Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2009, 02:52   #16

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
What type of features do you look for in a sailing jacket?

Is there any features you would like to see on a sailing jacket that are not currently offered?

When deciding on colour do you look for fashion or safety? What colour jacket is most popular?

Are there any new technologies that could be incorporated into the jacket to make sailing easier, for example GPS?
Some more thoughts in no particular order ....

Color: not white and not blue, green or black. They tend to look like waves. Man, it really hurts me to say black is a bad choice ...

Materials: I think you need to go with polyester due to the UV resistance. There may be others but the key point is UV resistance. Oh, and 2” bands of that 3M tape that shows well in low light.

Cut: Pre-bent elbows, knees and exceptionally mobile shoulders. I’d like these because the materials are often really stiff because you can’t get away with water resistant and light weight materials tend to wear our quickly. If sailors are dropping several hundred dollars on a set of foulies, they want to know that set will last. The pre-bent is to make up for the stiffness of the material. High collar (as in nose height) with a fleece lining for the same reason. It needs to be longish.

Waterproof zippers on areas to vent off the core but not at the armpits as the zippers are too stiff to work (and still be waterproof). Personally I think they should close if you pull them down and open as you pull up because it is easier in cold. Loops for the zippers.

The bottoms – I don’t have a strong opinion between bibs and salopettes other than if you go with bibs they should be high waisted and have wide strap, at least at the shoulders.

Closed cell foam for an integral knee pad.
… plus the other good ideas others of had. Do keep in mind that where the gear is used as a impact on the design. That’s why I like detachable liners.
I would not go with a watertight neckline. To me that either says either “get a dry suit” or “strangulation eminent.”

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 03:11   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

A hood that folds into the collar is great, but I would also like the option of fixing a more substantial hood to the collar when needed.

I also like slip in hand warmer pockets.

ability to fix on a harness / lifejacket is a big plus to me.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clothing