Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 08:24   #61
Eternal Member

Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
The CG said that we cannot see their AIS on Marine Traffic because they are out of range. They boarded them yesterday & felt that their boat & experience was adequate to make the trip to Bermuda. I don't know anything more other than to say that the CG didn't seem overly concerned, to which I was greatly relieved.
Yeah, well... I don't believe the CG was "overly concerned" when the BOUNTY departed New London on her final voyage, either...

Or, RAW FAITH, for that matter...

Quote:

Raw Faith left Portland and somehow made it down to Massachusetts over the course of the summer. Last Saturday, with just two crew aboard, she left Salem bound for Bermuda. She had no auxiliary engine and minimal communications gear--just a handheld radio and an EPIRB, which was ignited two days later. The following day, December 7, McKay and his crew, who reported the boat was taking on water, were taken off by a Coast Guard helicopter. Raw Faith finally sank the next morning.

The Coast Guard deployed significant resources in saving McKay. There were two Falcon jet sorties and four helicopter sorties from Cape Cod, plus a C-130 plane that flew in from North Carolina, and the cutter Reliance, which steamed to the scene from Kittery, Maine. Normally a situation like this would warrant some grumbling about how maybe McKay should have to pay for being rescued from his own stupidity. But the fact that the Coast Guard has in fact been monitoring and, in effect, supervising his stupidity for years sort of stops them from bitching too much. It says something, however, of how tolerant they are that they didn't just seize the ship and chop it up for firewood in the first place.

http://www.wavetrain.net/news-a-view...a-mock-galleon
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:38   #62

Jon,

No, I hear you.... Just grasping for any reassurances, very few if any coming in.
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 08:41   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

To many 'Negative Vibes' man......!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:03   #64

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Looking at Passage Weather, they shouldn't have more than 40-50 kts wind, and 8-10meter sea's across there path to Bermuda. So, a walk in the park if its not worse than the forecast. (see wiki for facetious)
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 09:12   #65

News just in....

US Coast Guard rescues Australian boat
Old 14-02-2015, 09:23   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Wow... were they ever blown off course...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 11:38   #67

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Wow... were they ever blown off course...
The good news is that they now have a realistic shot at getting the boat to OZ before winter in the Southern Ocean.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:53   #68

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, guys, different boat!
Old 14-02-2015, 13:13   #69

Boat: Saga409 'SPARROW'

Just a few added thoughts... The CG really doesn't want to be in the business of not letting boats head off to sea. It raises many issues that they just don't want to get involved in.

They were making nine knts when the AIS went out of range just off of Block Island. The wind moderated last night and I can't imagine them averaging more than 6-7 knts for the past 24 hrs. It's 730 miles to Bermuda. They won't be getting to Bermuda before the storm. They are very unlikely to make the stream before things get ugly. Really ugly.

A friend took a look at their boat last Wed. They were a long way from being ready for sea.

It's very sad when, for whatever reason, people don't leave themselves with any margin for error- Lets wish them luck, they are going to need a lot of it
sparrow409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:26   #70

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Last night, we met up with a friend who works at the Newport West Marine. He is a very experienced sailor. Apparently, these guys have been making frequent trips to WM to outfit Sedona. He says they are good guys who seem to know what they're doing in terms of preparing the boat. His understanding was that they were heading for Bermuda. They apparently delayed their departure twice already because of the weather. He was shocked when I told him they had left yesterday. No way they are going to get across the Stream before the storm forms up.
There is little in stock at West Marine that would address my concerns about the fundamental integrity of the boat. Sure you can get safety gear, but this is a boat that hasn't been raced or been off shore in about 15 years.
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:40   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
There is little in stock at West Marine that would address my concerns about the fundamental integrity of the boat. Sure you can get safety gear, but this is a boat that hasn't been raced or been off shore in about 15 years.
I agree with you. As was my friend who, while impressed with the guys, couldn't believe that they had headed out yesterday. My only point was that they weren't complete newbies. (And, therefore, should have known better than to venture out into the storm that was clearly forecast and is no place for a recreational boat).

Tell me any sensible person who has sailed in bad weather would choose to go out in this:

Old 14-02-2015, 13:47   #72

That's the beauty of sailing.. You can take whatever risks you are comfortable with and Big Brother doesn't control you. You just have to understand that there are folks out there that will take much greater risks than most folks are comfortable with. Isn't it great that there are a few things left that our every step isn't controlled ! Obviously I only wish the best for those two but I'm still happy that we can choose to go when ever we feel like it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:51   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

[QUOTE=sparrow409;1748871]Just a few added thoughts... The CG really doesn't want to be in the business of not letting boats head off to sea. It raises many issues that they just don't want to get involved in.

They were making nine knts when the AIS went out of range just off of Block Island. The wind moderated last night and I can't imagine them averaging more than 6-7 knts for the past 24 hrs. It's 730 miles to Bermuda. They won't be getting to Bermuda before the storm. They are very unlikely to make the stream before things get ugly. Really ugly.

A friend took a look at their boat last Wed. They were a long way from being ready for sea.

It's very sad when, for whatever reason, people don't leave themselves with any margin for error- Lets wish them luck, they are going to need a lot of it[/QUOTE]

AFAIK, the CG only stops grossly inadequate departures, and only when people (not the ones involved) notify them.

Yes, I agree they seem to have little margin for error, and especially, since they're two small humans out on the lonely sea, expecting 50+ knot winds [wind strength may be up to 40% higher in gusts], indeed, let's wish them good luck, and plenty of it!

Ann
Old 14-02-2015, 13:59   #74

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
indeed, let's wish them good luck, and plenty of it!

Ann

Indeed...I want to read about their happy arrival somewhere, not another rescue story!
S/V Evenstar - Hallberg-Rassy 53 Hull #34
Our travel blog, or "Embarrassing things I do to myself around boats"...
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 14:06   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
That's the beauty of sailing.. You can take whatever risks you are comfortable with and Big Brother doesn't control you. You just have to understand that there are folks out there that will take much greater risks than most folks are comfortable with. Isn't it great that there are a few things left that our every step isn't controlled ! Obviously I only wish the best for those two but I'm still happy that we can choose to go when ever we feel like it.
Big Brother doesn't control them, but, if they fire off their EPIRB (and they bought PLB's as well as an EPIRB) I assume they expect Big Brother to respond. That seems a tad disingenuous. I wish these guys the best and hope they arrive safely, not only for their own sakes, but also for the SAR teams that won't have to put their lives in harm's way.

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing