Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 16:06   #46

Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Their last position is shown there (going 9 knots!), but it's 65 minutes old. Every other boat around them has a position that's less than 5 minutes old.

Either they turned off the AIS, or have a radio/AIS/electrical problem?
Nah... Class B AIS disappears from the online AIS sites well before class A goes

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-02-2015, 16:16   #47
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
^^^^Indeed, and sailing into the Australian winter systems, as well. However, we don't know what has been done to prep the boat, nor the experience of the skipper.

FWIW, it will be primarily upwind as a journey, into the prevailing SE'lies. One would want a well found boat, rather than a bargain basement deal.

Ann
it think you are wrong ANN
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:28   #48
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
They just passed Block Island. NOAA is reporting on our latest winter storm, "Neptune" with predicted gale force winds and heavy seas. If they get into trouble, even trying to nip in will be near impossible.
Sure hope they're tucked into Atlantic City or Cape May by tomorrow night... Not gonna be much fun out there on a boat that appears not to have a dodger, either...

By going outside rather than down LI Sound, they sure aren't leaving themselves much margin for error, especially considering it's a new-to-them boat bought off eBay for $10K... Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Storm watch in effect from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon

Coastal Waters From Sandy Hook To Manasquan Inlet Nj Out 20 Nm-
Coastal Waters From Manasquan Inlet To Little Egg Inlet Nj Out
20 Nm-
Tonight

NW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt...becoming W 5 to 10 kt after midnight...then becoming SW late. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Mainly in E swell with a dominant period of 11 seconds. Light freezing spray this evening.
Sat

SW winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt...increasing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft...building to 4 to 7 ft in the late morning and afternoon. Mainly in S swell with a dominant period of 8 seconds. Light freezing spray in the morning. A chance of snow early in the afternoon. Snow late. Vsby 1 to 3 nm early in the afternoon...decreasing to 1 nm or less.
Sat Night

SW winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 40 kt... increasing to 25 to 35 kt with gusts up to 45 kt late in the evening...then becoming W 30 to 40 kt with gusts up to 50 kt after midnight. Seas 7 to 10 ft dominant period 7 seconds. Snow until early morning...then snow showers likely late. Freezing spray late. Vsby 1 nm or less early in the evening...then 1 to 3 nm late.
Sun

NW winds 35 to 40 kt with gusts up to 50 kt. Seas 7 to 10 ft dominant period 7 seconds. A chance of snow showers in the morning. Heavy freezing spray in the morning...then freezing spray in the afternoon. Vsby 1 to 3 nm...decreasing to 1 nm or less in the late morning and afternoon.
Sun Night

NW winds 30 to 40 kt. Seas 5 to 8 ft. Freezing spray.
Mon

NW winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt...diminishing to 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 30 kt in the afternoon. Seas 4 to 6 ft...subsiding to 3 to 4 ft in the afternoon. Freezing spray.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:35   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

They will make it because Australians are all natural born sailors and good all round at everything.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:46   #50
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

I cant find them now where did they go?
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:50   #51

Boat: Able 50

It seems like there is a pretty big storm due tomorrow. Will they be in range ?

Snow 'hurricane' to lash New England this weekend
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 20:54   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
They will make it because Australians are all natural born sailors and good all round at everything.
not entirely true

http://www.ipa.org.au/publications/7...ggest-mistakes
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 05:45   #53

Some good news! The Coast Guard has reported that they are ahead of the storm and are due to hit Bermuda by Monday.
Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 06:25   #54
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
Some good news! The Coast Guard has reported that they are ahead of the storm and are due to hit Bermuda by Monday.
Hmmm, never even entered my mind they might be crazy enough to be heading for Bermuda, straight from Newport...

I dunno, not sure even the vaunted Gunboat 55 would be capable of "Sailing AROUND" this one...

I sure hope they're tied up somewhere before dark tonight... South Jersey Marina in Cape May is where I'd want to be...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 06:25   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing New England to Australia in February

Hope they run SSE next leg to pick up the S'lies before heading E.. pretty fierce between Bermuda and the Azores/Madeira straight line this time of year.. if they catch it right they could get to 500 miles off Madeira then curve down to the Canaries on the NE'lies... or.. just keep on to Cap Verde.. just depends how the food and waters going..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 06:51   #56

Perhaps we’re missing the point. I can see it now,

"Australian miner/sailor all around wild adventurer Jason, discovers abandoned $2.5 mil Gunboat, “Rainmaker”. Claims salvage rights and is on his way back to Oz!"

Imagine that.
Old 14-02-2015, 07:15   #57

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I had to read all the articles. They said in one of them their first stop would be Bermuda. I hope that poor woman didn't send her husband off to die with her son.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:21   #58

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Last night, we met up with a friend who works at the Newport West Marine. He is a very experienced sailor. Apparently, these guys have been making frequent trips to WM to outfit Sedona. He says they are good guys who seem to know what they're doing in terms of preparing the boat. His understanding was that they were heading for Bermuda. They apparently delayed their departure twice already because of the weather. He was shocked when I told him they had left yesterday. No way they are going to get across the Stream before the storm forms up.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:24   #59

Boat: Melody 34

Has anyone heard anything more about this boat? Doing nine knots in stormy conditions then vanishing does not seem promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
strangertides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:36   #60

The CG said that we cannot see their AIS on Marine Traffic because they are out of range. They boarded them yesterday & felt that their boat & experience was adequate to make the trip to Bermuda. I don't know anything more other than to say that the CG didn't seem overly concerned, to which I was greatly relieved.

Tags
Australia, England, new england, sail, sailing