Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 00:36   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Well it would not be my choice of a boat for comfort, but of course they will make it.
Two mature smart people can handle that no problem. Boat looks adequate if Spartan.
Sneak down the East coast carefully, across the PAcific and you are home. She'll be right mate.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Stillbuilding,

You might want to re-assess. Their plan is to go east around.

A.
Old 13-02-2015, 00:53   #17

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Well having just completed the journey from Italy to Brazil then on to Falklands St Helena South africa and on to Broome departed sept 14 arrived feb 3rd average wind from Brazil to sth Africa was 27 knots highest we had was 67 knots with 4 to 6 meter seas crew of 4 we where shattered but from sth Africa to oz we had constant winds in the 30 with 4 meter seas every day and on 3 ocassions we had to heave too as got into to some fearsome tropical storms wrote of two sails (6k) .having done this in the correct season for this trip these two sailors are mad I wouldn't do it and I know my yacht is capable of doing it with the the right crew
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 01:37   #18

Boat: Able 50

No worries mate.

They will be doing it in 8 weeks.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 02:16   #19

Us Aussies are sometimes known to exhibit a larrikin behaviour, so has anyone thought that they are having a bit of fun with a small town reporter?

The distance via south Africa is closer to 12,000nm not the 8600miles in the report. Via the canal and Pacific (which seems more logical at this time of the year) is closer to the distance mentioned.

But I guess if it's in the media, it all must be 100% true.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:50   #20

Boat: Tayana 47

“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason McGlashan in his Australian accent. “We’ve got plenty of food, plenty of booze, good sails and all the safety gear you could ever need, so we’re going to be OK.”

Only one sailor aboard, and him without the sense to sail during the right season all along his intended route, but they've got plenty of booze onboard, so what could possibly go wrong? It also says they expect to average 150 mile days. Against the wind AND current down the east coast, they'll be very lucky to average half that towards their destination. Someone needs to persuade them to find a nice warm place to hole up for the winter and begin this voyage about 2-3 months from now so they at least have a chance.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 02:53   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm worried about these two Aussies (one experienced coastal sailor with his never been sailing 66yr old Dad) sailing out of Jamestown, RI this week. I'm not experienced but even I was alarmed when I read their planned route.

From Newport Daily News February 8, 2015
"Reg and Jason McGlashan spent the weekend getting ready to embark on the journey of a lifetime. In freezing weather, the father-and-son team prepared the 43-foot sailboat “Sedona” for their 8,600-nautical-mile trip back home to Port Macquarie, Australia."
“We’ve never done anything like this. Dad’s not even a sailor, but he’s a quick study,” said Jason."
" Jason recently bought the sailboat on the online auction site eBay, and since then the McGlashans have been working to outfit and prepare it for their upcoming 8,600-nautical-mile voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, around the tip of South Africa and through the Indian Ocean to the eastern coast of Australia."

Thoughts anyone?

More here:
Father-son duo delays trip back home to Australia - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Local State

Once in a lifetime - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Page One
I'd be more concerned about the choice of boat than the choice of dates.

Sedona was a fast racer, but she sat around unused for years at our yacht club. I'm sure some maintenance was done to keep her afloat, but she didn't sail for years and wasn't put through her paces. Maybe it has moved since we left the area in 2012, but I don't think so as it hadn't moved much before then.

A Nelson-Marek 43, she was built by Carroll marine who did not go out of business because their reputation for building rock solid, well put together boats scared people from buying them.

I am sure that with a LOT of money put into her she can be made off shore capable again, but the phrase "Jason recently bought the sailboat on the online auction site eBay" scares the crap out of me.

Its not that its a bad boat, but I suspect it may need a lot more work to make it safe than they put into a boat bought "recently" and on the cheap, unless they were saving their $$$ to dump into the boat. Given the age of the boat I'd look at new standing rigging and check all the chainplates and deck fittings at a minimum in addition to ensuring the mechanical systems work.

-----------

Course wise I think they may be a little off too. May be shorter to sail from the way they are thinking but it is also he more difficult direction. Maybe they are taking the boat to the West coast of Australia which would make more sense to go against the prevailing winds.

Sailing across the Pacific down wind is long, but is supposed to be much easier than going wrong way around. We did not find the sailing from Panama to New Zealand to be unmanageable at all.
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 03:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Down the E coast to Beaufort, NC then across to the Azores... (Bermuda optional).. Madeira, Canaries, Cap Verde, Brazil then SA..
Its around 9000miles.. Cape Town to Perth is roughly 5000..
Personally I'd not leave for the Azores before April.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 03:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Down the E coast to Beaufort, NC then across to the Azores... (Bermuda optional).. Madeira, Canaries, Cap Verde, Brazil then SA..
Its around 9000miles.. Cape Town to Perth is roughly 5000..
Personally I'd not leave for the Azores before April.
Their stated destination is their home town Port Macquarie which is on the EAST coast, half way between Sydney & Brisbane which is another 2,500nm beyond Perth.

Either they are TOTALLY clueless or they were having a bit of fun with the reporter and perhaps sailing forums that pick up on the story.
Old 13-02-2015, 03:28   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Their stated destination is their home town Port Macquarie which is on the EAST coast, half way between Sydney & Brisbane which is another 2,500nm beyond Perth.

Either they are TOTALLY clueless or they were having a bit of fun with the reporter and perhaps sailing forums that pick up on the story.
timing is perfect for a trip via the panama and pacific.
hardest part would be RI to florida,after that warm weather and tradewinds.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 03:45   #25

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Well I doubt if they are clueless. Would be interested to know their motivation for such a long slog. I guess many of us here COULD do it alone or in company without undue fuss. I would need a good reason but perhaps their motivation is different. Don't know the boat but doubt if it would be derelict. Easy enough to prepare it for such a voyage if basic structure is good. Have had a 40 yo racer which was a great boat and designed for heavy going so MAY be ok. Long run though.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 04:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Or... their logic could be.. 'that's the way all the RTW races go... we'll be right..'

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-02-2015, 04:14   #27

Quote:
Or... their logic could be.. 'that's the way all the RTW races go... we'll be right..'
But their google earth navigation planning would have given them 12,000nm and not 8,600nm

And it's "She'll be right, mate"
Old 13-02-2015, 04:24   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But their google earth navigation planning would have given them 12,000nm and not 8,600nm

And it's "She'll be right, mate"
Bollox...
As for the distance.. could be they used an app that someone who crewed for me used.. was supposed to work out routes and total sea miles from port to port.. time taken at average speed entered.. trouble is.. it does not allow for the wind and current patterns that effect sailing routes.
The route it came up with was a hard beat and a lot of tacking straight to SA past St Helena.. coupla 3 thou miles less but a killer trip.

Old 13-02-2015, 06:10   #29

Quote:
Bollox...
As for the distance.. could be they used an app that someone who crewed for me used.. was supposed to work out routes and total sea miles from port to port.. time taken at average speed entered.. trouble is.. it does not allow for the wind and current patterns that effect sailing routes.
The route it came up with was a hard beat and a lot of tacking straight to SA past St Helena.. coupla 3 thou miles less but a killer trip.
I just found SEA-DISTANCES.ORG - Distances and put in there nearest ports I could be bothered finding (Boston & Sydney). These are the distances that it came up with which will probably be measured by straight lining between waypoints, which will never happen.

Even straight lining the shortest distance is over 1000nm further than what was quoted in the article. The only way for it to be an 8600nm trip would be to fly.

There are so many stupid things in the article that either the Aussies were taking the piss, did their planning pissed out of their brains or the reporter was filling in the gaps and making assumptions.

Way #1

Distance 9848 nautical miles VIA Panama Canal
Vessel speed 6.25 knots
Time 65 days 16 and hours
Way #2

Distance 12670 nautical miles VIA Strait of Magellan
Vessel speed 6.25 knots
Time 84 days 11 and hours
Way #3

Distance 12737 nautical miles VIA Cape Horn
Vessel speed 6.25 knots
Time 84 days 22 and hours
Way #4

Distance 13249 nautical miles VIA Cape of Good Hope
Vessel speed 6.25 knots
Time 88 days 08 and hours
Way #5

Distance 13252 nautical miles VIA Suez Canal
Vessel speed 6.25 knots
Time 88 days 08 and hours

and as they are Aussies, the expression is "She'll be right, mate"
Old 13-02-2015, 06:24   #30

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:

Well if they have the capacity to do the run from R. I. To Perth the the last bit from there to Port Macquarie would be a doddle I reckon. There is at least one member of this forum who did much the same distance from West Australia to Tasmania just to fill in the idle couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing