Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 09:34   #106
Eternal Member

Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that the boat? Quest? I saw that on eBay. Not my first choice for a half circumnavigation.
No, QUEST is a sister ship, another Nelson Marek 43... I'm just assuming the underbody of SEDONA is similar...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:10   #107

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
No, QUEST is a sister ship, another Nelson Marek 43... I'm just assuming the underbody of SEDONA is similar...

Not exactly encouraging, is it? Rather than looking forward to saying "I told you so," I'm still holding out hope they're holed up on the e. coast somewhere. If not, then maybe look forward to Boatman saying "I told you so" if we find out they've arrived safely in Bermuda!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:24   #108

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think Quest has a longer keel than the one in the drawing. Maybe a different shape too. Anybody know the draft of the Sedona?
Old 15-02-2015, 10:26   #109
Eternal Member

Good news...

They're alive:

Australia-Bound Sailors Rescued At Sea During Blizzard « CBS Boston

And, in related news from the North Atlantic in February:

Quote:

Coast Guard rescues four boaters off Bald Head Island

Published: Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 12:08 p.m.

Last Modified: Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 12:14 p.m.

BRUNSWICK COUNTY | The Coast Guard rescued four people Saturday from a sailboat after its sails were damaged in high winds about 60 miles southeast of Bald Head Island, according to a news release.

An emergency locator beacon alert was received about 6 p.m. from the 40-foot trimaran Trio, homeported in Pensacola, Florida, the release says.
An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from the Elizabeth City air station arrived at 8:15 p.m., hoisted the four people up and took them back to the air station in good condition. No injuries were reported.

The rescued boaters were identified as Trio owner Frank W. Rawley, 55; Douglas Rider, 58; Lorette Medwel, 55; and a 14-year-old boy. They had been sailing from Beaufort to Pensacola.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/news-f...-wect-tv6.html

Those CG rescue swimmers are getting plenty of practice lately, thanks to us recreational sailors...

Hope they at least had the presence of mind to set that tri on fire, before stepping off...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:31   #110

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Who'd u thunk......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:38   #111

They could've saved ten grand and lots of trouble if they just read this forum once in a while.

Great kudos to CG guys!
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:43   #112

Boat: Formosa 41

I wonder if they would have left in the first place if they didn't have someone to rescue them.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 11:30   #113

What incredible skill, bravery and resources it must take to manage that sort of rescue. Just incredible. So very grateful no one lost their lives. Now, I have to just stop paying attention because Jason, I’m sure, will continue to “worry" me. He’s bound to be looking for a new ride as soon as he thaws out!
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 11:32   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I wonder if they would have left in the first place if they didn't have someone to rescue them.
Or if when the CG boarded them earlier the CG said, "When you guys call for help, we won't be happy about rescuing you."

What I couldn't understand was the media reporting several days ago they had postponed their trip due to weather. Then they went out into this?
Old 15-02-2015, 11:47   #115

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Kudos to the CG crew for a job well done. I can't imagine going out in those conditions. So glad that no one was lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
What I couldn't understand was the media reporting several days ago they had postponed their trip due to weather. Then they went out into this?
[Pure speculation] These guys may not have sailed up in these waters, but they knew that they were going to be late in the season for sailing eastbound from SA to Australia. With a couple of delays already pushing their schedule back I wonder if they felt the need to push their luck for 600 miles now to have a chance of success in the several thousand mile transit of the Southern Ocean in the austral fall. [/Pure speculation]
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:02   #116

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Great job the men are safe!

We'll probably never know why they went out into that forecast. I, personally, wondered if their visas were up and they couldn't extend them from within the US. It wouldn't be the first time someone left into bad weather for that reason. I also think it is hard for people who've never seen a blizzard to imagine what this storm would have been, at sea. I only know it would be horrible.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 12:02   #117

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I'm grateful there was no loss of life.

I hope I never need to use the USCG, but am glad there there if I do....Bless you Boys
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:02   #118
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
So very grateful no one lost their lives. Now, I have to just stop paying attention because Jason, I’m sure, will continue to “worry" me. He’s bound to be looking for a new ride as soon as he thaws out!
Hopefully you, or someone else, will stop him from making another mistake in the future. I had a friend that lost his boat off the Mexican Coast on his way to Hawaii. I wish someone would have stopped him. He wasn't ready, and neither was the boat.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:11   #119

I'm really glad to see a happy ending. I'm sure the skipper who lost his boat can't be pleased.

That said, I hope this sailor will learn from this terrible experience. He should be happy he didn't lose his and his father's life. Heading out into a winter gale with an untrained crew and illprepared boat was beyond foolish. Luckily, the CG was available to come to their aid.

Should he have the right to risk his life? Perhaps, but I'm in the camp who says there should me more oversight into such voyages. Remember the Bounty sailing across the path of a hurricane?

If the CG is expected to rescue ships off our coasts, does the requirement for filing the equivalent of a flight plan and weather window make sense?
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:22   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Great job the men are safe!

We'll probably never know why they went out into that forecast. I, personally, wondered if their visas were up and they couldn't extend them from within the US.
Ann
I'm not sure about that, but I doubt it.

Wouldn't it have been good for the CG to have called the Aussie Embassy in the area before the sailors left? Perhaps they could have been dissuaded from leaving in such hostile conditions, and put on notice their next of kin.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing