Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 08:58   #1

Sailing across the gulf of Mexico to Central America

Hello. At the moment I am trying to plan an around the world journey. All self Propelled. Kayak, sail, bike, walk from Indiana to Patagonia. A huge question on my mind is; do many boats sail across the gulf? After kayaking from Indiana to the Gulf of Mexico I will be looking to set sail from anywhere near New Orleans at the end of this year (Nov-Dec), headed to Anywhere in Central America. How hard will it be for me to find a boat that will welcome my help to get across? How long would it take? Is it possible? I don't have a lot of sailing experience, but have been an outdoor professional for the past 9 years, am an extremely hard worker and great company. Please help in any ways you can.
Woody62791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 17:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Sailing across the gulf of Mexico to Central America

In the past year I've seen a couple boats looking for crew headed to the Western Caribbean from the gulf. A crew position is possible. 2 weeks for the trip off the top of my head. How do you feel about the skipper motoring when there is no wind? Seems like a kink in your altruistic journey.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 19:07   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

From the mouth of the Mississippi to isla mujeres mx is roughly 5-6 days. Add another 2-3 to get to Guatemala.

Thats assuming that the boat doesn’t stop in Mexico for a few months or spend a few months in Belize on the way to Guatemala.

You’ll also spend some time in the US waiting for a weather window to head south.

And as said above, there will be some motoring. To get into the gulf, usually some to fight the Gulf Stream for the last 1-2 days when you’re getting closer to Mexico by day but loosing ground by night when the wind goes light.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 15:10   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

To directly answer your questions: yes, Gulf of Mexico (GOM) crossings by cruising sail boats are common as is them looking for crew. So it is feasible. Post in the Crew Wanted section here.

Consider seasonal timing too: not many want to brave a GOM crossing in hurricane season. Winter months can get nasty too (...and the GOM can get epically nasty)...the earlier you can jump in winter months the better to avoid frequent and strong fronts, but Nov-Dec is not uncommon to get down to, or back from, the W Carib right after hurricane season. The spring season is the most settled. Now thru early June is a good time.

Also, in my experience most head for Isla from the Texas or Florida coasts...you might fare better looking for a ride from there. You could bike/hike/paddle to either from the Mississippi.

Of course, you can also go self propelled thru Mexico or along the Mexican coast (long way round though).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, gulf of mexico, Mexico, sail, sailing