. the big named storms begin forming in late june, NORMALLY, but we havent had normal in loong time.
In 2008 tropical storm Alma smashed up Costa Rica and Nicaragua on the Pacific side (in May). Caused tens of millions in damages and killed maybe a dozen people.

I had a friend who almost lost his boat in that thing.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:59   #5

2008 and usual are two different things. track patterns, as have i, and sail when YOU wish to sail, as do i.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:50   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenflannery View Post
I'm thinking of making my way to the Baja peninsula soon by land. From there it would seem like fun to get aboard a boat heading to Hawaii, the Galapagos or South America. Is March or April the right time of year, are boats cruising then?
Club Cruceros located in the Marina de La Paz is a good place to start getting info. Most people heading across usually leave from further south. Look at the Puddle Jump website Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 13:05   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Most boats will be jumping off from farther south than Baja. But yes, March and April are usually ideal.
Old 06-02-2012, 13:09   #8

the puddle jump rally was launched a bit ago--the meeting was in december. ye wont die if you leave later than the rally. unless ye dont check your weather.
also--banderas bay area is good for finding rides south on boats..... good luck and have fun!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
In 2008 tropical storm Alma smashed up Costa Rica and Nicaragua on the Pacific side (in May). Caused tens of millions in damages and killed maybe a dozen people.

I had a friend who almost lost his boat in that thing.

That was a 1 in a million they USUALLY cross just above the Yucatan, or have turned north by then.

Even more unusual is they USUALLY, (theres that word again), form and go straight across the Pacific for a while before turning north. Going backwards takes a few weird steering winds.

If you go for NEVER a hurricane, there is not even 1 square inch on this planet that has "NEVER" had hurricane force winds.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:22   #10

Re: Sailing pacific side of Mexico - right time ?

Thanks for all the info all. I'll poke around Baja, then try jumping to the otherside and south as suggested if that doesn't work, if anyone is in the area or knows people who are that are interested, let me know, May is also good for me.
kenflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 22:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
That was a 1 in a million they USUALLY cross just above the Yucatan, or have turned north by then.

Even more unusual is they USUALLY, (theres that word again), form and go straight across the Pacific for a while before turning north. Going backwards takes a few weird steering winds.

If you go for NEVER a hurricane, there is not even 1 square inch on this planet that has "NEVER" had hurricane force winds.
San Diego's last hurricane was in 1858, or 154 years ago. The one in Costa Rica was 3 years ago. Hurricane Gert hit the same area in 1993 and had basically the same profile, and Hurricane Cesar-Douglas did the same in 1999.

Every century or two is rare; every ten years or so is a 10% chance you'll catch one in any year. I'd mark that as "highly unlikely" but it's not like they're really that rare for walloping Costa Rica.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:50   #12

Re: Sailing pacific side of Mexico - right time ?

Quote:
Thanks for all the info all. I'll poke around Baja, then try jumping to the otherside and south as suggested if that doesn't work, if anyone is in the area or knows people who are that are interested, let me know, May is also good for me.
i am in la cruz for the time being.. when one is at the tehuantepec area, is a lot less wind in named storms, as that is the area in which MOST form , and then head to sea. the tehuantepeckers feed the cyclonic action, so is safer to hide there and still continue southward, should that be your plan. that is what most of the cruisers here do when they wish to sail south from here.
if you only get to mazatlan, the marina mazatlan is a good summering location. there has not been damage from storms in that marina for over 33 yrs.....

san diego has cold water and will not have a tropical storm. they may have subtropical and cold weather storms, but hurrycames???? they need water warmer than 60 degrees. san diego does NOT offer that.

Tags
Mexico, sailing, mexico