Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22   #31

Re: Sailing From Jax Florida To Puerto Rico Please Respond. Any Input Appreciated

You guys are giving the information all wrong.

Jacksonville.........go east for 7 days. Turn south until you spot land.

Easy enough.

If you ask enough people you will get the answer you want.

Do with it what you will. I'm not a nautical or travel advisor. This is my disclaimer that I'm not responsible for your use of the information I relayed.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Sailing From Jax Florida To Puerto Rico Please Respond. Any Input Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
LOL. It's a yacht master exam mnemonic. I can't claim credit
Well you're the first one I heard it from so I'll give you an honorable mention anyway.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Rakuflames,

I think you meant to say a strong northerly current.

What I meant was that the current flows from the south, and when a strong wind comes from the north, chaos can be the result.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45   #34
cruiser

Quote:
That's right. A wind is named for from where it blows; a current to where it flows. Confusing, but that's the way it is.

I just accept these things as "the way it is," and often I eventually learn the reason for it, like "port and starboard" instead of "left and right." Once you realize why, the terminology doesn't bug you any longer.

Thanks for the explanation. Did not know that.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
You guys are giving the information all wrong.

Jacksonville.........go east for 7 days. Turn south until you spot land.

Easy enough.

If you ask enough people you will get the answer you want.

Do with it what you will. I'm not a nautical or travel advisor. This is my disclaimer that I'm not responsible for your use of the information I relayed.

James L
Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek or not. However just in case, that is a good route for a boat built for the ocean but a MacGregor 26 is not really designed or built for open water.

Do you know the boat? It is a compromise between a ski boat and a day sailor. With a large outboard it will plane and can top out around 25 kts.

It's an interesting design and good for the niche it's made to fill but not appropriate at all for a trip that would take you a couple of hundred miles from the nearest port. If the OP picks his weather carefully and has plenty of time, he could probably make it island hopping down the thorny path. Taking I-65 I think would be a real crap shoot.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
whoever is maintaining the negativity in my valid question. please understand. im here asking simple. valid question.
have a nice day. and for you....
let me ask you this....a bottle is made of glass....people find them washed up at shore 100 years after a note is placed in them......do you think they fell out of a spaceship or went over the niagra falls to get there......
wow...look at me..now im engrossed in this groups drama what a nightmare...you guys wouldn't get off the couch to make nachos let alone sail anything....especially in blue water!!!
also. we've had a thousand tons of stuff wash ashore on the west coast of the us from japan after the earthquake.....did that fall out of the sky or come from niagra falls!!! ha ha ha
what a joke...
take care...
put your laptop where your mouth is and go sail in blue water...it's a lot safer than close to shore in a lot of different circumstances....
you do crack me up...
thank you.
stephen k r
ha ha ha....
ps. please don't reply to my posts unless you have experience with what im interested in. that is my premier audience.
these are valid questions. i don't want to waste the time of the moderator and myself listenting to your invalid retoric.
i just want to know. where in florida do i leave from and what is the safest and best route to get to puerto rico. and let's just say im taking a jet ski...that's fine...if you have info. please let me know.
thx again.

I stopped reading when you started to insult everyone. I spent a lot of time on posts to you -- as did others -- but apparently it's not welcome. That's OK. Good luck to you but I won't bother you further.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50   #37

Do you have any sailing experience? A Mac 26 sailing to PR will most likely be a test of the sailor, assuming the boat stays together and that's iffy.. Pick your weather window with great care.

My 'best' advice for getting a Mac26 to PR is to trailer it to Belize and sail from there...Enjoy Belize while you're there...

Good luck and take lots of video to share

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
.............My 'best' advice for getting a Mac26 to PR is to trailer it to Belize and sail from there..............
Let's not play with this advice and please keep the information serious. The trip from Belize to Puerto Rico is a 40% increase in distance directly into the tradewinds compared to the route from Florida and with longer passages. We have given some reasonable advice that the OP doesn't care for. Let's not shift to unreasonable plans.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeesH View Post
I understand Elskede's frustration about the answers here, he didn't asked for an opinion about his "bathtub" he just asked for route information.

With what we now know about the stability of Joshua's S. Spray then a MacGregor is an ocean going vessel. BTW what answers would you had given when Joshua S. asked advice about his trip fro Brazil to the States????

CeesH
The same thing I asked this guy, "what's your level of experience?"

How does he compare to Slocum?? I feel that is a much bigger issue than any vessel being used..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Let's not play with this advice and please keep the information serious. The trip from Belize to Puerto Rico is a 40% increase in distance directly into the tradewinds compared to the route from Florida and with longer passages. We have given some reasonable advice that the OP doesn't care for. Let's not shift to unreasonable plans.
You're right. What was I thinking?? Trailer it to Caracas, maybe??

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 05-11-2012, 12:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek or not. However just in case, that is a good route for a boat built for the ocean but a MacGregor 26 is not really designed or built for open water.

Do you know the boat? It is a compromise between a ski boat and a day sailor. With a large outboard it will plane and can top out around 25 kts.

It's an interesting design and good for the niche it's made to fill but not appropriate at all for a trip that would take you a couple of hundred miles from the nearest port. If the OP picks his weather carefully and has plenty of time, he could probably make it island hopping down the thorny path. Taking I-65 I think would be a real crap shoot.
I know the boat well. The information was given, because he is not going to listen to what we say anyway.

He wants cold hard facts, but doesn't listen to the details when they are given.

This is about facts not probability. I hate to say it, but he will ask enough people, and get basically the same answer I gave. It is the only thing he will hear. Everyone is good at listening, but only the determined will hear you.

I'm pretty skeptical I would want to try to take anything less than a 31 ft across those passages, and even then it would need to have at least a partial keel.

I know many smaller boats have done it, but a keel less boat is way more risk than I wish to bet my life on.

I stick with my post as written.

He can take the information and do as he pleases. Anything else looks to be a waste of time, even though I know you guys are trying to keep him safe.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16   #42
cruiser

Quote:
The same thing I asked this guy, "what's your level of experience?"

How does he compare to Slocum?? I feel that is a much bigger issue than any vessel being used..
Hey dude, Maritiem Officier (Marof) Licenced Captain on all vessels.

www.maritiem-officier.nl

CeesH
Old 05-11-2012, 14:06   #43

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
...i found out there is a mac26 dealer in p.r. so thereya go...
Sounds like the OP made up his mind to just buy it in PR, so maybe it's time to lock/ignore this thread, and just enjoy life.

And maybe this guy is Chucklet's father!

Old 05-11-2012, 14:29   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
You're right. What was I thinking?? Trailer it to Caracas, maybe??
Hey, Tough ride, but easy sail. Maybe it's time for you to write a cruising guide. Lot's of new possibilities! Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 14:58   #45

Quote:
Let's just all calm down, ok?

I see Hannah on Rita misunderstood the OP - he was calling himself a "retard", in a friendly, self-deprecating way, not Hannah or anyone else. Hannah misunderstand, got bent out of shape, the the OP got offended himself.

This is really stupid and unnecessary. The OP asked for help - please give it to him.
Dockhead, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I didn't misunderstand the OP, I knew he was referring to himself, the term is offensive in whatever context and this Forum is pretty careful about language, I think. And, for the record, I was giving him serious advice about the trip, been there, done that, have the t-shirt, and I can tell you he couldn't count on being able to get safely far enough east from anywhere in Florida to sail south to Puerto Rico, in the winter the trades are the problem, in the summer the chance of a hurricane -- on a26 foot McGregor he is unlikely to have SSB or other reliable weather routing information. I don't believe he is a serious sailor, so I'm not now very concerned. And who knew there were "McGregor dealers" anywhere. Sigh.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, sailing