Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10   #46

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Sailing in the FL Keys

Be aware that the Keys are sitting on limestone. The limestone wears in a very irregular pattern and it can be quite painful to walk on (ouch!). Many of those tiny little deserted islands are limestone coming up to impenetrable mangroves with no sandy beach at all so you can look but you can't touch. When you plan on cruising around find the places with sand so you can get off your boat if you wish.
There are some state parks down there which may require a special boating pass. The locals here will know about that.

Have fun
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47   #47

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What's a realistic cruising speed for your boat? I know McGregor used to advertise 20+ mph but from threads I've seen it sounds like 15 is more realistic.

I've spent a lot of time on My buddies 26M. He says it will do 22 (i'm not sure if that's mph or knots) but he does have a 70 horse on it. He used to pull the kids and grand kids skiing with the rig up. Gotta be a crazy sight.
Old 06-01-2019, 17:55   #48

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that we dove Looe Key last summer after Hurricane Irma. That's where we wanted our ashes deposited. The reef has been devastated. We went from there to Stock Island marina and was docked next to the FWC boat. We mentioned to the officer (who is an awesome law enforcement person) about Looe Key and he said he was an avid diver and acknowledged that Looe Key had been damaged. He didn't want to talk about it. We're going there again this summer.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing