Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 18:24   #1

Boat: Hughes Boatworks 27.5
Sailing FAIL

So I have an old Hughes 27 that since March I have bee refinishing and polishing for months. Being consistently short handed and an absolute noob to sailing, I've only put the sails up a few times. I brought the boat from Biscayne Bay up to Ft Lauderdale for new bottom paint. Going against the wind I motored the 30 miles up to Ft Lauderdale. Anyway, Saturday I brough the boat back down to Miami and had the wind to the stern so I ventured to unfurl the jib on several occations. there was a stiff 18-23 knot wind but the boat was solid and it sure was helping me get back to Miami faster. After a several hours I arrived in Biscayne Bay and decided to to take it to the next step and put up the main. I was trying troubleshoot a problem with getting main to fully extend to the top. About that time 2 consecutive 100 foot ships came roaring by at 30 miles an hour! We took the waves to the side which sent the boat and mast swinging violently side to side. Somewhere in beween that and holding on for my life the mainsail ripped in half! If the process of freaking out I started loosening lines trying to get the tatered main under control as it beat me like a stupid step child. Finally I got it under control and decided to furl the Jib and realized that one of the lines that I had loosened allowed the furling system to drop down a few feet and I couldn't get it to pull back up to the top so that I could furl the jib. Even tried to winch it up to the top before dropping the winch handle in bay! Anyway, my second beating ensued as I manualy tried to wrap the jib. I did get it close enough to wrapped that I could tie the wad of sail into a pittiful klump of fabric! Having been the entertainment for several other sailboaters with much more experience and electric furling masts, I cranked up my old Yanmar determined to just go home. That was until my motor overheated! I anchored and called SeaTow. The good news is I cought my moring ball on the first pass!

So I know I need a new main ( it was on it's way out anyway). Can anyone tell me how to get my furling back to the top? It's like it's stuck a few feet down from the mast head?
miamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:31   #2

Boat: 1974 islander 44
I am so gonna save this to read after I have a bad day . Not sure of your problem with the furler , did you drop the jib down , or somehow let the forestry loose ?
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:57   #3

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Sailing FAIL

Just sounds to me like your 60 miles more knowledgeable than you were before. Good on yer and sorry about your ripped main. It'll fix and you were smart enough to finish the trip and be alive to post here.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:24   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Get a used main and reef early.

If somebody comes by close and at high speed, blow your horn and give finger while you cuss 'em on the radio, channel 16.
If they endanger your life or boat, call the Coast Guard.

We have all been newbies, but don't go out in busy sea-lanes while you are learning..Cruise Biscayne Bay in the nooks and crannies and relax.

Get a used sail from these guys:

Used Sails from Second Wind Sails
Old 05-12-2011, 19:25   #5

I'm dying my hair and changing the name of the boat just in case this lands on Youtube! LOL Still looking for anyone that has had their furling system drop down and how I might be able to get it back up to the mast head. Please don't tell me bonsun chair cause I can't think of anyone I trust to winch me up!
Old 06-12-2011, 00:06   #6

Boat: Niagara 35
LOL good on you for surviving and for telling us about it.

The jib probably just lowered a few feet because you loosened the halyard. It won't winch back up because the bolt rope is jammed in the foil at the bottom where it feeds in to the foil. Try drooping it 6"then raising it carefully while feeding it in at the bottom.
Old 06-12-2011, 00:30   #7

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
LOL good on you for surviving and for telling us about it.

The jib probably just lowered a few feet because you loosened the halyard. It won't winch back up because the bolt rope is jammed in the foil at the bottom where it feeds in to the foil. Try drooping it 6"then raising it carefully while feeding it in at the bottom.
if it wont go up pull it all out and re insert, Or it could be a D Bolt up there mine turned and the more I pulled it did nothing. had to go up the mast.
Saying that go and get rock climbing equipment easy to use and its like climbing stairs 100% recommend.

I blew out my main took it to the sail maker it was just the islets had been ripped out I thought it was stuffed but it was an easy fix and cheep. Pull it out measure it and look on ebay you bound to get a good second hand cheep one.

and you did not fail you had a hard training session

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow - Spent more than a few luck chips and a few boat bucks. I sure hope the experience bucket got some filling.

Furlers can be different in operation and hoisting. A picture of the unit might help.

Most modern furlers consist of a foil wrapped around the forestay. it will have one or more grooves that the sail bolt rope inserts into at the bottom. The upper drum rides up and down on the foil. The top of the drum is attached to the halyard. The lower end of the upper drum is attached to the head of the sail. By inserting the sail in the foil attaching to the lowered drum unit, it is then hoisted up the foil. the sail is attached to the lower drum unit which usually has the foil foot inserted in the top of it. The lower end of the lower drum is attached to the bow fitting.

You could have something fouling the sail in the foil groove or something fouling the top drum unit.

It is uncommon for the sail to foul inside the foil but possible. In this case I would expect the sail will go neither up nor down.

As others have said check where the sail is feeding into the foil and make sure it is not pinched there. If you've been winching the halyard it could be jammed pretty good.

Lowering the sail is not a bad idea. If fouling of the upper drum unit is suspected the sail can be detached, a spare line attached to the unit and the unit hoisted to check it out. Note - the spare line is really gonna be necessary to haul the unit back down. Don't skip that step...

If the unit goes up and down freely reload the sail. If the unit binds, someone is going up the mast...

It would be remiss not to mention that you should not over winch the jib. To do so puts all the sail loads on the upper and lower drums. Just winch it until the sail is straight. This way the loads are carried on the forestay as designed and you won't fail the upper drum unit from overload (ask me how I know about this and am $400 poorer)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:08   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

In a year you will be saying to yourself "wow haven't had any problems lately"

You need to comletely drop that head sail and check it etc. (the rope luff is probably jammed at the bottom). The added benefit is that you will then understand how it works etc. ater hositing it back up.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:40   #10

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Awesome! Congrats man!

Getting that mooring ball first try....good job....
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37   #11

Thanks everyone for you help. I'll try to get out there this weekend and get a picture and try some of the remediations suggested by all the great folks on this thread!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:19   #12

Boat: Pearson 281

Great post Miamiz! and a great attitude!
File under we learn more from the races we lose than those we win. I'm with hillbilly... a useful 60 miles! Good catch on the mooring ball.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:42   #13

So I went out to the scene of the crime today. Yanking on the line that pulls the jib up was still stuck. Then I noticed that as the sail drops down the edge bead on the sail comes out of the track at the bottom. So it wasn't getting stuck at the top but actually at the bottom. Just needed some help keeping in the track while at the same time pulling the furing line up. Took both sails of for cleaning and to have the main repaired or replaced.

THANKS EVERYONE for your help! Next time I'm going out taking a friend that has years of sailing experience to help me get started. Although, I think I got a good lesson in everything that can go wrong at once!

This site is the BEST!

Tags
sailing