Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 05:44   #16

Re: Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Why are you guys so interested in this flotsam with ideas of grandeur?
I agree. When I said that I have followed this a little bit, I meant a very, VERY little bit.

Mostly, the guy is just a complete nut-case who needs to be ignored. Unfortunately, in this day and age, nut-cases who mostly need to be ignored seem to get the most attention (see any successful "reality TV show" for an example).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:15   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I agree. When I said that I have followed this a little bit, I meant a very, VERY little bit.

Mostly, the guy is just a complete nut-case who needs to be ignored. Unfortunately, in this day and age, nut-cases who mostly need to be ignored seem to get the most attention (see any successful "reality TV show" for an example).
Looks like he's already covered quite a bit of ocean though from Alaska to Hawaii to San Francisco to Pago Pago. (if I'm reading this correctly)

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:49   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like he's already covered quite a bit of ocean though from Alaska to Hawaii to San Francisco to Pago Pago. (if I'm reading this correctly)

https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus
Which leads to a very important question:
Does time on the ocean, or distance traveled make the sailor?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:26   #19
gfh

Quote:
Why are you guys so interested in this flotsam with ideas of grandeur? I mean I thought he was interesting if he really was poor and making a go of it because there was no other way. But he has been offered a better boat, sailing lessons etc and he refuses it all. I would rather follow someone I can relate to. I cannot understand someone who will not better himself because he is making history (in his own mind).
It's fascinating. Wrong boat. No knowledge. No sailing skill. No money. Defiance in the face of repeated and catastrophic failure. A resolute belief that he's going for a record that obviously doesn't exist. All told in real time, in a language that I honestly find beautiful and poetic despite its damage.

All the night it was sqealls later are coming more also was a lot of rain i can t stop in hilo hawaii i don t have dinhgy and engine the most i am struggling.

Why do people read Don Quixote? Why do people like anything? Who cares?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:02   #20

Looks like Rimas is showing that being patient is a good quality in a cruising sailor.........now if he just had a better/bigger boat.

I hope he doesn't try sailing around Cape Horn though.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Looks like Rimas is showing that being patient is a good quality in a cruising sailor.........now if he just had a better/bigger boat.

I almost take offense when you say "better boat." The San Juans are a fine piece of work!

After seeing the movie "Kon-Tiki" my opinion is anyone can make it around the world in any boat if they are skilled enough to do it, and luck is on their side.

I recently watched "Maiden Voyage" and that girl is bad ass! I know her boat was more bluewater worthy, but from the documentary it looked like the weather was in her favor the entire trip, and some people can be that lucky.
NoQuarter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:10   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I know a guy who soloed around the world on a Folk Boat which are 25 feet in length.

It's not the length that matters but the condition of the vessel and the mental attitude and knowledge of the skipper that determines how safe the voyage..

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47   #23

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
To go back to thomm....I will never wish to do what this guy is doing. I consider sailing a challenge to do as well as possible, and I consider my tool important and should be sharp. He turned down a bigger more seaworthy boat because he considers first circumnavigation with a San Juan 24 glorious.
A key part of the gloriousness of cruising (for me) is the self-sufficiency in planning and executing the whole expedition with safety, comfort, and without extreme stress.

Extreme stress stems from not having full confidence in the boat, equipment, and on-board routines to meet cruising challenges like gales, storms, boat-handling, watches, etc.

In summary, doing it the right way for me! I can't relate to the concept of going out there to suffer.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter79 View Post
I almost take offense when you say "better boat." The San Juans are a fine piece of work!

After seeing the movie "Kon-Tiki" my opinion is anyone can make it around the world in any boat if they are skilled enough to do it, and luck is on their side.

I recently watched "Maiden Voyage" and that girl is bad ass! I know her boat was more bluewater worthy, but from the documentary it looked like the weather was in her favor the entire trip, and some people can be that lucky.
Well, nothing against the San Juan but you can compare it to the Contessa 26 in Maiden Voyage (and my boat) which were both based on the Folkboat.

Also, I just thought the guy needed all the help he could get after reading 30 or 40 pages worth of his exploits over on SA.

SAN JUAN 24 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

CONTESSA 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

BRISTOL 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Tatetsumu Kidokoro, a retired Japanese Defense Forces sergeant, sailed alone around the world in RED SUN, a 24 foot sloop, in the early 1990s. He was a real kick. I gave him a hand repairing his boat in San Diego, and he sent me all sorts of cool photos. My favorite was of him in a red Speedo swimsuit, lying under a small red umbrella on a white beach with his boat anchored in the background . Only, the beach is ice, the boat is sitting next to an iceberg, and the location is the Antarctic. He also sailed around Cape Horn three times, having learned he could get a certificate if he went back to Chile for it, so he did. Here's a photo of him from Wikipedia:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traditional_Samurai_Yoroi_armor.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	99852  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:19   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

That is impressive Roy. A real sailor. Does he keep any website/blog/posting on the internet?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:43   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

I have met people like him sailing everywhere in boats about the same. I do not see why people get excited. Every year there are people doing about the same kind of thing, everywhere. Some make it, some give up, some drown. Some are trying to make much publicity, some are avoiding any publicity.

It is none of our business if he can or cannot sail. He has never come to this forum asking our advice, has he?

Making judgements is bang easy. Going out and doing anything is much tougher. Most never try.

I hope that guy will have his fun out there trying to achieve whatever he wants to achieve.

Navigare necesse est and the other thing is an optional extra. Swallow it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:23   #28

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:

It would probably help if Rimas took the time to actually learn how to sail. Time after time he was offered help from very competent sailors, and each time he couldn't be bothered.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 13:09   #29

Boat: Catalina 387

After 100+ days in a sailboat a blind seasick beagle would have taught himself how to sail. The fact that Rimas hasn't is astonishing.

I don't think I could stand going from SF to Samoa at 1.5kts. I'd go insane.

The story is interesting - 'cause it's bizarre. Ya gotta give him credit for being out there and doing. But it's still bizarre.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 19:23   #30

Boat: Macgregor 26D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
After 100+ days in a sailboat a blind seasick beagle would have taught himself how to sail. The fact that Rimas hasn't is astonishing.

I don't think I could stand going from SF to Samoa at 1.5kts. I'd go insane.

The story is interesting - 'cause it's bizarre. Ya gotta give him credit for being out there and doing. But it's still bizarre.
I think you have it there. Not sure you can give him credit. I don't think it's due. He is just not rational. I don't think he can help being so bizarre.
Is there no law that would keep someone as reckless as he off the water? He has demonstrated his incompetence numerous time.
If he leaves Samoa we will all watch the GPS until it quits sending a signal. Just like a slow motion train wreck. Sad but I don't think it will get as far as the horn.

By the way the Anarchy guys are looking forward to the cruisers joining in over there... Just read the posting rules first!
Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24 - Page 80 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
finding41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world, sail, sailing, san juan