Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 16:46   #1

Boat: Cavalier 37
Sailing Competencies

Hello, after sailing for many years around the paddocks (inland coastal waters) we are looking to go into deeper fields i.e. off shore.
I need some experience and possibly training to carry this on and want to go about this in the right way, can anyone suggest where I can start?
We are in Southern Australia.
briesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by briesey
Hello, after sailing for many years around the paddocks (inland coastal waters) we are looking to go into deeper fields i.e. off shore.
I need some experience and possibly training to carry this on and want to go about this in the right way, can anyone suggest where I can start?
We are in Southern Australia.
How far off-shore and what kind of boat?

If you have the basics of sailng down and can control the boat in various kinds of weather the next bit seems to add some navigation skills and weather management skills.

If you have years of sailing only dinghys you might have some bigger/keelboat skills to add but these aren't rocket science.

Do you have any specific questions that folks might address?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 23:52   #3

Hi thanks for your reply, in brief I have been sailing both off the beach boats and keel boats for many years so can manage without any problems. The boat we are currently looking at is a Cavalier 37 so we are committed to cruising from this point forward, mostly only two up, my wife and I.
Other than that my experience on the high seas is limited, I believe I have the sailing competences only lack the experience with navigational and off shore seamanship, we are joining a club that has a cruising group and I thought sailing short haul down the coast with other cruisers would help build confidence and experience and learn from those who are experienced while sailing our own boat.
I have been trying to find out what studies I can do or even if there are any legal or licensing requirements I need before setting out, any information you can offer would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sailing Competencies

If you are / feel competent on dinghies, then I would try to join a sailing club and / or join fellow sailors on keelboat daytrips / races, etc. now.

If you dig it then you may like to devote some time to getting some education and skills in coastal and offshore navigation, meteo, safety, crew, etc. skills too.

As you move on to the bigger boats you will see which skills and in what proportions get you forward fastest.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29   #5
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
One of the best things you can do is join a club and let it be know that you are always available even last minute. If you go whenever asked you will become a goto guy for boats low on crew.

This will also give you an eye opener on the many different ways people sail and approach problems.

You will learn more about how not to do things from your local club, this is true in most clubs, but this is important as well as learning better ways to do things.

Get some RYA books on navigation, the learning chart that goes with and some basic nav tools amd go at it yourself...

Once you have sea miles with others, some basic nav theory and practice go take some RYA sailing lessons you will zoom through them....

If you and partner can take time off nothing helps more than doing passages with a good skipper, one that has the desire and skill to teach on passage. Hard to find but gems

Edit: fyi there is a big difference in approach if you are looking more for cinfidence building than core skill buildng. Confidence buildng will happen faster sailing your own boat with others as you mention, core skill buildin like nav skills will happen faster when you are on other boats or take classess

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32   #6
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quick google came up with this

http://www.yachting.org.au/?Page=376...164%2F34295%2F

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:12   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briesey View Post
......... or even if there are any legal or licensing requirements I need before setting out, any information you can offer would be appreciated.
Assuming you already have a South Oz boating licence, then there are no other requirements (except as below) before setting off RTW (and you can toss the said licence once you are outside SA waters). This is also good when visiting other Aussie states however if you decide to relocate to another state, you can usually swap it for the new state equivalent (and some money of course).

I f you don't have one, then see here Applying for a boat licence - Government of South Australia

I also assume you know that you have to clear customs if setting sail for a foreign port and the vessel needs to be on the Australian Shipping Register. This is a bit of a tedious form filling excerise and costs a little under $1,000 (once only). See the AMSA website.

If you have VHF radio, you require a restricted radio operators certificate; usually available form a local boat club or sea rescue group. If you have a marine SSB (HF radio), you need a ship's station licence as well. Available for a yearly fee (about $50) from ACMA.

You need a EPRIB if you are 5 nautical miles from shore in Gulf of St Vincent or Spencer Gulf or 3 nautical miles from shore in other State waters, except Lakes Alexandrina or Albert. This needs to be registered with AMSA.

That should do the trick!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:21   #8

Thanks to all who commented I have something to work on and will follow up with.
Kind regards
Briesey
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22   #9

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Are you in South Australia or Southern Australia,

Give us your state and then we can give you more info relative to your state,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Are you in South Australia or Southern Australia,

Give us your state and then we can give you more info relative to your state,
Nicely spotted Mr B, I for one, incorrectly read South Australia hence the references to SA.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are / feel competent on dinghies, then I would try to join a sailing club and / or join fellow sailors on keelboat daytrips / races, etc. now.

If you dig it then you may like to devote some time to getting some education and skills in coastal and offshore navigation, meteo, safety, crew, etc. skills too.

As you move on to the bigger boats you will see which skills and in what proportions get you forward fastest.

b.
+1
Don't ignore the need for skills like anchoring/docking, MOB procedures, heavy weather setups/heaving to, etc.
These are probably best done on your own boat with a mentor/coach.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:35   #12

Southern Australia,

NSW, Vic, SA, WA, Tasmania, The 5 states of Southern Australia,

And 4 different Oceans, Tasman, Bass Straight, Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean,

Its also 5000 miles of coast line, We need to shrink it down some to help you, Hahahaha
Old 12-03-2012, 00:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Southern Australia,

NSW, Vic, SA, WA, Tasmania, The 5 states of Southern Australia,

And 4 different Oceans, Tasman, Bass Straight, Southern Ocean and Indian Ocean,

Its also 5000 miles of coast line, We need to shrink it down some to help you, Hahahaha
In Victoria, (Geelong) was not getting too specific at the start of the thread as I was only looking for general info but your correct I should have as it does change from state to state.
Old 12-03-2012, 00:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by briesey View Post
In Victoria, (Geelong) was not getting too specific at the start of the thread as I was only looking for general info but your correct I should have as it does change from state to state.
Well Sandringham yacht club has all the lessons for off shore yachting, other side of the bay to you tho,

Doesnt Geelong have sailing schools, Google sailing schools in Geelong or Port Phillip Bay,

Most sailing clubs on the eastern side of the bay have lessons,

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B

Well Sandringham yacht club has all the lessons for off shore yachting, other side of the bay to you tho,

Doesnt Geelong have sailing schools, Google sailing schools in Geelong or Port Phillip Bay,

Most sailing clubs on the eastern side of the bay have lessons,

Cheers,
Brian,
Thanks, will be joining a club soon so will explore, the other question I have is, you need a boat license inland, you need a car license on land, if you drive heavy equipment your required to have a specific license and associated training, what license/training is required to take a vessel off shore (outside australian waters) other than I think I know how to do it, is there a specific requirement in training and accreditation to do this?

Tags
sailing