Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 17:07   #1

Sailing from the Caribbean to the U.S. - insurance without a survey?

I own a 1997 Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC in St. Thomas, USVI. I will be sailing to the United States in less than a month - St. Thomas to Puerto Rico, up the north coast of the DR then Turks and Caicos, up the Bahamas to Nassau before sailing to the Chesapeake Bay where I will drydock her for at least the next six months. I don't currently have insurance or a recent survey.

In my experience U.S. insurance companies are expensive, unreliable (outside the U.S.), unfriendly to liveaboards and require a full survey. Most cruisers I know with boat insurance in the Caribbean use European companies. Edward William has been recommended to me, but some of what I found about it online seems sketchy. Also, I'm a bit wary of trying to chase a company down from across the pond when they don't want to pay a claim.

I'm looking for coverage at least for the delivery of the boat from the USVI to the U.S. Once there, I will be hauling the boat out anyway so I wouldn't mind getting a survey done and/or get a new, cheaper policy that conforms with the bare minimum requirements of the boat yard.

Any thoughts? I noticed several huge companies like Allianz, Progressive and GEICO offer boat insurance and they don't seem to require a survey. What would you recommend?
Nonixskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 17:17   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Sailing from the Caribbean to the U.S. - insurance without a survey?

I use Geico for my RV's but until you have a claim you do not know how good you will be treated.

Geico has a very good understanding of RV's in that they cover accidents at my RV site. Other insurance companies it was like pulling teeth to get them to understand my common RV configuation.

I would at least talk to Geico.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 17:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'd try Topsail and Pantaenius.

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 18:08   #4

Boat: Alberg 35

I don't know whether being in the USVI would affect this but when I needed insurance on my 1965 Alberg 35, Progressive let me do a declared value for the boat without requiring a survey. I believe I had to sign a statement that the boat was in good condition. If something happens, their liability for a loss of the hull is limited to my declared value. Liability insurance etc. was the same as in other policies. Rates were reasonable. I'm not pushing Progressive, have no connection with them, and as a previous poster said, you really don't know until you have a claim and I haven't had one. Just trying to be helpful; I had just bought the boat and new to me boat costs meant the $800 for a survey was something I just couldn't afford.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 18:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing from the Caribbean to the U.S. - insurance without a survey?

Should be able to get 3rd party cover to be legal entering marina's.. that's all many of us have..
Mind.. one has to have the attitude.. if you can't afford to lose it.. don't buy it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 19:34   #6

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Should be able to get 3rd party cover to be legal entering marina's.. that's all many of us have..
Mind.. one has to have the attitude.. if you can't afford to lose it.. don't buy it..
Yep, if you lose your boat offshore you've probably got other more important things to worry about.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 20:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

We used foremost marine insurance. Had a dismasting caused by lightening strike on an Ericson 27. They sent a rigger and new mast to the marina hauled us out and replaced the mast chain plates and all standing rigging. We never saw a bill or even an estimate sheet from anyone.
Foremost Insurance Group
Old 19-03-2016, 04:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'd try Topsail and Pantaenius.

If the boat is due for a major overhaul, I wouldn't bother with Pantaenius. They will let you fill out all the forms with no indication of an issue and then a week later tell you they can't underwrite you with no indication why.

Liability insurance shouldn't be hard to come by.

Full coverage without a survey for offshore work will be a lot tougher to come by. In the unfortunate event of a claim, expect a lot of resistance to payout if you took out insurance and the boat sank a week later.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 05:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing from the Caribbean to the U.S. - insurance without a survey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Liability insurance shouldn't be hard to come by.

Full coverage without a survey for offshore work will be a lot tougher to come by. In the unfortunate event of a claim, expect a lot of resistance to payout if you took out insurance and the boat sank a week later.
Yup.. that's why home build Wharrams became a No No for full cover..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 05:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nonixskis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 07:18   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If you have a US address, connect with the owner of IMIS, Al Golden.

Al is an ex-cruiser and will give you straight feedback, and very good service. He will let you know up front if he can cover you, and give you guidance if not.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 19-03-2016, 08:19   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I also have a declared value coverage from Progressive, who did not require a survey. Their pricing was inexpensive compared to 'marine' insurance providers like BoatUS. I've never had a claim with them, so can't comment there. But it gets me into a marina which requires insurance. And I have a coastal policy which I believe only covers me within 75 miles of the US coast. I don't know what Progressive requires for an international waters policy.

I had an auto claim with Gieco with a $2,300 payout, which they refused to allow me to pay out of pocket and then they increased my rate by $1700 per year! They said the premium would stay that much for 5yrs... So I switched and pay less annually then their increase alone.

good luck
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 08:33   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I also have a declared value coverage from Progressive, who did not require a survey. Their pricing was inexpensive compared to 'marine' insurance providers like BoatUS. I've never had a claim with them, so can't comment there. But it gets me into a marina which requires insurance. And I have a coastal policy which I believe only covers me within 75 miles of the US coast. I don't know what Progressive requires for an international waters policy.

I had an auto claim with Gieco with a $2,300 payout, which they refused to allow me to pay out of pocket and then they increased my rate by $1700 per year! They said the premium would stay that much for 5yrs... So I switched and pay less annually then their increase alone.

good luck
From personal experience I would not consider Geico. Son thought he had insurance with them but they'd cancelled without notifying him due to his car having a branded title and he got a fine for driving without insurance. That's how he found out!
Progressive ok with liability w/o survey on our Cape Dory and reasonable but never did a claim so can't speak for that.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 08:48   #14

Boat: Leopard 40

Seaworthy, our old company was bought out by GEICO marine. I am not impressed. They have no clue how to do business outside the US. They wanted to send a US check. Which is strange since they offer auto insurance to the military in Europe.
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 09:01   #15

First: You are not living aboard... you are sailing from ST T. to Chesapeake. Think in those terms when getting insurance.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, insurance, rib, sail, sailing, survey