Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2011, 19:42   #1

Sailing Courses

Aloha, all~~

I've conquered the Basic Keelboat course and would now like to take some additional sailing courses, such as celestial and other navigation courses, and would love some input with regard to quality, inexpensive schools here in the States, or anywhere else really- I can (and will!) travel. Or perhaps someone out there who'd like a liveaboard learner (with a fair amount of sailing experience) that doubles as a cook and variety show? Mahalo!
girlinflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 03:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Sailing Courses

Welcome to the forum girlinflight.
You may give our Crew Positions: Wanted & Available - Cruisers & Sailing Forums a go.
Good luck.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 03:49   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

E komo mai, girlinflight. If you're interested in local sailing courses, it'd be helpful to let us know where you hang out.

In the meantime, try using the CF Google custom search feature--click on the link in my sig line or use the "Search" pull-down menu near the top of the page. There are a lot of threads in our archives on sailing schools, many of them focused on specific geographical areas.
Old 17-07-2011, 15:29   #4

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

The US Power Squadron. There is a local chapter everywhere and their classes are inexpensive and very well run.
United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 18:56   #5

Thanks, Hud-- I am really flexible in where I can take courses, and am looking to begin traveling again so an inexpensive spot just may be the catalyst for this.

Thanks, Jerry-- Great suggestion, my Grandpa was a Power Squadron guy in Florida! He'd be so proud if I did the course(s) with them!
girlinflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 19:46   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
We used to teach courses like that for $3 a session here on the Big Island. Mostly us old guys are dwindling in numbers and energy now but if you hook up with a good sailing/yacht club they'll give you the direction you need. Wishing I could use the crew.
kind regards,
Old 24-07-2011, 11:57   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Some parts of the world have Community Sailing centers or co-op sailing clubs that bring down the cost of sailing and lessons, and some coastal community colleges sponsor sailing classes or programs. Example--Orange County in SoCal. Crewing on short-course buoy racing boats has that advantage that, if you get stuck with a bunch of jerks, you can be off the boat in a few hours, and the sailing is intense while it lasts, so you can learn fast -- though you only learn certain aspects of sailing.

Tags
sailing