Re: Sailing Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
How much does a boat cost ?
Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

Old 20-06-2012, 18:54   #17

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

william bligh managed to sail an open jolly boat from somewhere around tonga to kupang in timor with too many people on board and hardly any stores - the boat is only as good as the skipper

Old 20-06-2012, 19:34   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
william bligh managed to sail an open jolly boat from somewhere around tonga to kupang in timor with too many people on board and hardly any stores - the boat is only as good as the skipper
While somewhat true, how many times have boats been found abandon by their captains in storms for the safety of the liferaft, only to be found later. in those cases, clearly the boat was better than the skipper.
Tom
Old 20-06-2012, 20:17   #19

Thanks for the reply; I explore all possible options in the last 5 years making plans, reading and research. I will sail from the East Coast to the Mediterranean Sea, Monte Negro Slovenia Croatia and back. I have in mind 32 'Dreadnaught Full Keel Double Ender or 30' Alberg. And I will sail without crew, and plans are to install about 40 hp diesel with 140 gallon tank, and 60 gallon water tank. Spare engine will be 2 cyl Kubota diesel light weight, which will run the hydraulics and controls for sailboat in the case I need help to navigate. Lifeboat 7 ' which is completely water seal (home-made). I have all the necessary navigation equipment including a reserve in case something breaks. Sailboat should be solid and Full Keel is required and must be. Speed ​​is not important to me looking sailboat that has solid stability. Everything is ready only to find a sailboat that will fulfill my requirements and modifications that I will do next year. Sailing Experience I've never been in the open ocean, and will try soon. After my years of reading and exploring help to hear someone's personal experiences.
Old 21-06-2012, 10:56   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkaca View Post
I have in mind 32 'Dreadnaught Full Keel Double Ender or 30' Alberg. And I will sail without crew, and plans are to install about 40 hp diesel with 140 gallon tank, and 60 gallon water tank. Spare engine will be 2 cyl Kubota diesel light weight, which will run the hydraulics and controls for sailboat in the case I need help to navigate.
140 gal of fuel?? You plan on motoring or sailing across the ocean??
Hydraulics?? All on a 30'?? If I was crossing the ocean, I would switch that to 140 of fresh water (2 separate tanks), and 60 gal fuel tank. Skip the hyrdraulics (extra weight and complexity you don't need) and finally add a Monitor windvane to steer the boat, and use human power for controls (skip electric/hydraulic winches, steering, etc).
Tom
Old 21-06-2012, 12:03   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah31

I bought a Pacific Seacraft Mariah31 for it's reputation in blue water.

bluewaterboats.org/pacific-seacraft-mariah-31/
Old 21-06-2012, 12:05   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Thanks for the reply; I explore all possible options in the last 5 years making plans, reading and research. I will sail from the East Coast to the Mediterranean Sea, Monte Negro Slovenia Croatia and back. I have in mind 32 'Dreadnaught Full Keel Double Ender or 30' Alberg. And I will sail without crew, and plans are to install about 40 hp diesel with 140 gallon tank, and 60 gallon water tank. Spare engine will be 2 cyl Kubota diesel light weight, which will run the hydraulics and controls for sailboat in the case I need help to navigate. Lifeboat 7 ' which is completely water seal (home-made). I have all the necessary navigation equipment including a reserve in case something breaks. Sailboat should be solid and Full Keel is required and must be. Speed ​​is not important to me looking sailboat that has solid stability. Everything is ready only to find a sailboat that will fulfill my requirements and modifications that I will do next year. Sailing Experience I've never been in the open ocean, and will try soon. After my years of reading and exploring help to hear someone's personal experiences.

30HP should be adequate for those boats.
You won't have room for a backup motor that big.
As TJ says 140g water, 60g fuel.
What do you need the hydraulics for?
Old 21-06-2012, 13:26   #23

All controls on sailboat will be based on the hydraulic and manual control. Bow and stern thruster, Steering
Kubota is very grateful for the little engine that does not require so much space Length (14.20) Width (15.91) Height (22.21) Weight (117.1) , with a double clutch when hydraulic is not in the use it is used for charging batteries and for other purposes.
Old 21-06-2012, 13:39   #24
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Speed ​​is not important to me ........
Well based on your posts you sure aren't going to have speed, and I bet you will grow to regret it!

You seem to already have set your mind to a boat design, and they are old designs!
Old 21-06-2012, 14:04   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
All controls on sailboat will be based on the hydraulic and manual control. Bow and stern thruster, Steering …
Kubota is very grateful for the little engine that does not require so much space Length (14.20) Width (15.91) Height (22.21) Weight (117.1) , with a double clutch when hydraulic is not in the use it is used for charging batteries and for other purposes.
A bow and stern thruster on a 32' boat? What for? That would be really, really unnecessary for a boat that size.
Old 21-06-2012, 14:23   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

If you put a 40 hp diesel with 140 gallons of fuel and all the associated hydraulic......................................... ..................never mind, if this isn't a TROLL I have no idea what is.
Old 25-06-2012, 14:51   #27

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If you put a 40 hp diesel with 140 gallons of fuel and all the associated hydraulic......................................... ..................never mind, if this isn't a TROLL I have no idea what is.

Sounds like a trawler guy. His next post will be what size of outriggers, and how much hydraulic power is needed for the active stabilizers, and the gyro, and how many kilowatts to run the home theater sytem with the Air conditioning system. It may not be a troll, just a different world.
Old 26-06-2012, 09:15   #28

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I don't get it.

You ask the most basic of questions that has no answer, and usually starts a thread that degrades into a bluewater shouting match.

In your responses, you're very specific about a boat in mind....destinations in mind...and have been researching for 5 years....yet, you still ask about a boat?

Seems to me you just want confirmation that

Quote:
I have in mind 32 'Dreadnaught Full Keel Double Ender or 30' Alberg.
will work.

Yes. Just fine. I'd worry more about you being ready. If you are ready, you won't be asking the boat question.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 12:13   #29
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A double ender is pita in the med.

Enkaca I suggest you build a lot more experience before looking for a boat.

Dave
Old 26-06-2012, 12:21   #30

Boat: Yachtcraft, Sloop, 34

Buy a copy of or check out from the library "Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" by Gregg Nestor. This is a good overview of seaworthy sailing craft in your size range.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: