Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2007, 17:53   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
so right

Dave,

totally agree with you.... Health units are quite important!!! as you know here in Puerto Rico there is some decent sailling and pretty much a lot of islands to visit without having to spend days on end on the water, I believe that is what keeps my dream of cruising so alive, even a little day run just fules the passion again because time units dont help!!!

Here is to keeping the dream alive and praying for some health units to be able to work for the freedom chips!!!

Got to bring down Exit Only down here!!
Old 27-07-2007, 18:20   #17

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Danny,

You are right about getting the boat back down to Puerto Rico. Exit Only was in Puerto Rico about a year and a half ago at Puerto del Rey Marina at the outer docks for about two weeks. It was a great homecoming because I had a sailboat at Roosevelt Roads Naval Station for five years when I was in the Navy. I have sailed to Vieques and Culebra many times.

After I finish up in Phoenix, that would be a good base to operate from in the Caribbean. Eastern Puerto Rico and the Spanish Virgins have a lot to offer.

You are in a great location. You can earn freedom chips and enjoy the tradewind sailing at the same time. It doesn't get much better than that if you have to go to work every day.

May you live long and prosper during the week and sail on the weekends.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 22:00   #18

Sailormann,

I am a person after your own heart. I have a severe allergy to high lattitude offshore cruising. If I had to do a high lattitude circumnavigation, I would have never sailed around the world. I am a trade wind sailor at heart, and I am allergic to storms in the tradewind belt as well.

Fortunately, the majority of a circumnavigation can be done outside hurricane season in the trade wind belt totally avoiding the southern capes. When it came time to decide whether to go around the Cape of Good Hope or up the Red Sea, it didn't take me long to decide. The Red Sea route kept me out of the high lattitudes, and it worked for me.

When I was younger and had a my Westsail 32, thoughts of a southerly circumnavigation around the southern capes passed through my mind. Fortunately, I outgrew this dream, and I settled into a trade wind trip. For me it was the right dream and the right decision. Some people need to go to the high lattitudes to prove themselves and their yachts. It works for them, and that's just fine.

It really doesn't matter where you sail; what matters is that you are living your dreams.
Old 28-07-2007, 10:15   #19

I'll probably get some flack for this...but I remember the exact moment when sailing entered my mind and I wanted a sailboat. It's strange how the mind works sometimes but I was a teenager growing up in New York City and sailing was the furthest thing from my mind. I went to see a movie with friends and it was the type of movie that I really enjoyed; different country, jungles, adventure and the main character wanting to buy a sailboat when he hit it big. At the end of the movie, he has this sailboat being transported throught the streets of Manhattan. The idea was that he would retire and just explore the world at his pace and see different countries and cultures thanks to this boat. For some strange reason and I don't know whether it was the contrast of seeing that boat against this urban setting, that boat was just beautiful to me and I knew that sailing and sailboats would be in my life at that moment.

Now keep in mind this wasn't a 5 star movie/Academy Award Nominee or some kind of serious documentary...that's why this is kind of embaressing that my spark came from..... Well, someone can probably guess the movie.
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 16:15   #20

Boat: Lagoon 420
If I recall correctly, the boat was pretty much the first casualty in the sequel.
Old 28-07-2007, 18:59   #21

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Well, someone can probably guess the movie.
"Bird on a wire" had a good scene of Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn sailing off into the sunset at the end to Aaron Neville singing the song Bird on a wire. That was pretty good. Don't keep us in suspense. What was the film?

Quote:
You stand at the roulette wheel of life and place your bets. You hope that you don't run out of freedom chips, time units, or health units. But if you live you dreams now, you win no matter how much money, time, or health you have in your purse.
Dave, you are a real dagg Just love that quote of yours.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 19:20   #22

Boat: Lagoon 420
I'm pretty sure Redbull is referring to Romancing the Stone.
Old 28-07-2007, 19:40   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I also remember that National Geographic article and thought it was pretty cool that someone could actually do it. But, for a boy in deep E. Texas, boats were something you used for fishing and skiing and sailboats, well, it was years before I ever saw anything bigger than a Sunfish.

Emotionally, though, the hook came with Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Southern Cross". Still brings tears to my eyes. Hopefully, within a couple of years, I'll be on that "downwind run to Papeete".

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 20:02   #24

The downwind run to Papeete was one of the most exiting parts of our trip. Three weeks of sailing downwind on the same tack, and at the end the run, you see the high volcanic Marquesas Islands rising out of the sea. When we hit the Marquesas, I finally felt like a real ocean cruiser.

The three thousand mile run to French polynesia was complicated by the fact that my son, David turned yellow - jaundice - about a week into the trip. He had gotten an ear infection in Galapagos while diving with the penguins, seals, and white tips sharks. We placed him on an antibiotic and set off for the Marquesas. Unfortunately, the antibiotic caused him to turn yellow as his liver didn't like the antiobiotic. For a few days I wondered if he had hepatitis, but I got out the medical books and discovered that the particular cephalosporin antibiotic can cause "Cholestatic jaundice". Anyway, he was extremely yellow, and I stopped the antibiotic. Two weeks later when we arrived in the Marquesas, the jaundice was barely detectable. Glad it wasn't hepatitis. Come to think of it, in our entire circumnavigation, I never met a person who got hepatitis while cruising. Hmm, looks like alot of the paranoia about how dangerous it is to cruise out there - yellow fever - malaria - hepatitis and the like must be over rated. I never met any cruisers who had any of those problems.

Long live the downwind run to French Polynesia!
Old 28-07-2007, 22:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
I'm pretty sure Redbull is referring to Romancing the Stone.

you got it
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 15:39   #26

Boat: Laguna 26
I have to disagree with you.....

Now keep in mind this wasn't a 5 star movie/Academy Award Nominee or some kind of serious documentary...that's why this is kind of embaressing that my spark came from..... Well, someone can probably guess the movie.[/QUOTE]

Romancing the stone is a great movie
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
:)

Romancing the Stone!!!!!!!! wow, nice 80's classic! going to rent it today
Old 06-09-2009, 15:51   #28

Boat: Catalina 36 - Heart Of Gold
1969...Robin Lee Graham sailed around the world, Bernard Moitessier sailed in the Vendee Around the World Challenge and kept on sailing right back to Tahiti...and I was reading The Bounty Trilogy and fantasizing about Tahiti....and suddenly I wanted to sail around the world, too.
A month or so ago we got our sailboat. "Soon" ( a relative term) we will be leaving.
bcolmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, sort of had the idea ever since I was 4. But it is all a process and not an easy one at times, unless you are a son of a millionaire and your parents are dead. Then again, it was never aimed at 'around the world', rather just to make a long sea journey and see how it is all like - how similar and how different from all I ever read in the books. And have a break from city life and from the job too.

Then making it financially viable took us some 10 years and actually from the day we bought the boat to the day we set off was like 2 months, but the whole process can be seen to have taken up 30 years - one can call it the 'latent phase'.

So we sailed to the other hemisphere and then it was easier to just keep on going West and so we 'unintentionally' sailed around the world.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 15:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, sort of had the idea ever since I was 4. But it is all a process and not an easy one at times, unless you are a son of a millionaire and your parents are dead. Then again, it was never aimed at 'around the world', rather just to make a long sea journey and see how it is all like - how similar and how different from all I ever read in the books. And have a break from city life and from the job too.

Then making it financially viable took us some 10 years and actually from the day we bought the boat to the day we set off was like 2 months, but the whole process can be seen to have taken up 30 years - one can call it the 'latent phase'.

So we sailed to the other hemisphere and then it was easier to just keep on going West and so we 'unintentionally' sailed around the world.

b.
You got that right. Once you start sailing west, it's easier to keep going unless you like high latitude sailing and lots of high latitude storms. The tradewind route around the world is the way of least resistance, at least it was for us.