Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 07:32   #1

Sailing Basics [St. Kitts]

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, and first insight into sailing/boating in general, so I apologize if I say anything stupid because I know absolutely nothing about boating/sailing.

I am going to be spending a lot of time in Caribbean as I am in the process of getting a vacation home in St. Kitts. A lot of my friends have recommended that I take up sailing and boating. I became interested because I would like to travel between St. Kitts and the Virgin Islands (USVI/BVI).

So here are my questions:

1) Do I need a license or permit to sail on a small yacht around St. Kitts and regionally to places like Cayman, USVI, BVI, TCI and the Bahamas? If so, what are the specifics/details.

2) In terms of difficulty how hard is it to learn how to sail on a small yacht and what is the difficulty and price of maintaining a small yacht in comparison with a car and single piston aircraft.

3) How dangerous is it to sail around the above listed countries, what is the likelihood of having the vessel stolen or being kidnapped in these waters?

4) Firearms permit, what are the requirements for possessing a firearm on a vessel in St. Kitts and the rest of the Caribbean and British Overseas Territories?

---
I will post more questions later under this thread.
Kree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, Cayman, danger, difficulty, firearms, licenses, permits, sail, sailing, St Kitts, TCI, usvi, yacht