Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2019, 17:54   #1

Sailing From NYC to the Dominican Republic

Hello Everyone,

I want to buy a sail boat. I want to travel to the Dominican Republic. I have been told that it takes around 7 days to get there. im looking for a month vacation. spending 14 days traveling, round trip and the other 15,16 days enjoying the island. I will be traveling alone or with another person max. I want to take some sailing classes before I head out. I need help with information on the sail boat. can anyone please tell me if I can make it comfortable to the Dominican Republic with a 30ft? I was reading an article and the person said that he experienced 40ft high waves going to the Caribbeans. is this legit? I got a little worried after reading that I may experience waves bigger then the sail boat i'm trying to buy. I'm not trying to spend more than 40k on the sail boat. background: i'm a newbie, I have never sailed before, this will be my first adventure in the ocean.

thank you for your help.
sailing365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 18:03   #2

Re: Sailing From NYC to the Dominican Republic

Hate to rain on your parade. This is a 10 to 12 day trip for a 30 ft boat with a very experienced crew with a perfect weather window & conditions. It's not a trip for a newbee.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 19:57   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Sailing From NYC to the Dominican Republic

But donít let that rain and truth stop you from sailing!!! Start smaller and simpler and build to the trip to the DR.
dfelsent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic, nyc, sail, sailing